booked 6/28 summit at the last minute: give me all your tips and secrets!

dorito6778

I agree -- when its $100 for dinner they price themselves out. I bet the place is empty as it seems so many specialty restaurants are less busy on all ships as they raise the prices. I heard that normandy is not busy.

I particularly like watching the pushing and shoving in the buffet dining area on embarkation day.

As people search for empty seats and tables, their eyes glaze over! They realize they never saw pictures of this on cruise advertisements. First time cruisers are starting to wonder if the made the right decision. Backpacks and carryons being dragged through the aisles are a sight to see. You have to realize these people haven't eaten in a few hours. Starts to bring about sweet memories doesn't it?

I agree -- when its $100 for dinner they price themselves out. I bet the place is empty as it seems so many specialty restaurants are less busy on all ships as they raise the prices. I heard that normandy is not busy.

I don't know about you guys, but $100 for my partner and I to go out for dinner is pretty close to what we pay normally at home.

Yes I'm also aware of the argument that you're paying $50 on top of the x amount you're paying per day, but really for us it comes from a totally different budget.

Yes, and many people are still not going there for lunch because they don't even notice the announcement that it's opened :)

We had a very pleasant lunch there on embarkation day! I highly recommend it!

Do you leave your carry on bags at the entrance, like people tend to do on very sad LAST :( day?

Do you leave your carry on bags at the entrance, like people tend to do on very sad LAST :( day?

We brought our bags into the MDR with us. There was plenty of room since not a lot of people were in there.

Being a native New York could be part of the reason, but I NEVER, EVER leave my carry-on unattended. (My carry-on has the very IMPORTANT items I need, which is why I even have a carry-on.) I don't even like leaving my regular luggage outside the room on the final night, but I do anyway. I know there are cameras and if anything should go missing, the thief would be identified.

We brought them in with us for breakfast on the last day as well, and managed to easily find a place for them near our table.

we never bring our bags with us to breakfast. we leave everything in the room, try to catch the room attendant and let him/her know we'll be back as quickly as possible, eat fast, get bags, disembark. i don't believe we've ever had a problem doing this.

we never bring our bags with us to breakfast. we leave everything in the room, try to catch the room attendant and let him/her know we'll be back as quickly as possible, eat fast, get bags, disembark. i don't believe we've ever had a problem doing this.

We do the exact same thing, whether we have breakfast in the MDR or up in the buffet. We leave our stuff in the room, go and eat and then collect our carry ons and proceed to disembark.

We take our time leaving, so we always book the latest time possible to disembark.

The rooms have to be vacated by 8:00AM (I believe), so we didn't want to have to rush through breakfast and hurry back to our room.

We ran down and picked up our early morning coffee from Café Al Bacio around 7:00AM (as we did every morning before that), and then left our cabin around 7:30 with our bags, went to breakfast, had a leisurely breakfast, and then went to wait in our disembark area. A few minutes after we got there, our group was called and we walked off the ship.

This disembarkation was one of the easiest we can remember. (The new port terminal at Cape Liberty was WONDERFUL for both embarkation AND disembarkation!!! The easiest and quickest yet for both!)

I've taken my kids, now 9 and 11, to Bermuda three times over the past four years on the Summit.

They are not kid's club fans and spend very little time there. They love participating in scavenger hunts and there was usually one each sea day. On the last sea day, there were Fun Factory family events, such as a scavenger hunt, bingo and talent show. They also enjoyed the production shows and the family pool.

We are the opposite, Celebrity Elite cruisers trying out our Diamond benefits on Adventure of the Seas this summer. My kids are beyond excited to try all the activities as the Summit was more of a quiet ship.

Now, activities in Bermuda. We've never gone to Snorkel Park. We never saw any reason to when there are fantastic beaches 20 minutes away.

In 2011, our itinerary was Hamilton and a walk to sea glass beach on Day 1, St. Georges and BAMZ on Day 2 and biking on the Railway Trail then Horseshoe Bay on Day 3.

Photos are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/116889349930358549335/albums/5623108908474855297?banner=pwa&authkey=CMmgy6W3rPHkyAE

In 2013, our itinerary was renting a Boston Whaler on Day 1, Crystal Caves on Day 2 and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay on Day 3.

