Just returned from Baltic Cruise on Silhouette

rahrah50

As you or your friends have had a bad experience with pickpockets can you give me any suggestion on how to avoid it? I know we all need to carry some items and am at a loss to know if I should get one of those hidden packs that go inside your undergarments or carry a purse in the front or what. Any suggestions will be appreciated. We will be on the Celebrity cruise out of Rome in September but will tour Rome for a few days before. If this happens I would think it would ruin anyone's cruise.

We have already advised that pacsafe bags are great. We use the fanny (bum) bags and as they are slash proof and you wear them under your t-shirt they are pretty safe.

Of course the usual advise is to not draw attention to yourselves. Don't walk about with an expensive camera round your neck as I believe these are being stolen too. Don't use your cell phone unless you are inside somewhere safe. Just make sure you are aware at all times and you will be fine.

If you are going to use a handbag only use one that goes over your head and under one arm and keep your hand on it at all times. Do not put anything valuable in a rucksack. They will undo the zip and grab contents in seconds.

Even here in the UK I have my money purse/ wallet attached to a long chain which is then attached to the key fob inside my bag. So easy just to drop your purse.

Remember, only a small percentage of people are the victims of crime. Enjoy your holiday.

Be aware in crowds. Some of the pickpockets will crowd around or create a diversion like a child or a spill or asking you to buy something. Just avoid anyone not in your group and watch each other's back. Do not have a purse or wallet not around your neck. We were in a store and a woman left her wallet on the counter after paying. Another person in line said "she is on my cruise, I'll take it back to the ship." The clerk let her have it and of course it never got back to the owner. The woman lost her passport and several hundred euro.

Glad you had an overall good cruise. We will be on the Silhouette in July going to the Baltic. We have been to St Petersburg several times in the past, and while we love that City, at this point in time we are not too happy with the Russians and may not even get off the ship and give them any more of our US$$$$$. Not trying to start a political discussion, just our opinions.

Don't want to talk politics either. But please don't stay on the ship!!! OMG, please don't stay on the ship. So much to see, so much history. The Russian people are wonderful. Why be so negative? Just because their government is bad why make the people suffer and why deny yourself the privilege of their history?

Don't want to talk politics either. But please don't stay on the ship!!! OMG, please don't stay on the ship. So much to see, so much history. The Russian people are wonderful. Why be so negative? Just because their government is bad why make the people suffer and why deny yourself the privilege of their history?

Very well said, and I tend to Agree, especially with the statement that the majority of Russians are really wonderful. However I can also empathize with Phxazzcruisers, having just cancelled our NYE holiday & Cruise on Quantum to China in protest of the Yulin Dog meat festival.

Years ago, I was picked in Barcelona. Got a PacSafe bag. Wore the bag cross body. Thought I was safe. I didn't have any problem until this spring. On the Paris Metro, my PacSafe bag was picked. It was closed. I rode a few stops and departed with an empty bag. Paris police told me that it happens all the time. I was advised to close the bag, fasten the clip lock and secure using a safety pin. It is difficult for me to open. Hope it prevents any future problems.

Appreciate your above good and smart comments on the strong why's for seeing St. Petersburg and getting a sampling for ALL of the great history and architecture that is there. This town is THE highlight for doing a Baltics cruise and you do not want to miss this opportunity to experience so much that is there.

We had a private tour with just two couples and a guide who was wonderful in answering our many questions and sharing much about her county, its people, etc. Our tour allowed a "real conversation" with the guide . . . not just a play-back of scripted talking points.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 109,958 views for this posting.

We have done the Baltic, the Adriatic and Barcelona RT to Venice three times in the last four years on Celebrity. I am a slow walker and figured I would be a target with "our friends from Romania" as the tour guides reffered to the Gypsies or travelers. I took the advice of cruisers who traveled before me and who posted on Cruise Critic on this topic. I purchased a soft beige travel wallet that has 3 compartments, hangs around your neck with a padded strap, and is meant to be worn under your clothing close to your skin. My husband had one that is worn around his waist under his belt.

I put mine on before I leave the ship or hotel on and after I extend it down to my waist, I hoist it up and tuck the bottom in my bra and have the top near my neck, but not visible. I have never had a problem with the Travelers in Russia, the beggars in Spain and other parts of Italy, or the "Petition Girls" in France. These are attractive young teenage girls, many wearing what appears to be a Parochial School uniform, who approach you to sign a petition about someting or other. When you go for your glasses, their boyfriend or mother or another girl moves in to go for your wallet while the original girl pretends to shoo them away. The are very often on the steps of churches such as Notre Dame in Paris, St John the Lateran in Rome, or the Church in Santa Croce Square near to where you get off the tour buses or go to the leather shops in Florence. They look innocent, young, kind and appealing, particularly to older men while their wives may be shopping in the stalls nearby or inside the church. There are also the" ring droppers" who pretend to drop a ring, another item of jewelry or a contact lens and appeal to you and others to bend down to help them find it. Unfortunately, you are the only innocent person in the group! They get you while you are bent over so you rarely feel it.

Try to get one of these wallets and be on the lookout or at least make a mental note of these circumstances. Have a great trip!

Just back from Eclipse. Suggestion. My wife took out the deep pockets

In old pair of shorts, and sewed them inside day trousers. They were

Big enough for passports, money and ship pass. Nothing was visible

And was easy to retrieve items. Works for me.