Arriving for PG cruise from Hawaii - questions

OPSnorkeler

We are interested to hear how the experience has gone for you if you had similar travel arrangements. It seems to me that way back when I first started reading this board, some of you mentioned that you have flown in and out via Hawaii.

Here is what travel looks like for us. Since we will be in Hawaii for one week before our September 12-19th PG cruise, we will be arriving in Papeete at 9:30PM on the 9th on the only Hawaiian Air flight of the week. We will also return to Hawaii for two more weeks on the only flight back at 11:30 PM on Saturday the 12th.

I verified with PG that they wait for the HA flight each week and we arranged the transfer through PG in order to be doubly sure that they know that we are coming.

We also booked a day room for the 12th - again through PG via our travel agent. We were given a reservation that includes transfers (ship to hotel & hotel to airport) at the Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort. It also includes a 1/2 day tour of Papeete. My guess is that is included so that we don't arrive early at the hotel.

Do you see any issues with these plans? Does anyone have experience with the Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort?

Also, I am assuming that we are arriving too late to get snorkel gear from the Marina and will have to get it the next day. Right?

And if we need food once on the ship (I'm not sure if HA will feed us in coach), will something be available?

We have traveled a lot, but this is our first experience in FP and with PG, so we are uncertain about how this will go.

Last year we did exactly this. Hawaiian Airlines round trip to Papeete but our flights were two weeks apart. The flights wee good. I spent the extra $$$ for economy comfort and got a seat - there are a few - with NO seat in front of me allowing to fully stretch out. I think it was $75 each way.

Hawaiian is the only USA airline to feed you in coach for no charge. That being said, the food sucked. Buy something at the airport and bring it on board with you. Snacks were good at least. There is always food available on the PG. If there is an ATN flight also landing when yours is they usually have a small buffet set up for all the late arrivals. 2 years ago half the ship arrived at 11pm on one of my cruises.

Tahiti Pearl used to be the Radisson. I have never been there but opinions vary greatly.

Too bad you won't have a lot time to spend in Papeete. While you have your day room I would definitely venture over to the Marche area. Also maybe head to the Roulettes for dinner. You can't check in to the flight until 3 hours before the flight.

Have fun!

Edited by twin123185

I would offer two suggestions. First, pay a few bucks extra and get the Intercontinental day room. From comparing notes with friends that went to the Pearl, we agreed the IC was the better option. Second, take the transfer direct to the hotel. Skip the tour. Not much to see and lots of time in traffic with constant doses of local political opinion from our guide. Those who went to the hotel direct were lounging by the pool or snacking in the bar.:D

Now that Jim has mentioned the IC...Agreed.

Skip the tour and stay at the IC. I don't like giving opinions of places I haven't been to but I know plenty of people that have left the Radisson in disgust and went to the IC. Of course I have no idea what Pearl Resorts has done to the Radisson since taking over.

We have over nighted at both hotels. If you are only using the hotel as a day room it really doesn't matter. The Radison is is a bit quieter but the IC is larger and offers more to do.

If I was staying over night, I would chose the IC. It is a bit more convenient than the Radison. The public bus passes by the IC for going downtown. Definitely go to the marche or public market if you have time. It has the lowest prices of all French Polynesia.

The tour is interesting in that you do see the countryside of the island and a cultural museum and along with a sacred site. It is good to do at least once. We have done it twice and that was enough for us.

Don't worry, you will have a good time. You will have enough food once on board at any hour!!!!

We are interested to hear how the experience has gone for you if you had similar travel arrangements. It seems to me that way back when I first started reading this board, some of you mentioned that you have flown in and out via Hawaii.

Here is what travel looks like for us. Since we will be in Hawaii for one week before our September 12-19th PG cruise, we will be arriving in Papeete at 9:30PM on the 9th on the only Hawaiian Air flight of the week. We will also return to Hawaii for two more weeks on the only flight back at 11:30 PM on Saturday the 12th.

