Shuttle in Zebrugge

londondave

Not sure if this is the right forum so please don't have a go if its wrong.

We are Celebrity Eclipse on 25th July and have not done Baltic or Celebrity before.

Do celebrity run a shuttle service to Bruges from the port and if so how much do they charge.

So far I have found that Celebrity seem to be very expensive on all there options !

Thanks

Dave

We have just got off the eclipse and called at Zeebrugge last Friday. The ship runs an excursion to brugge but not a shuttle, and it is expensive. Unless you want to stay on the ship, it will cost you to get off and go anywhere. There is a port shuttle to the nearest town, Blankenberg, but this costs 12€ per person for 1 return trip. You cannot do this independently as Zeebrugge is a large container port and pedestrians are not allowed. This bus will drop you by the train station to Brugge. There is 1 train per hour each way. We had a lovely time in Blangenberg. There are shops, cafes, and the beach is at the end of the main street.

Edited by higgib

Last year, we caught the free port shuttle to the port gates. Continue walking on the main road to the right. After a short distance, you will see a church on the left and some small shops in the right. In the centre of the road will be the tram stop, it takes you directly to Blankenberge where you can catch the train to Brugge. Once in Brugge, you have a pleasant 10 minute walk into the centre. Many passengers were all following the same route. If you have a family, it works out much cheaper than using the ship tours.

If you want to take a boat ride, jump on one at a boat station along your route into the city. Don't miss Fidel (the dog in the window) :).

There was no free shuttle to the port gates last Friday. There is a mobile ticket office at the end of the gangway selling tickets to Blankenberg. Other than taxis and ship excursions, there were no other options to get out of the port. We were advised of this the previous evening by the CD, and also in the daily planner for that day. Maybe things have changed recently?

When we went to Zeebrugge we arrived on a Sunday. The train service schedule is reduced on Sundays so- we booked a taxi/van (they get booked up quickly) The vans hold 8 people and cost 50 Euro's each way - divided by 8 the cost is very reasonable. I then posted on our Roll Call and very quickly the van was FULL and in the end I had so many people wanting to join us that I ended up booking another Taxi Van which once again was filled.

Is there anyone on your Roll Call that has spaces in their transport.

Edited by lydnsyd

There was no free shuttle to the port gates last Friday. There is a mobile ticket office at the end of the gangway selling tickets to Blankenberg. Other than taxis and ship excursions, there were no other options to get out of the port. We were advised of this the previous evening by the CD, and also in the daily planner for that day. Maybe things have changed recently?

Perhaps they have :confused:? If you can't get to the port gates from the ship without paying, in my opinion, it's a poor show. Shame as it's super easy to do on your own - perhaps that's why they've changed it :rolleyes:? Not surprised though, no RCI staff wanted to admit about the free shuttle to my DH and he did have words with a member of the activities staff on the quay who was ushering pax to the chargeable shuttles. Obviously, they wanted everyone to take their tours and pay ;).

Perhaps they have :confused:? If you can't get to the port gates from the ship without paying, in my opinion, it's a poor show. Shame as it's super easy to do on your own - perhaps that's why they've changed it :rolleyes:? Not surprised though, no RCI staff wanted to admit about the free shuttle to my DH and he did have words with a member of the activities staff on the quay who was ushering pax to the chargeable shuttles. Obviously, they wanted everyone to take their tours and pay ;).

We were very surprised about the charge. As we were with our 2 daughters it cost us £35 to get into town :-( even more surprising as in Le Havre the previous day, port shuttles were frequent and free!

This is the worst port for DO it yourself !

We a free shuttle to the port entrance , but Celebrity crew would only let people who paid the $12 get on, then wait once they where all gone would they would load the people on the free port shuttle , and then the shuttle took a wrong turn in the port !

