From Southampton Port to stay in London post cruise

Hello I am looking for some information/suggestions, in August we (me, my husband, and our two older teenagers) will end a cruise in Southampton and will then go to London where we will spend that day and the following morning before leaving from Heathrow. Husband has been to London before for work, none of the rest of us have. I am interested in thoughts for the best way to get from the port back to the city, whether it would make sense for us to hire a driver who could help us tour for the day or whether that is unnecessary and we should just get back to the city and handle it on our own from there. We will likely have several large suitcases as it is a longer cruise. Also, appreciate any thoughts on hotel suggestions (we will be looking for something pretty basic since it will just be the one night and we probably won't be spending much time sleeping!) and "must sees"--we know we want to go to Churchill's war rooms but other than that not even sure how to start with so much to do and such a short time. Thanks!

We just got off a transatlantic to Southampton and used Silver Fleet's shuttle to get back to London. It was very convenient and efficient. Driver had a card right in the port terminal and off we went. As for London, we stayed at the Renaissance St. Pancras, it's not cheap but we stayed on points. Best part it is VERY convenient to most of the Underground lines. You do not even have to go outside to get to the underground. We bought an Oyster Pass, you can buy it at the kiosk or at the information booth. It is a deposit of 5 pounds for the card and a maximum of 6.40 pounds per day within zone 1 of London (which incorporates all the regular touristy things). Each person needs their own card, when you are done with them you can return them and get your deposit back. We were there a few days and did the 3 day London pass, the Underground was safe, efficient and economical. Never did we wait longer than 90 seconds for a train. The construction and logistics of the system is something to see in and of itself. We did go to the Churchill war rooms and it is worth the trip. It is very near Trafalgar square. You can get a one day London pass and do the following, if you are ambitious: Churchill War Rooms, Apsley house (closed certain days), Big ben, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and the Thames river hop on hop off. All these things are included in the pass. If you are speedy, you can take the river cruise down to the Tower of London (also in the pass, and skip the line). I did not feel the following were worth the time: Tower Bridge exhibit, HMS Belfast, and the Monument. Hope this helps, have a great time.

I suggest you book a private taxi to London. Here is a list of hotels in the Victoria area http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g186338-d4141514-Victoria_Station-London_England.html and that is a good place to be for the main tourist places like Buckingham Palace, War Rooms etc.

It's a 2½ hour drive (assuming normal traffic) and even if you are too early for your room, you will be able to drop your baggage and set off sightseeing. London is easy to get around - tube/bus/taxi/river taxi and on foot. Your teenagers will be welcome in pubs for meals even if they are under 18 and after a long cruise, a pub meal would be a good contrast.

You don't say what the children want to see. I suspect that the War rooms will not be so exciting for them. As always in these threads, I strongly suggest a West End show in the evening. Look here http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ to see what's on.

When you leave, I suggest that you would be best to book a private taxi direct from hotel to Heathrow.

Edited by Bob++

Thanks very much for the great information! A few questions, for a private taxi do you need to book ahead of time or are they available for hire at the port? And the shuttle service, did that operate at set times, and if so did you link the time to the time you selected for disembarkation?

In terms of activities the kids have asked for the War Rooms, they are particularly interested having seen the movie about the Enigma machine this past winter and understand that is part of the tour and experience. The West End is a very good idea I hadn't even though to look into that. I like the "ambitious" day tour, I think it is something we could definitely manage, we want to make the most of our time!

We are disembarking at Southampton on Saturday 8/22 & going to London for 3 days post cruise.

My husband would like to see Stonehenge.

I have seen buses that pick up from the cruise terminal but have multiple stops @ Salisbury, Stonehenge & Windsor Castle before dropping off @ LHR / London hotels.

Does anyone know of a transport that goes from the cruise port to Stonehenge then to London hotels? If so are the Stonehenge admission tickets included or do we need to obtain them beforehand?

We are disembarking at Southampton on Saturday 8/22 & going to London for 3 days post cruise.

My husband would like to see Stonehenge.

I have seen buses that pick up from the cruise terminal but have multiple stops @ Salisbury, Stonehenge & Windsor Castle before dropping off @ LHR / London hotels.

Does anyone know of a transport that goes from the cruise port to Stonehenge then to London hotels? If so are the Stonehenge admission tickets included or do we need to obtain them beforehand?

