Duffel bags not allowed?

I just went to do my online check in for my cruise, and ran across this, in the documents:

For loading and unloading the Ship and other means of transportation, all baggage must be tendered for carriage in securely constructed and locked suitcases or trunks.

So, considering I don't actually own any suitcases or trunks, and always pack my gear in backpacks and duffels, this is worrisome.

Does anyone know if I actually have to have real suitcases that lock to bring on my cruise!?

I've had no problems using zippered, luggage-style duffle bags, not the military issue/seabag type, for my cruises. I've used those or soft-side luggage on all my cruises and never had a problem. My brother has used large, framed backpacks and has never had a problem.

If you're using smaller day-pack type backpacks, I would use those as your personal carry on, but my experience is duffle bags are fine.

Edited by ellieanne

I think this is so that the cases can be easily transported up to your cabin. The cases are stacked on open sided trolleys and come up in the lifts. Then they are placed outside your cabin door.

I would imagine that lots of duffle bags would be a nightmare to transport and present more of a tripping hazard in the narrow hallways.

That said the odd one or two probably doesn't present the same issues as 3000 of them.

Good job I didn't read that fine print as I brought 40 lbs of school supplies for one of our port stops in April in a rolling duffle bag. I left it at the curb on embarkation day with all the other luggage and it was delivered to our stateroom with no issue. I didn't have to go pick it up in the "naughty" room and there was nothing to say "don't do it again".

You should have no trouble.

Edited by 1of4

We have used rolling duffle bags for years and on many, many cruises without incident or issues. We use cable ties to secure the zippers - just in case one gets snagged and decides to open up. Trust me, you will see lots of duffle bags and back packs when you check in as many are more lightweight than hard sided luggage. Have seen boxes and plastic tubs loaded on many cruises and not heard a peep about any problems. HAL is probably making that statement as a disclaimer for hassles if something should go missing from your luggage.

Edited by take us away

We have used rolling duffle bags for years and on many, many cruises without incident or issues. We use cable ties to secure the zippers - just in case one gets snagged and decides to open up. Trust me, you will see lots of duffle bags and back packs when you check in as many are more lightweight than hard sided luggage. Have seen boxes and plastic tubs loaded on many cruises and not heard a peep about any problems. HAL is probably making that statement as a disclaimer for hassles if something should go missing from your luggage.

Mine aren't the nice, heavy duty, rolling sort. They are more like oversized gym bags, do not match, show their advanced age, and at least one has been repaired a time or two with duct tape. Hopefully, none of those facts will present a problem either.

As far as the CYA aspect of it, that would make sense, except that I thought they were able to open and inspect your luggage at will.

So, requiring locked luggage doesn't even make sense, now that I think about it.

I guess I'd better call HAL when I get up and ask them directly.

Thanks everyone, for the replies. It has definitely made me hopeful that I won't have to go scouring the thrift shops for "proper" suitcases!

You should be just fine. We have a couple of huge LL Bean duffel bags that have no wheels. Big enough to almost be body bags but which weight almost nothing so we can load them up. Never had an issue on and ship we've been on. The only reason we throw a TSA lock on them is to prevent ease of access. If someone wants to get into luggage, they will. TSA locks allow TSA to open up a piece for inspection. They actually did on one trip.

Dan

You should be just fine. We have a couple of huge LL Bean duffel bags that have no wheels. Big enough to almost be body bags but which weight almost nothing so we can load them up. Never had an issue on and ship we've been on. The only reason we throw a TSA lock on them is to prevent ease of access. If someone wants to get into luggage, they will. TSA locks allow TSA to open up a piece for inspection. They actually did on one trip.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Potentially stupid question, but is it TSA that does the inspecting at the dock? I live in Seattle, so not taking a plane. Also, what is a "TSA lock", and is there any reason I couldn't just use cable ties, as mentioned above if it is TSA inspecting stuff?

Mine aren't the nice, heavy duty, rolling sort. They are more like oversized gym bags, do not match, show their advanced age, and at least one has been repaired a time or two with duct tape. Hopefully, none of those facts will present a problem either.