Photos are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/116889349930358549335/albums/5915162865750275233?banner=pwa&authkey=CKjcmP3Xge33rgE

In 2014, our itinerary was Southlands and Tom Moore's Jungle on Day 1, beaches from Warwick Long Bay through Horseshoe Bay on Day 2 and pontoon boat rental on Day 3.

Photos are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/116889349930358549335/albums/6049838971797793761?banner=pwa&authkey=CMzEtsr658yFAw

Next time, whenever it will be, we will spend more time on the Railway Trail and Hamilton.

Have fun!

Here is a tip: Ask the bartender at the Rendezvous to make your daughter a no-alcohol mudslide. They will think it is a strange request but then they will produce a delicious vanilla milkshake.

At the sunset bar it's not as good--they use ice cubes.

She might also enjoy the guests-vs-officers pool volleyball, but you'll want to stake out a spot on the edge of the pool. You'll get splashed!

I particularly like watching the pushing and shoving in the buffet dining area on embarkation day.

As people search for empty seats and tables, their eyes glaze over! They realize they never saw pictures of this on cruise advertisements. First time cruisers are starting to wonder if the made the right decision. Backpacks and carryons being dragged through the aisles are a sight to see. You have to realize these people haven't eaten in a few hours. Starts to bring about sweet memories doesn't it?

It amazes me how many people can take up way more that one seat during the embarkation day frenzy...at least half the seats in the buffet area are not used by human beings during that time!

I'm with you. I live in NY where it's not

Uncommon for me to drop $300 for a diner

For 2 at the palm. However, the food you

Pay for is pretty decent and sometimes

Does not always warrant the extra.

Either way I would pay it but they keep raising

It; the experience has to be raised.

Most ships even in the finer restaurants

Are using cheaper less than prime meats.

I was on regent cruises and they set

The bar really high when it comes

To food quality.

I'm with you. I live in NY where it's not

Uncommon for me to drop $300 for a diner

For 2 at the palm. However, the food you

Pay for is pretty decent and sometimes

Does not always warrant the extra.

Either way I would pay it but they keep raising

It; the experience has to be raised.

Most ships even in the finer restaurants

Are using cheaper less than prime meats.

I was on regent cruises and they set

The bar really high when it comes

To food quality.

It is hard to think of the Palm Restaurant being in even the same discussion as Celebrity Specialty restaurants. We used to love the Palm when we lived in NYC...we also loved Peter Lugers.

I'd say the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are really quite good....qsine is creative service with interesting dishes....but lobster dishes aren't served with the 4 pound maine lobster we were once served at the Palm...rather they are frozen warm water lobster tails. The Chateaubriand is excellent, but a far cry from Peter Luger's steaks. I will say that the specialty restaurants are very nice meals, worth a premium price. Everyone has a view of what a fair price is...there are specialty meal packages...there are often discounts offered on board. For the right (whatever your definition), qsine, Tuscan Grill, Murano and the murano clones with different names on the M-class ships, you'll get a very nice and likely memorable meal.

Edited by ghstudio

Normandie is still $45. We ate there on our May 17th cruise and booked it for the first night of our cruise next May at $45 dollars with a 20% discount to be credited to our onboard account. Net cost for the first night is $36.

Edited by carads

I will have to try Normandie again; I am sure it will excellent. I was on Regent cruises in the past; and I have to say the food was outstanding and just as good as Luger's and the palm - they use all prime meats and chefs from the culinary school in Paris.. (are able to enjoy the inimitable culinary artistry of Paris' famed Le Cordon Bleu chefs in the ship's Signatures restaurant)

This was by far my favorite food of any ship I have sailed; the price of the cruise is the worst part but after that its amazing.

I like to try Qsine? is that good?

We did Qsine at the end of the week at a special of 20% or 30% off the $45 price for and loved it. We picked 5 selections plus dessert and were stuffed by the end of dinner. We also had a pitcher of their sangria and it was great.

For any day at the buffet you can head to the very back where there is a sandwich bar, including custom paninis, soups and salads and it is usually not crowded. I also recommend the Aqua Spa cafe for breakfast and lunch and the Afternoon Tea. The scones, jam and cream are delish. Unfortunately your daughter is not allowed in the thalassotherapy pool in the Solarium, but if she is otherwise occupied do not miss it. If you have the Beverage Pkg, or want to splurge go to Cafe Al Bacio for coffee and tea drinks. The food there is free.

