Camp Carnival question

averysmama

We are traveling with friends this fall… kids ages will be 5, 6, and 7…. I know the older two will be together in Camp Carnival… will they allow the 5 year old (who is the sister to the 6 year old) to be in the older age group with the other since we are traveling together?

TIA

Most likely not.

They have age groups for a reason and they are used to all excuses as to why 1 kid should be allowed from about 400 parents asking this same question every cruise.

We are traveling with friends this fall… kids ages will be 5, 6, and 7…. I know the older two will be together in Camp Carnival… will they allow the 5 year old (who is the sister to the 6 year old) to be in the older age group with the other since we are traveling together?

TIA

Not usually but the final decision is up to Camp Carnival staff. If there are too many older kids, then no.

TIA

Generally no. However, this is your vacation, so you set the rules, not Carnival. After all, you paid a lot of money for your cruise and will decide what camp your kids go to, not where Carnival tells you where they go.

Edited by ZanziBarred

We sailed with cousins on the Dream a few yrs ago, and they allowed my niece who was 5 to come into the 4&u area with my daughter who was 4 but not vice versa. And, the parents had to put her there for the whole cruise, she couldn't hop back and forth. My niece couldn't have cared less which group she was in, she just wanted to be with her cousin!

Generally no. However, this is your vacation, so you set the rules, not Carnival. After all, you paid a lot of money for your cruise and will decide what camp your kids go to, not where Carnival tells you where they go.

No, actually, your choices are to either a) follow Carnival's rules, or B) watch your kids yourself. Don't count on being able to bully your way into getting what you want. I've seen many try, and none succeed.

It is remotely possible that they will make an exception, depending on the capacity of each camp, but you should not plan on it. They maintain these rules for a reason. The parents of the smaller children rely on the fact that those kids will not be hanging out with kids out of their age group. That can lead to problems, and is not always the most appropriate environment for the younger children.

That said, we have taken 6 cruises with our girls, now ages 11, 10, and 4. We started when the youngest was just 17 mos. Occasionally, they let one of our older daughters go be with the young one when she wants to see them...but not always.

Camp Carnival is a wonderful program, and I am confident the kids in your group will have a wonderful time, whether they are all together or not.

I recognized the sarcasm font..:)

I recognized the sarcasm font..:)

Oh dear Lord. I'm sorry. I missed it. Entirely. My bad. You see, I have seen so many pushy parents arguing their case at Camp Carnival as to why their very special child should be with his/her very dear, special brother/sister, that I just expect that people really think this way. Because I assure you, there are many people that do. Many, many, obnoxious people. I am scarred.

Oh dear Lord. I'm sorry. I missed it. Entirely. My bad. You see, I have seen so many pushy parents arguing their case at Camp Carnival as to why their very special child should be with his/her very dear, special brother/sister, that I just expect that people really think this way. Because I assure you, there are many people that do. Many, many, obnoxious people. I am scarred.

LOL, I missed it too! I can imagine there are many on each cruise with similar issues. There have to be cutoffs and if they start making exceptions, chaos might ensue and the age group lines would get blurred. It's the same with the start of school. There is a cutoff date and if your child is born one day after, that's the breaks.

I am sorry I don't see it the same way. Yes it is their vacation . They can decide IF there children go to camp. IF children go then it is up to Carnival to do what is best for all. When exception are made where is the line drawn? I don't want an 18 year old boy in the same group as my 14 year old daughter.

If you don't like the rules you don't have to play.

To OP, there is always a possibility especially if the number of children is low . You should of course ask if this is your desire.

Thanks for all the input. I just didn't know if it had ever happened in the past where they would let them join the others. I'll def. ask and if not, they can just tag along wherever we are on the boat. :o)

TIA

The actual answer is --- it depends. You will be sailing when there are not a lot of kids on board, so that will give you a better chance of success. The decision lies entirely with the camp director. At orientation, find a counselor, explain your request, and then live with their answer. Last year on the Conquest, I was able to move my 5 year old (who was 2 weeks shy of his 6th birthday) up to the 6 to 8 year old group. Using my parental judgement, I explained that it was much more appropriate for him to be with an 8 year old than a 2 year old. They agreed to a move up on a trial basis. Everything went smoothly, and he had a great time that week. I had heard that there was another child that moved up on a trial basis, but there were some issues and they moved the child back to the 2-5 age group. That being said, every ship is different, and every director is different, so your mileage may vary.