Haven Tipping

vicocala

Hi, I've never paid attention to the threads on tipping in the Haven as I never expected to use it. So naturally on my very first NCL cruise I up-bought into one. :p

Please share your experiences in leaving a gratuity and who gets what. I assume tips are given to the room steward as the DSC is in effect. So what do I do for the Butler and concierge and anyone else who may be envolved?

Thanks!

The Room Steward is part of the DSC, but the Butler and Concierge are not. I normally tip $10 per person per day for the Butler and $5 per person per day for the Concierge - more or less depending on the services rendered. Some tip more and some tip less, it is really what you feel comfortable tipping. If the service from the Room Steward is above and beyond, I also tip him a little extra.

Not trying to be rude... Why not go back and pay attention to some of those "tipping threads"?

A search will fill your evening with plenty of reading on the topic.

Because Haven Tipping did not bring about a search answer. Because several other ones didn't.

The Room Steward is part of the DSC, but the Butler and Concierge are not. I normally tip $10 per person per day for the Butler and $5 per person per day for the Concierge - more or less depending on the services rendered. Some tip more and some tip less, it is really what you feel comfortable tipping. If the service from the Room Steward is above and beyond, I also tip him a little extra.

Thank you that was around the numbers I was thinking. I appreciate your response. How many suites is each butler responsible for, if anyone knows?

Thank you that was around the numbers I was thinking. I appreciate your response. How many suites is each butler responsible for, if anyone knows?

Those are about the amounts we did this past week on the gem. Concierge was tipped $100, a bit more than $7 a day for the two of us, due to asking for several requests and also because Carlos is a hoot.

The Butlers (the first one left after 3 days) $75 each for morning coffee delivery and afternoon canapes.

Our room steward was exceptional, (except for the balcony dirt and grim) which I think is beyond his ability to clean every day, but he provide us every request and every day each item requested was repeated perfectly. (extra ice, extra pillows, extra towels, etc) so we tipped him $75 extra but that mileage will vary on your part if at all.

Have a great trip !

Those are about the amounts we did this past week on the gem. Concierge was tipped $100, a bit more than $7 a day for the two of us, due to asking for several requests and also because Carlos is a hoot.

The Butlers (the first one left after 3 days) $75 each for morning coffee delivery and afternoon canapes.

Our room steward was exceptional, (except for the balcony dirt and grim) which I think is beyond his ability to clean every day, but he provide us every request and every day each item requested was repeated perfectly. (extra ice, extra pillows, extra towels, etc) so we tipped him $75 extra but that mileage will vary on your part if at all.

Have a great trip !

Thanks Sea Dog! And again, thanks for the great review!

I never understood the need for snarky responses on boards like this.

We tipped our butler about $250 for the week, the concierge $75 ( we didn't rely on him too much) and our room steward was exceptional so we gave him an additional $50.

I have known people that have tipped less and some that have tipped more. Enjoy your cruise. Once I had a suite, I couldn't go back to an inside EVER!

I never understood the need for snarky responses on boards like this.

We tipped our butler about $250 for the week, the concierge $75 ( we didn't rely on him too much) and our room steward was exceptional so we gave him an additional $50.

I have known people that have tipped less and some that have tipped more. Enjoy your cruise. Once I had a suite, I couldn't go back to an inside EVER!

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately the mods give a little more discretion than I would, but all in all I would think that is probably a good thing. I understand it is a personal thing and many would prefer to keep it private, but in fairness to both the server and the served honest opinions should be shared. That at least is my opinion, so thank you again to you and all who have shared their experiences.

I think all concerned will end up satisfied. :)

I have always tipped my cabin steward, butler and concierge with one exception: on a recent cruise my son and I had the Deluxe Owner's Suite. Not once during the week did the concierge ever acknowledge us (not even saying "good morning" as we passed by!). His assistant made all of our show/dinner reservations and he is the one I tipped.

Tracy

Hi, I've never paid attention to the threads on tipping in the Haven as I never expected to use it. So naturally on my very first NCL cruise I up-bought into one. :p

Please share your experiences in leaving a gratuity and who gets what. I assume tips are given to the room steward as the DSC is in effect. So what do I do for the Butler and concierge and anyone else who may be envolved?

Thanks!

Tip: You can go to the Guest Services desk and tell them you want to add a gratuity for your butler and concierge....they'll ask your room number, and the amounts for each...and write-up onboard charge slips which then get billed to your room (and eventually to your credit card). You get a receipt, and the butler/concierge gets a copy and the funds are transferred into their account electronically. I usually go down to guest services the 2nd-last evening.

For amounts, we're apparently a little on the cheap side.... typically $50 for the butler (but we rarely ask for anything), and $70 for the concierge (again - we rarely ask for much other than the priority services which are part of the cabin cost.)

If your in the Haven and do not tip your steward you probably don't belong there.

I do tip my steward, through the DSC. I do not tip additional....