Then Martin taxi was running very late, we had 10:30 am meeting time , 45 mins they still had not shown up , so we called it a day went back to the ship

If you can be first off the ship , and quickly get the shuttle, there are some cabs waiting

We were on the same cruise earlier this month. We were first off (not hard to do as it was 9:30) and hopped on the free shuttle. There were taxis waiting at the port gates and six of us got one immediately, cost €50 directly to central square in Bruges. We asked the gentleman to please pick us up at 2:30 and he was there waiting at 2:20. We had a lovely day but many others did not. This is one port where getting off right away was a huge advantage. Shame on celebrity for not letting all pax on board the shuttle whether they have paid $12 (to go someplace they did not want to go) or not!

They also don't tell you that it's a bit of a walk from the train station to the main part of Bruges. The taxi driver told us that many people who take the train in decide to take a taxi back, therefore it can be difficult to find a taxi. It's a bit of a mess there, but lovely once you get into town, very walkable, good restaurants and great chocolate shops!

I have just found out that the excursion we were looking at booking returns at 15.30, 30 minutes after the ship has sailed so not much use.

I will keep looking for alternatives.:mad:

Have you joined the Roll Call?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081725&page=29

Edited by upwarduk

We were in Zeebruge last year. We got a taxi shuttle inside the port. They took 8 of us for 50E. We were a group of 6 & 2 other people waiting for a taxi joined us. He had already taken one group to Bruge and dropped them off. He picked them up at noon, brought them back to the ship and then came back for us. He was a little early picking us up but we were all there and ready to go. There were only a few taxis, shuttles allowed into the port and this was one of them. We had a lovely time in Bruge even though it rained a little.

We were on lately (in May) and taxis come next to the ship. It's a set fee of 50 euro each way and some take 8. Suggest as we did, line people up on the roll call to meet at the cafe, get off at the all clear announcement and be first few in the line. We got one from George's taxis and when he dropped I arranged him to pick up at 3pm and he was there waiting for us. Don't believe any of the 4 sweaters telling you that big ones don't come in, 2 said this to us and seconds later 3 8 sweaters arrived

Edited by Tiggertastic

Celebrity charge 12 euros each for a return to Blankenburg, then you need to purchase a train or tram ticket to where you want to go, ie Bruges etc. The alternative is to take the FREE port shuttle to the gate, this stops to the right of the ticket kiosk as you get off the ship, this runs very regularly (check for any break times if you are coming back midday). At the gate turn right and walk to the Spar mini mart, about 10-15 mins flat walk, there you can purchase a ‘day rider’ tram ticket for 5 euros each. This will take you to Blankenburg, Knokke, Oostende etc. There is also a kiosk opposite the Spar, which sells the tickets and will give you a map. The chap here said we could use this ‘day rider’ to get to Bruges as it covers the same zone. Knokke is very pleasant if you have been to Blankenburg before, as is Oostende.

With regard to a previous review, the crew take no interest in those who are obviously going to take the FREE port shuttle. This single shuttle is generally not a hired coach but a red bus (although this could change), as it works alone you may have to wait about 10 mins for it to return. You can see the gate to the left of the ship as it is quite close, if a shuttle is running you will see it there if it is not at the dock.

Hope this helps :)

Celebrity charge 12 euros each for a return to Blankenburg, then you need to purchase a train or tram ticket to where you want to go, ie Bruges etc. The alternative is to take the FREE port shuttle to the gate, this stops to the right of the ticket kiosk as you get off the ship, this runs very regularly (check for any break times if you are coming back midday). At the gate turn right and walk to the Spar mini mart, about 10-15 mins flat walk, there you can purchase a ‘day rider’ tram ticket for 5 euros each. This will take you to Blankenburg, Knokke, Oostende etc. There is also a kiosk opposite the Spar, which sells the tickets and will give you a map. The chap here said we could use this ‘day rider’ to get to Bruges as it covers the same zone. Knokke is very pleasant if you have been to Blankenburg before, as is Oostende.

