Crown grill dress code

EriePaCruiser

It is the same as the MDRs on non-formal nights. Every night of the cruise, the Crown Grill will be resort casual. No jackets or ties required. Even when the rest of the dining rooms are "formal", the specialty restaurants remain casual.

Can anyone tell me the dress code for the crown grill on Ruby for our June Alaska cruise. Did not plan on packing dinner jacket or tie but will have Dockers dress shoes and a nice shirt.

That will be absolutely fine! That's how my DH dresses for the specialty restaurants and even on formal night (when some diners dress up even though it is not required in the specialty restaurants) he has never felt out of place.

Thank you for the quick replies, just wondering if I am understanding you correctly, Smart casual will even work in the MDR for formal nights? I normally dress up for formal nights but this being an Alaska cruise, packing is really tight.

Thank you for the quick replies, just wondering if I am understanding you correctly, Smart casual will even work in the MDR for formal nights? I normally dress up for formal nights but this being an Alaska cruise, packing is really tight.

No. In the MDRs, the formal nights are formal* and the non-formal nights are casual. In the specialty restaurants (Crown Grill and Sabatini's), they are casual every night.

*The Patter will state that the MDRs are formal and will state the dress code. What is actually allowed is up to the maitre'd, and typically, people dressed in smart casual clothing are permitted in. This does not mean that the "formal nights" are actually "casual nights". It simply means that formal nights are formal nights, but that the dress code is not really enforced very tightly, if at all. If packing is tight and you want to wear Dockers and a long-sleeve shirt to the MDR on formal nights, you will almost assuredly be allowed in, and you will almost assuredly be on the far end of the "formal wear curve". If that does not concern you, then go for it. If that would make you self-conscious, then account for that as well.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Smart casual in the specialty restaurants.

As far as dress the main DR on formal nights that's a whole other can O worms. :(

Smart casual works every night in the specialty restaurants. In the MDR on formal night, they expect you to be dressed up which is why we always go to the Crown Grill or Sabatinis on formal nights. If you plan to do the same, make your reservations the first day (the folks on the DINE line or at the restaurant itself will be able to tell you which nights will be formal nights) because there are lots of us who don't do formal :).

Having said all that on our last Alaska cruise in 2012 we told our wait staff (we had traditional dining) that we wouldn't be there on formal nights and they encouraged us to come even though we didn't have formal clothes (and truth be told, my DB's idea of smart casual left something to be desired :D in my estimation). We thanked them but still went to Sabatinis and the Crown Grill because we wouldn't have felt comfortable (well maybe DB would have but the other 7 family members would not).

Thanks again for all the quick replies. I understand that this is a touchy subject and while I do enjoy formal nights, I am just not willing to give up room packing to bring the formal attire, Smart casual it will be and just eat at the crown grill and sabitinis on formal nights I guess.

Thanks again for all the quick replies. I understand that this is a touchy subject and while I do enjoy formal nights, I am just not willing to give up room packing to bring the formal attire, Smart casual it will be and just eat at the crown grill and sabitinis on formal nights I guess.

You will be fine! Enjoy! :)

Actually smart casual will work in the dining rooms on formal evenings as long as you don't get to slopy about it. My DH always wears just dress pants and long sleeve dress shirt without a jacket and has never had any problems. In the specialty restaurants as everyone has said- it's always casual. :)

The Crown Grill is decorated like a NYC steak house. We dress nicely when dining there. My husband wears dockers and golf shirts on smart casual nights but if we dine there on formal night, he will wear a sport jacket. :)