Sony A6000

c230k

Veeeeeery pleased with yesterday's outing!

Opening up the roof after our victory (we're spoiled in AZ - watch a ballgame in a/c building, open up the roof for fireworks - wonderful!)

niQXO_W7DUwExc0SIGf58XQ06W9LB1Amlt6U6sSE=w1133-h672-no

-F6JVAV-dP45u2VSo1gyZtim_sRdmYpUfHaUvv3l=w1351-h672-no

Locked it in at ISO 400, used shutter priority and hunted between 1/4 and 2 seconds. Mostly autofocus - tried a few manually but couldn't keep up. All handheld! (The clamp was too small for the railing - oh well)

2 second exposure - unbelievable!

ySHHwiyQIN1MliCXsGLPtyHaTJxIlvybCRTPhJ7g=w888-h672-no

These were a .6 second I believe:

8V5-_80SjA1dHTCenYt4q9ka5nJa-uQgQ5ynh0ah=w792-h672-no

mlEYKPzpoFjXCSV5LtqBhKhd-5GKzJZBb7MafaRj=w904-h672-no

Great evening! Light little capable camera that was easy to carry all evening, victory over the Rockies, and best: celebrating this great country with thousands of fellow Americans.

Everybody probably knows this already, but just in case I thought I'd share:

At the fireworks, I had the top dial in the memory recall setting, firing away, and decided to shoot some video to see how it would come out.

In that mode, apparently it overrides any of the "normal" video settings you may have - so when I hit the red "video" button, I wound up with very "stuttered" (I.E. crazy slow frame rate due to the 1/2 second shutter speed memory setting the dial was set to) video. The audio came out very nice, I must say, but the jerky video - not so much :D.

So, just in case you find yourself in a similar situation, flip the top dial to video before shooting.

Everybody probably knows this already, but just in case I thought I'd share:

At the fireworks, I had the top dial in the memory recall setting, firing away, and decided to shoot some video to see how it would come out.

In that mode, apparently it overrides any of the "normal" video settings you may have - so when I hit the red "video" button, I wound up with very "stuttered" (I.E. crazy slow frame rate due to the 1/2 second shutter speed memory setting the dial was set to) video. The audio came out very nice, I must say, but the jerky video - not so much :D.

So, just in case you find yourself in a similar situation, flip the top dial to video before shooting.

What happened to you is the reason Gary Fong advises that you set the camera so it won't shoot video unless it's in movie mode (that is, it won't shoot video if it's in any of the other shooting modes).

Menu/Tools/screen 6 ....set Movie Button to "movie mode only."

Looking for a good mid range lens for the A6000. Any one try Sony SEL2870 FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens for full frame,equal to 42-105 mm on the A6000?

Tom :cool:

What happened to you is the reason Gary Fong advises that you set the camera so it won't shoot video unless it's in movie mode (that is, it won't shoot video if it's in any of the other shooting modes).

Menu/Tools/screen 6 ....set Movie Button to "movie mode only."

Beautiful - thanks!

Looking for a good mid range lens for the A6000. Any one try Sony SEL2870 FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens for full frame,equal to 42-105 mm on the A6000?

A lot of FE talk in your posts Tom...

Hmmmmm.

Dave

A lot of FE talk in your posts Tom...

Hmmmmm.

Dave

You are really good at encouraging folks to open their wallets! :) :) :)

Speaking of which, I've been monitoring the prices on the Rokinon 12mm. It was $319 a few weeks ago when I started, and then yesterday, the black lens went UP to $329 on B&H, while the silver remains at $319. The black is still $319 on Amazon and Adorama. Weird!

DXOMARK gives this lens second best for A6000 zoom lens.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-lenses-for-the-Sony-A6000-Primes-and-Zooms/Best-zoom-lenses-on-the-Sony-A6000

You are really good at encouraging folks to open their wallets! :) :) :)

Speaking of which, I've been monitoring the prices on the Rokinon 12mm. It was $319 a few weeks ago when I started, and then yesterday, the black lens went UP to $329 on B&H, while the silver remains at $319. The black is still $319 on Amazon and Adorama. Weird!

Just the facts, ma'am...just the facts.

I too have been tempted by the FE cameras and have been considering only FE compatible lenses lately (24-240, Rokinon 85mm) to lessen the pain if I ever make the leap. As of now, I am happy with APS-C and hoping the A6000 follower will feature a version of the sensor in the A7R II and have stabilization.