Last year the Summit experimented with opening Blu and Normandie for embarkation lunch, but did not follow through after the Bermuda runs. Very disappointing. I do hope they keep the MDR open for embarkation. This is done on Princess and for returning passengers on HAL. It certainly helps spread out the passengers and takes some stress out of boarding. I have always felt Embarkation Day was not very relaxing.

where is the elite breakfast exactly? can my daughter come with me?

i was on BA last summer (just MH and I) and i went to snorkel park the last day by myself (after horseshoe bay). yes, it was crowded but it also provides a nice shallow calm cove for the little ones to swim comfortably in (with facilities…she could easily go to the ladies room 10 times in one beach day lol). i don't mind paying the up charge if she's happy and comfortable.

Elite breakfast is in the Normandie on the Summit. Not alot of choice, but quiet & relaxed. My DH didn't like it so we ended up in the MDR for breakfast most mornings.

Bermuda Maritime Museum Commissioner’s House Balcony 6-3-2011.

View from the museum next to the Summit at The Dockyard, worth a visit.

18303650058_9e75f531ac_c.jpg

Commissioner’s House Balcony is worth the short walk and small climb. It's all next to the Summit.

17868086304_c6fb708373_c.jpg

CaptDave

Make sure you sample the desserts and pastries at the Coffee spot. They are gratis and very good as are their cookies. The Gellato station is a charge but the Buffet has an ice cream station. Your daughter may want to know that the candies that they put on the ice cream can be had in a cup for snacking too.

Don't sleep in late everyday. Try to catch at least one perfect sunrise on the Atlantic cruising to Bermuda.

If you want to get photo's of the Summit at the best time get them way early, as the sun is rising.

18493111422_a8df59b800_c.jpg

CaptDave

If you want to try a specialty restaurant, wait for the deals on-board...the special discounts (when they aren't sold out which is most of the time). You can also make them an offer....If we can bring our daughter for free, we'd love to try QSine (I bet they take you up on this one)...it's likely you can get 20-50% off at some point during the cruise. QSine is fun with good food (recommended for your family)...the United States is more for a romantic longer dinner, but excellent food.

I agree about waiting for deals and especially against pre-booking if you're going to have OBC to spend.

When we first sailed Silhouette 3.5 years ago, I really wanted to eat at Murano and people here on CC had reported getting it for half price the first night. The snooty maitre'd said they never discount 50% and cannot because of the food cost. Of course I knew he was BS'ing me but what could I do. Then we walked into Qsine to look around, and I wasn't looking for a bargain since I had booked dinner (at full price!) prior to sailing since I really wanted to eat there. Talking to the maitre'd there I casually asked if they had any specials that night and he offered me 50% off, which I took him up on! I eventually cancelled the reservation I had for later in the week since I decided that once was enough, although I want to go back when we're on Summit in August.

With that out of the way.. have people been able to get 50% off at Qsine on Summit this Bermuda season? I'm actually going to have a free specialty dining voucher from my TA, so in theory I shouldn't care about getting Qsine for half price, although I could use the voucher at Normandie instead.

Edited by MisterBill99

Very envious of you going on Summit to Bermuda we went last May and had the most wonderful time! We were in a Sky Suite and were given a surprise lunch in Normandie on boarding. We had our complimentary dinner in there and had superb food. O/H is a real foody and had the dover sole cooked tableside. He still goes on about it. We shared crepes cooked tableside and they were so delicious! Some friends we made on this site booked a full day excursion with a driver called David Smith. It was about $50 each for 4 persons. He took us all round the island and was so full of interesting tips and stories pointing out celebrity homes and haunts. He took us to St George in time for the "dunking of the wench" my Oh was picked to take part it was hilarious. Your daughter would love it! We went to the Swizzle Inn and had rum. On the second day we did the bus to Horseshoe Bay. Your daughter would enjoy the ride its unbelievable how fast they go. We saw the tshirts afterwards "we did the bus ride and survived" third day there was so much to do in the port time just flew (or could that be the numerous samples of rum cake!) We ate in Aqua mainly but the food in the MDR was the best we have had on Celebrity. Got to give a mention to the captain Demetrious he was the star of the show! He could have his own show he was that funny and always around the ship really friendly joking and laughing with everyone. Everything was perfect and Im sure your cruise will be too. Just got to keep saving for the next time!