As far as the CYA aspect of it, that would make sense, except that I thought they were able to open and inspect your luggage at will.

So, requiring locked luggage doesn't even make sense, now that I think about it.

I guess I'd better call HAL when I get up and ask them directly.

Thanks everyone, for the replies. It has definitely made me hopeful that I won't have to go scouring the thrift shops for "proper" suitcases!

Our friends always have a duffle type suitcase. We never lock our luggage as I thought TSA must be allowed access to it. We just have clothes and toiletries in them with meds, jewelry, cameras and electronics in our carry on and backpacks. Interesting fine print.

Thanks Dan.

Potentially stupid question, but is it TSA that does the inspecting at the dock? I live in Seattle, so not taking a plane. Also, what is a "TSA lock", and is there any reason I couldn't just use cable ties, as mentioned above if it is TSA inspecting stuff?

TSA is at the airports. If you're not flying then you won't interact with them. TSA lock allow them to be opened and then relocked with an color change or some other means of letting you know the lock was opened. Cable ties work fine but if TSA needs to get into the bag to examine they will cut it and the luggage will be unlocked.

Dan

TSA approved locks allow a master key for the airport security to look inside. The port doesn't open suitcases/bags; they x-ray them. If there is something inside they want to see the bag will not be delivered to your cabin. You will have to go get it (hence the term "naughty room") and you will be required to open it to show them what it is they have a question about.

I observed bags being taken off the ship. Once they are out of the ship's possession they belong to the longshoremen. They throw them onto lg movers. I think HAL is just saying they are not responsible for items broken or stolen especially when not on the ship.

I have seen suitcases sitting out in the rain waiting to be put on the ship. Once the longshoremen took an extra long lunch to protest something. The room stewards just sat next to the elevators waiting and waiting for the bags. We then were late leaving. Smart to not have valuables in those suitcases.

I've traveled around the world with a Rick Steves rucksack for almost 15 years, including 5 HAL cruises. It's sturdy, stackable and still looks new. And only cost $100. I was tired of buying expensive cases that turned out to be too heavy, wheels were crummy or the zippers broke. When we cruise we also use a garment bag, which does have wheels.

We have used rolling duffle bags for the past 10 years and love them. We also use coloured cable ties to secure the zippers - if the TSA open them, they are replaced by either black or white ties, and we know at a glance if our suitcases have been inspected.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

Why would it be any harder to load a rolling duffle onto a luggage container than any soft or hard sided suitcase? I use 28" rolling duffles and I find it as easy as any other bag to handle.... in some cases, even easier.

Sorry but you may have a problem. Carriers can refuse to take damaged/ripped

bags because of insurance claims. So I guess it could be a question of how badly your bag is damaged.

Khaos Wolfkat - hopefully now you can stop fretting. Your attire will be interesting and appropriate, your duffles and backpack will be perfect and who cares if it does not match (2 of our do but only because we do not buy black so have 2 reds), Now all you have to do is have a wonderful time! Wish I was sailing with you as bet it would be a blast!

I know at least one HAL Captain (and his wife) use duffle bags.

While we used to have rolling duffles (neither survived their first flight/trip with both of its wheels :rolleyes:), they did have a protected area along the side with the wheels & slide-out handle. Seeing how bags are piled into the cages for transport from the terminal to the ship, I wouldn't put anything remotely breakable in them. I'd be afraid they would be at the bottom with a few hundred pounds thrown on top.

I recently read a post somewhere on this site saying that we should be sure to lock our bags when we place them in the hallways outside our room the night before disembarkation. Someone could easily add something to your bag otherwise.

I am not an alarmist....but a package of small cable ties is very cheap.

TSA Locks are pretty inexpensive, but if you want something disposable, do a search for Tamperseal or tamper-evident luggage ties. You can pick up 50 or 100 for less than $20. Each tie is numbered, and you can open them without a cutter.

We used a rolling duffel years ago that arrived in our cabin with a big gash in the side. I love them because they barely weigh anything whereas an empty suitcase can weigh 12 lbs or more, but they will be thrown and yours could be torn also.

The TSA locks pictured in an above link are sold at Target in 2 packs for about $12-14.