Earthquakes?

theriac

Are they likely, unlikely, or imminent?

I saw in the news a 6.7 magnitude quake hit by Kodiak island yesterday and it got me thinking. Does it occur on the other side of the Gulf in SE Alaska?

I don't know if it matters but I'm going in late June out of Seattle to Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, TAF, and Victoria.

Being from Florida I'm not experienced with them. I can handle wind and rain, but I'd like to be prepared if the ground starts shaking

Are they likely, unlikely, or imminent? They are not predictable. So the answer is yes, no, maybe.

I saw in the news a 6.7 magnitude quake hit by Kodiak island yesterday and it got me thinking. Does it occur on the other side of the Gulf in SE Alaska? The entire Alaskan coast line, out the Aleutians, over to Japan and also down the West Coast of the US is on the "Ring of Fire"- a very active geologic area. Look up "plate tectonics".

I don't know if it matters but I'm going in late June out of Seattle to Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, TAF, and Victoria.

Being from Florida I'm not experienced with them. I can handle wind and rain, but I'd like to be prepared if the ground starts shaking

See above.

See above.

Thanks for your response. I'm familiar with how it all happens I didn't realize the ring of fire went that high though.

As to earthquakes can happen in Florida. Yes they can, but the last one was in 77' on the Alabama/Florida border and it was only .8 magnitude quake.

On the west coast from Alaska to California earthquakes are a fact of life. Fortunately most are minor and seldom felt. We know there is a big one going to hit the Pacific Northwest likely sometime in the next 100 years .... is it predictable, no.....is likely to happen while you are in Alaska, probably not. You probably have a greater risk of getting hit on the way to the grocery market in Florida then feeling an earthquake while in Alaska.

On the west coast from Alaska to California earthquakes are a fact of life. Fortunately most are minor and seldom felt. We know there is a big one going to hit the Pacific Northwest likely sometime in the next 100 years .... is it predictable, no.....is likely to happen while you are in Alaska, probably not. You probably have a greater risk of getting hit on the way to the grocery market in Florida then feeling an earthquake while in Alaska.

Fortunately I haven't been hit in years, but it wouldn't surprise me with my Larry David type mentality and mouth. ;)

I'm familiar with how it all happens I didn't realize the ring of fire went that high though.

In addition to the Alaska Earthquake Center website (http://www.aeic.alaska.edu) you may find the Alaska Volcano Observatory website also interesting (http://www.avo.alaska.edu). And just "google" the 1964 Alaska earthquake as over 130 people were killed and the tsunami wave was simply incredible. A number of coastal Alaskan communities, such as Seward, have tsunami evacuation signs mapping the routes.

Those stormy seas between the two inside passages can feel like you are in a quake. It's not the driver.

Statistically it's not likely you will encounter a major quake when you are there for only a half day in port. If a quake occurs when you are at sea... you will be likely be in the best situation as the ship is a floating city that can relocate itself from danger. In an excursion? Just watch and follow what the tour guide is doing.... which way did he go?

I think you would be in bigger trouble when the quakes comes to Seattle/Vancouver. Have you heard what happens when there is a hockey game?

Just watch and follow what the tour guide is doing.... which way did he go?

Since many of the tourism workers aren't from Alaska, they may not know what to do either!

The only ports where tsunami danger is high, Sitka and Seward, routinely test their warning equipment and evacuation process. If one happens to strike while you're ashore, follow the people in dirty Carhartt's. They're locals.

I just finished Stan Cohen's book "8.6" as part of my pre-travel reading list. You can pick up a used copy for a couple of bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/8-6-Great-Alaska-Earthquake-March/dp/092952196X

The 1964 earthquake did an amazing amount of damage. This book is full of interesting photographs.

One of the truly odd things about human risk perception is that we tend to worry about really unlikely hazards, like being in Alaska on the day of a big earthquake, but don't worry about the things that are most likely to hurt us, like getting type 2 diabetes from overeating and a sedentary life style. But I digress.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Edited by Mercruiser

Being a California native and experienced a 7.2 in San Diego, earthquakes are a part of our life. However, unlike tornadoes when they have a yearly season and almost guaranteed you will see one, earthquakes are a possibility but not imminent. We haven't had one in 5 years since the 7.2.

Since many of the tourism workers aren't from Alaska, they may not know what to do either!

The only ports where tsunami danger is high, Sitka and Seward, routinely test their warning equipment and evacuation process. If one happens to strike while you're ashore, follow the people in dirty Carhartt's. They're locals.

We were in Homer once when the tsunami sirens went off. Nobody did anything and we did not have a tsunami. Turned out that there was an earthquake out in the Aleutians (they are common there) and there was no problem in Homer.

I should point out that the Homer spit is about 2 feet above sea level and any sort of tsunami would wipe it out.

DON

I was living in Ketchikan when the 6.8 hit in 2004. Living in the Marine View Condos on the 8th floor right across the street from the mall. By the time I got outta my bed, pulled my pants on and headed for the stairway it was over. The building popped, creaked and swayed but didn't suffer any damage. They do happen in southeast but not much worries about a tsunami since most of the inside passage is protected from the open ocean. In my 8 years of living there that was the only one that ever got my attention.

What he said!

It never fails to amaze me how many of the tourism workers are imported.

We were in Homer once when the tsunami sirens went off. Nobody did anything and we did not have a tsunami. Turned out that there was an earthquake out in the Aleutians (they are common there) and there was no problem in Homer.

I should point out that the Homer spit is about 2 feet above sea level and any sort of tsunami would wipe it out.

DON

I do think this attitude has changed since the Japanese tsunami. When we get an earthquake, everyone hops on Facebook now, someone links to tsunami warning system, and we all check our danger. That why threads asking if we even have cell service up here puzzles me. Alaskans are probably more linked up than most of the lower 48.

It's true that most of the Inside Passage isn't in direct danger from the waves, but high tides accompany the waves, which would do a lot of danger. That's when I'm glad my house is about 30 feet above sea level! Too bad work is right on the water and in a cruddy old building that shakes when you just walk down the hall. :eek:

As a tourist, I'd put this way down your worry list. To borrow an old adage, it's not earthquakes that kill people, it's the building falling on you. We don't have very many buildings and those we do have aren't very large. Most sights where tourists would be are built to modern earthquake spec.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really concerned, just wondering about the chances as I've never experienced any form of earthquake before(except for that ride Disaster at Universal Studios). Tsunamis never even crossed my mind before. I'm glad they aren't felt most the time though.