Until then, I am still all warm and fuzzy towards the A6000!

As for the 12mm...at $319, it is $80 cheaper than I paid for it. Are you having fun not shooting with yours? ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

As for the 12mm...at $319, it is $80 cheaper than I paid for it. Are you having fun not shooting with yours? ;)

Dave

Ha! I think you killed me when you mentioned that one day Amazon special (just before Father's Day) (after it was over) for, what, $266?

I have a trip this fall that I'd really like to have this lens for, and I'll likely buy it this summer, but I have time to watch the prices for a bit. The price increase for the black copy on B&H today was crazy, though. Not that $10 is material, just that it seems crazy to me.

Even though I haven't posted much here, you guys were integral in my final decision to get the Sony A6000. I bought an extra used body recently, and have been looking for bags that meet carry on limits for two bodies and up to 4 lenses, along with extras. So far, I've added the Think Tank Urban Approach 15 to my wish list, but was hoping for something with more nooks and crannies for the odds and ends. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Also, if you were going to AK with only two lenses, which would they be: 55-210 (this one has to go, I've got the extender for it), 10-18mm, 50mm prime, 18-105mm)? I want to take them all but don't want the weight. It's agony, I'm telling you! lol

I use the Thinktank Suburban Disguise 30. Look herehttp://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/sub-urban-disguise.aspx

They have different sizes, I like the 30, can carry my iPad (photo backup and view) (2) A6000, lens attached, FZ200, and 55-210,28-70,10-18, backup hard drive card reader. Plus room for batteries, cards. Use this bag for cruising, better to take all my toys than leave them at home and wished I had them.

Ha! I think you killed me when you mentioned that one day Amazon special (just before Father's Day) (after it was over) for, what, $266?

I have a trip this fall that I'd really like to have this lens for, and I'll likely buy it this summer, but I have time to watch the prices for a bit. The price increase for the black copy on B&H today was crazy, though. Not that $10 is material, just that it seems crazy to me.

Watch Amazon on July 15. Since the Rokinons are common sale items, they may be good candidates for the 20th anniversary sale extravaganza.

Dave

Watch Amazon on July 15. Since the Rokinons are common sale items, they may be good candidates for the 20th anniversary sale extravaganza.

Dave

Thanks. I actually look at Amazon each day. :)

They have been hyping big sales on the 15th for members of Amazon Prime (I'm not). It's not clear whether those will be all of the deals that day.

(Meanwhile, I see the black version is back to $319 at B&H today; not sure if they had a computer fart yesterday when they priced it higher than the silver.)

Edited by Turtles06

I use the Thinktank Suburban Disguise 30. Look herehttp://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/sub-urban-disguise.aspx

They have different sizes, I like the 30, can carry my iPad (photo backup and view) (2) A6000, lens attached, FZ200, and 55-210,28-70,10-18, backup hard drive card reader. Plus room for batteries, cards. Use this bag for cruising, better to take all my toys than leave them at home and wished I had them.

Thank you. I will check that one out. I have a smaller hiking bag, but have now outgrown my 'take both cameras' bag. [emoji4]

Thanks. I actually look at Amazon each day. :)

They have been hyping big sales on the 15th for members of Amazon Prime (I'm not). It's not clear whether those will be all of the deals that day.

(Meanwhile, I see the black version is back to $319 at B&H today; not sure if they had a computer fart yesterday when they priced it higher than the silver.)

If it is a screaming deal, you can always sign up for the 30-day trial. I did that to get the (at the time) $4.99 overnight shipping on a laptop I needed for work. Non-prime overnight shipping was $105 and my first year of Prime was $79...net cost = free. I have been a prime member for years and find it to be very worthwhile for us, especially with the huge free streaming library available.

Good luck!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Ok a SENIOR moment, why when the shutter is pushed, I get 3 quick shutter clicks that create one picture. It use to be one click????

In-camera HDR or ISO set to multi-frame NR.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Shooting pano is not that hard, of course, but here's a very short video I just found from Robert Wilson with tips on doing so with the a6000, including a short cut for changing the direction in which you want to shoot.

Found my problem. Multi Frame NR in ISO setting its "ISO AUTO" I accidentally had it on and couldn't figure out why the 3 shots. I ended up setting the camera back to default. Lesson learned.