I think that tis is what you are looking for: http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_to_london_shared_bus.html

Thanks very much for the great information! A few questions, for a private taxi do you need to book ahead of time or are they available for hire at the port? And the shuttle service, did that operate at set times, and if so did you link the time to the time you selected for disembarkation?

In terms of activities the kids have asked for the War Rooms, they are particularly interested having seen the movie about the Enigma machine this past winter and understand that is part of the tour and experience. The West End is a very good idea I hadn't even though to look into that. I like the "ambitious" day tour, I think it is something we could definitely manage, we want to make the most of our time!

For a private taxi it is much better to pre-book: They will all collect you from the port terminus and take you to your hotel.

http://westquaycars.com/

http://www.checkercars.com/

http://www.smithsforairports.com/

Are all recommended on this board.

I have not been to the War Rooms but as I understand it they are mainly geared towards Churchill's role in WW2. The place to go for all things Enigma is the place where it all actually happened - Bletchley Park. But you do not have enough time for that as it is over an hour away by train.

Your teenagers would probably enjoy The London Dungeon http://www.thedungeons.com/ and the London Eye nearby. A trip down the Thames to The Tower of London is a good way to see a lot of Landmarks without too much walking.

Have a look here too: http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/family-activities/things-to-do-in-london-for-teenagers.

Edited by Bob++

The shuttle I was referring to is strictly for the cruise ship. It leaves at 9:30 from the ship. We asked for an independent disembarkation for 8:30 and when we got off they were waiting for us in the terminal.

http://www.silver-fleet.co.uk/page.aspx?page=southampton-cruise-shuttle-to-and-from-london-and-heathrow&gclid=CJKRsMepq8QCFcOGaQodwLQAug

I don't remember the enigma machine you are referring to, there was so much to see. If you are a real Churchill fan, you can probably spend 8 hours there. We spent about 1 1/2 and got a good flavor for it. I was surprised to see that the complex was not that far underground.

Edited by pppatpc2

Excellent thanks again so much everyone I am leaning towards the private taxi arrangement and also love the London for teenagers site. Didn't know the palace would be open that could be fun as well. We will leave much undone but it will be a great trip and we will have a reason go to back one day!

There is an Enigma machine in the Churchill War Rooms, but obviously it's not the main focus of the museum - which is really two attractions in one, the Cabinet War Rooms and a Churchill Museum.

There's more on Enigma over at the Imperial War Museum, in the Secret War gallery, and as Bob says, Bletchley Park is where much of the work went on.

We got off our cruise May 21 and used International Friends. they picked us up from the cruise and took us to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Salisbury Cathedral. Dropped us off at our hotel in London around 6 pm. I would highly recommend them. I learned about them here on CC.

We got off our cruise May 21 and used International Friends. they picked us up from the cruise and took us to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Salisbury Cathedral. Dropped us off at our hotel in London around 6 pm. I would highly recommend them. I learned about them here on CC.

I am so happy to read this post! We are doing this same tour/transfer on 8/22 & going to our hotel in London. Originally tried just for Stonehenge but it was costly so my husband agreed to do this tour with 3 stops. Thank you, thank you, thank you...what great timing . I am booking this tomorrow. You prepay by credit card I think. Did you tip the driver & guide the 10%/15% expected on our SBP tour?

I am so happy to read this post! We are doing this same tour/transfer on 8/22 & going to our hotel in London. Originally tried just for Stonehenge but it was costly so my husband agreed to do this tour with 3 stops. Thank you, thank you, thank you...what great timing . I am booking this tomorrow. You prepay by credit card I think. Did you tip the driver & guide the 10%/15% expected on our SBP tour?

Glad I could be of help. I did prepay by credit card and had them take care of getting the tickets for Stonehenge and Windsor Castle. Mostly everyone on the bus except for maybe 2 people did this. Salisbury Cathedral we just looked at the outside and saw a tiny bit of the inside and gift shop. Mostly you have to purchase tickets if you want to see the Magna Carta (There were 12 "original" copies made 2 years after the original but only 4 remain. This is one of those 4). One couple mentioned they bought the tickets but it was a waste because it was so small and they could not read it. We saw the room it was in but could not go in with out the tickets.

I don't know what a SBP tour is but we did tip the guide and I think driver although I remember Tony telling me that he does share the tips with the driver (unless I am remembering another tour). I don't remember how much but he was really good. His name is Tony and he also works for another company.

Small world living nearby. Sure was hot today!

Edited by dickinson