Hotel Government Rates

Bruin Steve

Okay, this one may be a bit off the wall:

As typical, we're cruising out of Fort Lauderdale next March during Spring Break...and, yes, hotel rates are sky high...

Most of the 17th Street hotels are asking $250 and up--even with AAA and AARP discounts...

The Dania Beach/Airport hotels, usually a good lower cost back-up, are even higher (The Hyatt properties and the Springhill on Sterling are all asking well over $300 for our date)...

I did manage to find an AAA rate at the Homewood on Griffin for $188 and initially reserved that...

I had never even considered that we might be eligible for a government rate...but, today I was surfing around the hotel sites...and took a look at government rates...Most are a little lower, but no great bargains--EXCEPT at a couple of Hilton properties...

The Homewood as well as the Hampton Inn over on Sterling both have a "State Government Rate" at a mere $124 per night! On a date when most hotels in the area are asking $300+, that's quite a deal...

So, I took a good read of the eligibility requirements for Hilton Corp for this rate...and it says "State or LOCAL Government employee with ID"...Now, my wife just happens to be an employee of the Los Angeles Unified School District--which IS a "local government" entity...Should this not make us eligible for this rate?

Has anyone else used the Hilton State Government rate to book a hotel? What is your experience with this?

Thanks.

We use govt rates all the time at hilton properties along with many other locations. My husband has a federal govt id. We have been asked to show it on occaision. In fact we have a room booked with it in dania beach homewood suites for our cruise in 2016. I know this doesnt exactly help you with your question, but does she have an ID identifying her as a local govt employee?

True "Government Rates" are listed by hotels that can meet the standards required by the government for travel stay and reimbursement. They have more to do with the condition of the safety features than anything else. Hotels submit these rates once a year. Front desk attendants often won't ask for any government identification. However, during a high demand period they may be directed to do so. As long as your wife has some type of state or local government I'd in that case, it's fine. If she doesn't, worst case scenario they will tell you you do not qualify for that rate and will quote you a higher rate.

...does she have an ID identifying her as a local govt employee?

She has identification that identifies her as an employee of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

... worst case scenario they will tell you you do not qualify for that rate and will quote you a higher rate.

My fear is only that they refuse to accept her qualifications and try to charge us, at check-in, for whatever the exorbitant then-current going rate for the room might be. We're giving up the $188 AAA rate at the Homewood to take that $124 State Government rate at the Hampton (I prefer the Hampton in that it is close walking distance to restaurants and shopping whereas the Homewood is more remote). Without any special rate, the current asking price for the Hampton is NOW, almost 10 months prior, is $259!!!

I worked in hotel revenue management for 29 years. A front desk attendant that will question a qualifying identification are even fewer than the ones that will ask for in the first place. They're underpaid, overworked, and expected to go above and beyond for every guest. I'm not saying it can't happen. But it's a rare occurrence in my experience.

She has identification that identifies her as an employee of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

My fear is only that they refuse to accept her qualifications and try to charge us, at check-in, for whatever the exorbitant then-current going rate for the room might be. We're giving up the $188 AAA rate at the Homewood to take that $124 State Government rate at the Hampton (I prefer the Hampton in that it is close walking distance to restaurants and shopping whereas the Homewood is more remote). Without any special rate, the current asking price for the Hampton is NOW, almost 10 months prior, is $259!!!

I would call ( block your phone number) the hotel directly and ask if your wife's ID qualifies. You don't have to give them your name.

I would definitely speak to someone higher then the front desk clerk. Notate who you talked to and when, if the answer is yes, have them send you an e mail stating so.

I would call ( block your phone number) the hotel directly and ask if your wife's ID qualifies. You don't have to give them your name.

I would definitely speak to someone higher then the front desk clerk. Notate who you talked to and when, if the answer is yes, have them send you an e mail stating so.

Excellent advice -especially since OP is booking under the more restrictive 'state and local' rate. They should be able to tell you if that is only for Florida state and local employees. Before I retired I had a federal ID and Hilton family hotels did occasionally ask to see it when using the general 'government' rate.

I wrote directly to Hilton yesterday, giving the specifics of my wife's employment...and this morning received email confirmation directly from Hilton that we ARE definitely eligible for the State Government employees rate..

I made a reservation for $124 on the State Government rate for the Hampton Inn on Stirling...and cancelled my previous reservation for the Homewood.

I've saved a copy of the Hilton email in case there is any question at check-in.

I doubt I'll find a better rate anywhere for that date--so, it looks like we are set.

I wrote directly to Hilton yesterday, giving the specifics of my wife's employment...and this morning received email confirmation directly from Hilton that we ARE definitely eligible for the State Government employees rate..

I made a reservation for $124 on the State Government rate for the Hampton Inn on Stirling...and cancelled my previous reservation for the Homewood.

I've saved a copy of the Hilton email in case there is any question at check-in.

I doubt I'll find a better rate anywhere for that date--so, it looks like we are set.

That's fantastic! Enjoy your cruise!

Excellent information, I am going to see if Dudette still has her school board ID. This rather reminds of a fellow I know who travelled a lot and always asked for and received General Motors corp/ rate.....never once was he asked for ID.

During peak rates, my front desk employees always asked for ID for a government rate.

School teachers would not pass the muster.

We required them to be on official government business.

That's key, being on official government business. Sometimes you will have to produce government travel orders showing that you are there on official business. I know of few hotels that allow government employees on vacation to receive government rates.

Regardless of all that, readers should simply call the hotel and ask.

So, I took a good read of the eligibility requirements for Hilton Corp for this rate...and it says "State or LOCAL Government employee with ID"...Now, my wife just happens to be an employee of the Los Angeles Unified School District--which IS a "local government" entity...Should this not make us eligible for this rate?

I think that is a big stretch. But give them a telephone call to clarify.