HAWAIIAN ONLY FLIES TO AND FROM PAPEETE ON SATURDAYS. THAT MEANS YOU WILL BE ARRIVING IN PAPEETE ON THE 12TH AND NOT THE 9TH. YOUR FLIGHT BACK SHOULD BE ON THE 19TH.

I verified with PG that they wait for the HA flight each week and we arranged the transfer through PG in order to be doubly sure that they know that we are coming.

WE ALSO HAD IT VERIFIED - AND WE REQUESTED A COPY OF THAT VERIFICATION IN WRITING TO CARRY WITH US. THE PG DRIVER MET US JUST OUTSIDE BAGGAGE CLAIM AT THE AIRPORT.

We also booked a day room for the 12th - again through PG via our travel agent. We were given a reservation that includes transfers (ship to hotel & hotel to airport) at the Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort. It also includes a 1/2 day tour of Papeete. My guess is that is included so that we don't arrive early at the hotel.

UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED, THE DAY ROOM/TRANSFER IDEA ALSO ALLOWS YOU TO STAY ON THE SHIP LONGER AND HAVE LUNCH BEFORE DISEMBARKING. THAT SHOULD BE ON THE 19TH.

Do you see any issues with these plans? Does anyone have experience with the Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort?

NO ISSUES, BUT WE REALLY DISLIKED THE (THEN) RADISSON.

Also, I am assuming that we are arriving too late to get snorkel gear from the Marina and will have to get it the next day. Right?

And if we need food once on the ship (I'm not sure if HA will feed us in coach), will something be available?

COMPLIMENTARY 24-HOUR ROOM SERVICE ON BOARD.

We have traveled a lot, but this is our first experience in FP and with PG, so we are uncertain about how this will go.

Bon voyage!!

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm relieved to hear from people who have experienced these travel arrangements.

After reading your comments, I sent an email to my travel agent last night requesting the IC instead of the Pearl for our day room. I will contact him by phone tomorrow if I don't hear back from him.

Yes, you are right that we will arrive on Saturday the 12th and leave on the 19th. I didn't notice that I had typed that wrong.

I like the idea that we might be able to stay on the ship through lunch before going to our day room and that food will be available upon arrival if needed.

What do you think about the snorkel gear? Will it be a problem getting the right sizes the next day? Do you think that we should bring our own?

I've heard that the old Radisson (new Pearl) has become rundown and badly-run. Our previous experiences have been very positive. But for a dayroom it matters little. There is a beautiful pool, and it overlooks a black sand beach. I really enjoyed watching the locals on the beach.

It is farther away from the airport than the IC, and is in fact much quieter. Unless you are very interested in history or anthropology, skip the tour and just chill out at the hotel.

And if you choose the Pearl, consider arranging a cab to the airport instead of hanging around waiting for the bus to fill up. Beating the lines at the (chaotic) airport makes it worthwhile. In fact, that goes for the IC too.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Good news! I just received an email from my TA and we are now reserved for a day room at the IC instead of the Pearl.

Regarding the snorkel gear, do they not have fins because they are not allowed, so as not to hit the coral or can we use them if we bring our own. Also, do they provide life vests?

Snorkel gear readily available on the PG. I like my gear better but i want to bring less in my luggage. They don't supply fins.

Are you sure about the fins? I could swear I got fins from them (brought my own mask/snorkel, which I prefer)

Hello OPSnorkeler,

We look forward to welcoming you on the m/s Paul Gauguin. We do offer complimentary 24-hour room service if you would like something after you arrive. The complimentary snorkeling gear can be checked out and used throughout the duration of the voyage and consists of a mask, snorkel, fins, and a bag to carry them in. Please check the daily program, that you will receive in your stateroom, for the times the ship's marina is open each day to check out snorkel gear.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Edited by pgcruises

Thank you all so much for your help.

We are really looking forward to this new experience and know that we will enjoy it. I'm sure that we will be happy that we chose this way to celebrate our 40th anniversary.

We love experiencing new places and meeting new people. Over the years, we have made some wonderful friends on our various cruises and look forward to the new friends that we will meet on the PG.