Stephen

I think the butler has 8 -10 suites. It really depends on the ship. In some cases, they will have suites at the front and back of the ship - a long walk. So, it is a kindness if you can consolidate what you want from them to minimize how much they have to run all over the ship. We mainly use the butler for breakfast if we have an early morning tour BEFORE the suite restaurant has opened and then in the afternoon, when they drop off the regular snacks, we place a standing order for the whole cruise: turkey sandwich, cheese and crackers, bottle of wine. That usually is more than we want and makes it easy on the butler.

We tip $10 per day per person for Butler (unless he does a party for us, in which case, we increase the tip commensurate with the extra work.)

We tip $35 to 50 for the concierge - not that we use the concierge all that much.

We tip an extra $40 - $50 (on top of the prepaid gratuities) to the cabin attendant as these are usually the best on the ship and they go all out to do extra things for suite guests in our experience.

We didn't use the Butler that much. I think other than him bringing afternoon snacks, we didn't use him again. So, I tipped him $50. Our Concierge, Adrian (great, great experience with him), who did several special, out of the ordinary, things for us, we tipped $100.

Hope that helps.

I agree!! Couldn't understand why that was necessary!

Ask a simple question and get some snarky replies. I was interested in your question that is why I opened the thread. Thanks for the great feedback by those that gave information and not criticism of what has been tipped in the past.

Kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere.

Edited by gwsster

Not trying to be rude... Why not go back and pay attention to some of those "tipping threads"?

A search will fill your evening with plenty of reading on the topic.

That is true of roughly 90% + of all questions to the board.

Why should you discourage someone from posting? You say you didn't mean to be rude, but you were, or at least came across that way.

Edited by TrinaLC

Also note, that although you cannot use OBC to pay for the DSC, You CAN use it to tip your butler and concierge or for an additional tip to the room stewart. Just go to guest services as described above and fill out the slips. If you have OBC! It will apply against that first.

Terry

Tip: You can go to the Guest Services desk and tell them you want to add a gratuity for your butler and concierge....they'll ask your room number, and the amounts for each...and write-up onboard charge slips which then get billed to your room (and eventually to your credit card). You get a receipt, and the butler/concierge gets a copy and the funds are transferred into their account electronically. I usually go down to guest services the 2nd-last evening.

For amounts, we're apparently a little on the cheap side.... typically $50 for the butler (but we rarely ask for anything), and $70 for the concierge (again - we rarely ask for much other than the priority services which are part of the cabin cost.)

Thanks for this information! I don't just like handing people money so I will probably use this method. BTW I didn't include the cabana server in my original request. Anyone have ideas there as well? Can they also be taken care of through guest services?

I do tip my steward, through the DSC. I do not tip additional....

Stephen

Thanks for this information! I don't just like handing people money so I will probably use this method. BTW I didn't include the cabana server in my original request. Anyone have ideas there as well? Can they also be taken care of through guest services?

I think the butler has 8 -10 suites. It really depends on the ship. In some cases, they will have suites at the front and back of the ship - a long walk. So, it is a kindness if you can consolidate what you want from them to minimize how much they have to run all over the ship. We mainly use the butler for breakfast if we have an early morning tour BEFORE the suite restaurant has opened and then in the afternoon, when they drop off the regular snacks, we place a standing order for the whole cruise: turkey sandwich, cheese and crackers, bottle of wine. That usually is more than we want and makes it easy on the butler.

We tip $10 per day per person for Butler (unless he does a party for us, in which case, we increase the tip commensurate with the extra work.)

We tip $35 to 50 for the concierge - not that we use the concierge all that much.

We tip an extra $40 - $50 (on top of the prepaid gratuities) to the cabin attendant as these are usually the best on the ship and they go all out to do extra things for suite guests in our experience.

Thank you so much for sharing! I read your review today and I am glad you enjoyed yourself. This is a great answer on CC. You not only answered the question posed, but offered tips in the butler's use. I like that and appreciate it.

Anyone can be taken care of through guest services, just get their first and last name.

If your in the Haven and do not tip your steward you probably don't belong there.

While on our last cruise 14 Panama in P/h we tipped our butler $50 for just filling up the coffee and real milk, we wanted no snacks at all and told him so but he brought them anyway and we left them and he still didn't get the message. To me this is just milking you for a bigger tip which we don't fall for.

We don't eat meals in the room as we just don't understand why folks want to seat in their cabins when there is so much else to see and do on board. And of course the service in the specialty dining rooms is usually always above and beyond any butler.JMO

And for the concierge we didn't use him at all so didn't tip and actually found him really annoying as he would hang around our breakfast table gabbing away every morning. Unfortunately we are not morning people.

But I don't need a concierge for making dinner reservations or shore excursions which we never do through the ship and we also don't use the suite guest seating for shows as they are usually the worst seats.

Bottom line is we are not the best suite guests as far as using butler an concierge and tipping. We also both work in the service industry and know what its all about.

Lastly we most always tip our room steward as they usually do more for us.