Constant UDP promos: How hard is it now to get a reservation at Cagneys/Teppanyaki?

fstuff1

I was on the Epic May 13 out of Rome and could not get a specialty restaurant reservation for the first 3 days of the cruise.

The F and B manager said there were over 1000 UDP's on that sailing.

I am disappointed that they brought it back in the new promo.

I hate the idea of having to book reservations before I get on the ship.

That defeats to whole purpose of freestyle for me.

Lois

I was on the Epic May 13 out of Rome and could not get a specialty restaurant reservation for the first 3 days of the cruise.

The F and B manager said there were over 1000 UDP's on that sailing.

I am disappointed that they brought it back in the new promo.

I hate the idea of having to book reservations before I get on the ship.

That defeats to whole purpose of freestyle for me.

Lois

May I ask you if it was that you couldn't get a reservation or that the restaurant is full? When I was on the Epic in December, I could not get a reservation, but the restaurant was nearly empty because they "reserve" tables for freestyle. It seemed that they only allowed a few reservations at each 15 minute or so inteval and booking before we got on the ship was even more limited.

May I ask you if it was that you couldn't get a reservation or that the restaurant is full? When I was on the Epic in December, I could not get a reservation, but the restaurant was nearly empty because they "reserve" tables for freestyle. It seemed that they only allowed a few reservations at each 15 minute or so inteval and booking before we got on the ship was even more limited.

I am interested in this answer as well. I asked on another thread which also mentioned the difficulty in reservations. I have seen several times where someone puzzled over the fact that it was so difficult to get reservations, yet when they were in the restaurant, there were many tables open. As you noted, since the ship is Freestyle, it would make no sense to book the restaurant solid and shut out those who just like to walk up and wing it as we often do. My hunch is that if those who couldn't get a res would just walk up and inquire, they would be seated.

I am interested in this answer as well. I asked on another thread which also mentioned the difficulty in reservations. I have seen several times where someone puzzled over the fact that it was so difficult to get reservations, yet when they were in the restaurant, there were many tables open. As you noted, since the ship is Freestyle, it would make no sense to book the restaurant solid and shut out those who just like to walk up and wing it as we often do. My hunch is that if those who couldn't get a res would just walk up and inquire, they would be seated.

In fact, that was what I was told by the Epic reservation-taker when I could not reserve my preferred time- "Just go when you want. There will be tables" It was true. Of course that was before the UDP was offered for free. So, I am was wondering if it was still true. She said they limit the number of reservations available to allow for Freestyle.

Edited by drvalo

I had the UDP on the Breakaway about two weeks ago. I booked Cagney's, Le Bistro, Modenro and Ocean Blue reservations before sailing and the others while on the ship. Cagney's was booked solid all week except for 9:00pm or later so I was unable to book a second night there. I booked Teppanyaki on the ship for the first night at 6pm and the earlier time slots had plenty of availability.

Le Bistro I booked a second night while on the ship with no problems and the same with La Cucina.

I think what time you dine also plays a part in how hard it is to get reservations. 5:30 - 6:30 had more openings than the later times.

I hope this helps you out!

I had the UDP on the Breakaway about two weeks ago. I booked Cagney's, Le Bistro, Modenro and Ocean Blue reservations before sailing and the others while on the ship. Cagney's was booked solid all week except for 9:00pm or later so I was unable to book a second night there. I booked Teppanyaki on the ship for the first night at 6pm and the earlier time slots had plenty of availability.

Le Bistro I booked a second night while on the ship with no problems and the same with La Cucina.

I think what time you dine also plays a part in how hard it is to get reservations. 5:30 - 6:30 had more openings than the later times.

I hope this helps you out!

That was a great answer to the OP's question about reservations. Additionally, our (mine and punkincc's) question really is about being able to just walk in (or looking at the screens and if there is green). Do they still set aside some tables for reservations, but leave most tables for Freestyle walkins? We know there are problems getting a reservation. I guess if every table was taken when you arrived for your reservation, perhaps they book everything ahead of time. Still it would be nice to know and to not assume that because we could not get a reservation, we cannot eat at the restaurant. One should not have made that assumption in December. Not sure how it was on your more recent cruise.

Edited by drvalo

That was a great answer to the OP's question about reservations. Additionally, our (mine and punkincc's) question really is about being able to just walk in (or looking at the screens and if there is green). Do they still set aside some tables for reservations, but leave most tables for Freestyle walkins? We know there are problems getting a reservation. I guess if every table was taken when you arrived for your reservation, perhaps they book everything ahead of time. Still it would be nice to know and to not assume that because we could not get a reservation, we cannot eat at the restaurant. One should not have made that assumption in December. Not sure how it was on your more recent cruise.

I don't know how it is for walk-ins since I didn't try it, but I did notice in Cagney's, Modnero, Teppenyaki, Ocean Blue and La Cucina there were plenty of empty tables before 6:30. Le Bistro was full except for the "outdoor" seating. However, the dots were red for the time slots when there were empty seats.

Maybe the red dots keep people away from trying walk-in seating?

We have just hit our 89 days from sailing and have booked cagneys (just for me and my better half) , tenpanyaki and other restaurants no problem , we have UDP and all bookings have been confirmed.

I called for reservations and was told there was nothing available,

so we tried walking in to 3 different restaurants, Cagney, LeBristo and LaCachina and could not get in to any to them.

Was able to book for the last 4 days but at 8:30 which was a little later than we wanted but we went with it.

I called for reservations and was told there was nothing available,

so we tried walking in to 3 different restaurants, Cagney, LeBristo and LaCachina and could not get in to any to them.

Was able to book for the last 4 days but at 8:30 which was a little later than we wanted but we went with it.

Thanks for the update!