Ramen station on Royal/Regal?

A.Emgee

Last month, I was on the recently drydocked Golden Princess and was surprised to see that there was a ramen station in the Horizon Court (new desserts area, outside of the main buffet) in the evenings. I think this is a carry over idea from the Diamond Princess, which had a noodle station added in its transition to the Japanese market. In Japan last summer the noodle station alternated between ramen and soba.

The noodles on Golden were not up to par (think soggy bread for consistency) compared to the ones on the Diamond. Neither ship could be deemed to have genuine ramen noodles but at least they had noodles!

Does anybody know if this feature is on the newer Royal/Regal Princess?

Thanks in advance!

Nina, have you sailed on the Regal or Royal Princess before (I don't see it listed on your signature)?

One would think that a concept that is popular enough to make it onto older updated ships would be present on the flagship vessels?

Nina, have you sailed on the Regal or Royal Princess before (I don't see it listed on your signature)?

One would think that a concept that is popular enough to make it onto older updated ships would be present on the flagship vessels?

Have you had any other answer?

No, I haven't sailed those yet, but I know quite a bit... the Royal/Regal have an expanded Horizon Court and that's one reason they don't have the need to do buffet stations like the Golden. Incidentally, that's the only ship I have seen it.

I can't answer your questions, but I like the idea. They had a Mongolian BBQ a couple nights on the Coral Princess when I sailed to Alaska in 2013. They made a fairly decent plate of noodles to order. I wish they had this on all the ships. I haven't seen it since I was on the Coral. I haven't been on the Royal/Regal yet. I have a Royal cruise booked for later this year.

I was on the Royal last Jan/Feb. I do not recall seeing a ramen station. I will be back on the Royal in about 3 weeks.

I will say that Dave (DMWNC1959) took a ton of pictures of the Royal, and I don't think he captured any of a ramen station. He is quite the foodie, so if there is one, he would have found it.

Edited by TracieABD

I was on the Royal last Jan/Feb. I do not recall seeing a ramen station. I will be back on the Royal in about 3 weeks.

I will say that Dave (DMWNC1959) took a ton of pictures of the Royal, and I don't think he captured any of a ramen station. He is quite the foodie, so if there is one, he would have found it.

Hi Tracie,

As much as I frequented the buffets I don't recall ever seeing a ramen station, but that could have changed since I departed. Maybe once you're back on board you can check it out and report back later.

Signed,

Jealous Me...;)

:D

I've found that buffet offerings are constantly evolving. For instance, the Royal Horizon Court last September was different from the year before. If something is popular on a ship, it's always possible that it'll be rolled out to others. As for the Diamond, it's been modified to appeal to Japanese tastes so it might not be rolled out to others. I guess this is my way of saying that just because one thing is available on a ship, it might or might not be available on another. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Posting live from the Regal Princess in Tallinn: I just wanted to update my own thread. As correctly mentioned on this thread previously, there is no permanent ramen station on the Regal Princess but yesterday during dinner hours at the back of the Horizon Court the themed area had a “noodle/soup station” which was even better than the ramen station on Diamond Princess and Golden Princess. They had a choice of four noodles, three soup bases, dumplings/meats/vegetables, and a variety of condiments (even fish sauce!). The soupy noodles were cooked to order i.e., steaming hot and not soggy. As this area rotates every day (previous nights included Asian, German, South American themes), I was told that the noodle/soup station would not return this cruise.

We have sailed both Royal and Regal fairly recently and I'm pretty sure there was no noodle station on either. There was one section of the buffet on the Royal that seemed to have more ethnic type foods and the theme of that seemed to change nightly. I remember seeing different noodle based dishes on various nights, but not a dedicated noodle station.

In jan on the Regal, they had a Mongolian station at the buffet. I do not remember if it was there every night

No, it was only there the one night. That area of the buffet changed each night, offering a different ethnic theme each night.

The Mongolian grill was there on our first night (Copenhagen) only. It is the same rotating area as the noodle station. It confused people who thought the Mongolian station had returned and they asked to have their selections cooked on the grill!

Posting live from the Regal Princess in Tallinn: I just wanted to update my own thread. As correctly mentioned on this thread previously, there is no permanent ramen station on the Regal Princess but yesterday during dinner hours at the back of the Horizon Court the themed area had a “noodle/soup station” which was even better than the ramen station on Diamond Princess and Golden Princess. They had a choice of four noodles, three soup bases, dumplings/meats/vegetables, and a variety of condiments (even fish sauce!). The soupy noodles were cooked to order i.e., steaming hot and not soggy. As this area rotates every day (previous nights included Asian, German, South American themes), I was told that the noodle/soup station would not return this cruise.

Thanks for posting this! I like it when a poster asks a question then later when they cruise they can let us know what they discovered!

I would love to hear more about your cruise! Will be sailing Regal in December.... and have considered your current cruise.

Enjoy your cruise AND THANKS for the update.