With regard to a previous review, the crew take no interest in those who are obviously going to take the FREE port shuttle. This single shuttle is generally not a hired coach but a red bus (although this could change), as it works alone you may have to wait about 10 mins for it to return. You can see the gate to the left of the ship as it is quite close, if a shuttle is running you will see it there if it is not at the dock.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you, this is helpful and what I had read previously. I was starting to freak out a bit.

JoAnn

I second the thank you for the information! It sounds like a rather complicated matter to get into town, if you were unable to pre-book a taxi, but I am very reassured to hear that it can be done!

Annette24--does the "day rider" tram ticket also cover the train? You mention that you can use it to get into Bruges, so you just buy the 1 ticket for both tram and train?

Thanks!

There was a free shuttle last Friday, if you had asked at guest relations they would have given you details of shuttle and port explorer guide. At the port gates there was a temporary building to wait taxi, although there were a few taxis being allowed onto the pier.

I second the thank you for the information! It sounds like a rather complicated matter to get into town, if you were unable to pre-book a taxi, but I am very reassured to hear that it can be done!

Annette24--does the "day rider" tram ticket also cover the train? You mention that you can use it to get into Bruges, so you just buy the 1 ticket for both tram and train?

Thanks!

Our ticket (bought last Friday) definitely covered coastal tram line, not sure about tram routes in city centres. At Blankenburg you will need to get a train ticket (about 5 euros return based on search results and other trip advice sites). Unfortunately didn’t clarify what the kiosk chap meant about getting to Bruges as it is in the 'same zone'. A combination of tram and train on separate tickets is a safe bet when planning your day. It still works out at only 10 euros pp return to get from the ship to Bruges.

Had a great day in Brugge last Friday off the Celebrity Eclipse! No problems at all. But we had pre-booked a taxi by email before we left.

Got off the ship and found the free shuttle bus to the port gates and easily found our taxi (Rony's Taxis) into the centre of Brugge. We were picked up at the agreed time for return to the ship.

I believe that it is down to the port authority that passengers cannot walk through the port and that it is the port authority that provides the free shuttle bus. I also believe (But not certain) that the 12 euro shuttle bus is probably provided by the local area and not by Celebrity. (Surely, if Celebrity provided the shuttle they would charge in $s to your onboard account?? - also this same service is used by Princess, a Carnival cruise line)

Much of this information I found from using CruiseCritic.

Our ticket (bought last Friday) definitely covered coastal tram line, not sure about tram routes in city centres. At Blankenburg you will need to get a train ticket (about 5 euros return based on search results and other trip advice sites). Unfortunately didn’t clarify what the kiosk chap meant about getting to Bruges as it is in the 'same zone'. A combination of tram and train on separate tickets is a safe bet when planning your day. It still works out at only 10 euros pp return to get from the ship to Bruges.

Thanks so much! I'll plan on getting the 2 tickets separately.

Just as an FYI for those in the early planning stages, I emailed 2 or 3 private taxi companies that I found here on CC in March (July sailing) and they were all booked already! So if having a pre-booked taxi is important to you, do it early!

Okay, one more related question after some more quality time on train Belgin train web site:

I (think) I know how to get the tram to Blankenberge and get the train from there. However I see on the train web site that there are also (less frequent) trains from "Zebrugge-Strand" to Brugge. If those times work for us, is that station closer to the port--maybe walkable? So eliminating the tram step in the process?

Thanks for the help!

From the tripadvisor forum:

There [is service] from Zeebrugge-Strand station, which I would guess is 20-30 mins walk from the cruise port (it's close to the Coast Tram stop Zeebrugge-Strandwijk). From that station, on Sunday 21 June, there is a train to Brugge every TWO HOURS, e.g. 08:06, 10:06, 12:06, taking 20 minutes; return from Brugge is at 15:34, 17:34, 19:34 (last train).

Most cruise companies run a shuttle to nearby BLANKENBERGE station, from where there are daily hourly trains at 42 mins past the hour, taking 14 mins to Brugge, e.g. dep. 09:42, arr. 09:55.