Lost the edge ????

Why not just sail on one of the freedom or voyager class ships, instead?

I know the Quantum class may not be everyone's cup of tea and if anything they seem similar to the larger NCL boats, however nobody is forcing you to go on them :p

I particularly recommend Indy and Liberty, two of the finest vessels imho :)

I have ...... Indy and voyager ........ But they weren't in the uk in 2015.

I didn't hate anthem, it just wasn't me.

Nobody forced me ...... I just went on with great expectations, and was disappointed. (And it was because they put the explorer cruise up by 400 quid each........hence thinking the newer ship would be better)

I would suggest you never go on the Norwegian Escape then. (Or any of the breakaway class ships.)

While I do enjoy a big pool area...you have to go back to the Freedom/Voyager classes for that. Since Oasis breaks them up and so does Quantum.

You have to remember, these Quantum class ships are not designed for 24/7 Caribbean sun, so there is no need to make a huge and impressive pool area. What they have presumably works for the purposes of the ship/weather.

Add the NCL Epic to that list also. Terrible pool area.

Well no ..... I actually didn't realise they weren't meant to be sunny cruise ships.

What were they designed for then ? Just curious .......

The NCL ships have water flumes all over the place, please tell me that's designed for pants weather then .....

Maybe the Quantum class ships were designed for a more classier "slum it" type cruiser then.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They're designed so that in inclement weather (sailing from NJ all winter long), there will be plenty of indoor space available in the solarium and indoor pool, along with the various other non-pool areas (Two70, SeaPlex, etc.)

Well no ..... I actually didn't realise they weren't meant to be sunny cruise ships.

What were they designed for then ? Just curious .......

The NCL ships have water flumes all over the place, please tell me that's designed for pants weather then .....

Maybe the Quantum class ships were designed for a more classier "slum it" type cruiser then.

I'm not sure what the weather is like in China, but my best guess is not sunny all year round like the Caribbean. So it makes sense that 2 of the 3 are there and 1 is year round out of NJ.

Yes, those NCL ships have water slides/kids pool all in one area, but then only one main pool area that gets very crowded. Haven has a pool area thats private, Spice H2O at the back of the ship is a sun area, but only has a whirlpool and a water feature/waterfall but no pool. And the Vibe (private for fee area) only has whirlpools. So the main pool area leaves more to be desired than Anthems does for sure.

I'm all about new and different and I'm definitely about technology.

However, I found that the Anthem took a number of noticeable steps backwards in my opinion from our experience on Allure. It was different, but it sure wasn't better and really lacked the WOW factor.

Our cabin (Superior Grand Suite) which was supposed to be a slight step up from the GS we've sailed in on Allure in the past was a noticeable downgrade. In fact in some respects my parents in the Spa JS had a much better room than us.

Seaplex, might be great for kids, but was a noticeable step back as a multifunction purpose space compared to the Ice Rink and the Royal Promenade.

Entertainment, a significant step backwards!

Technology, sad to say but other than VOOM it was a step backwards in some respects and just bad execution in many of the rest. The Wayfinders were quite buggy and far less responsive and usable than the ones on Allure. That's really SAD considering the age difference that they actually got worse and not better or at least able to maintain the same. RoyalIQ was a complete turd as was all their "reservation" systems onboard for events and dining.

JR's, a significant step backwards to the point that they shouldn't have even bothered with it. Seriously, even Majesty has better JR's than Anthem.

Promenade, a huge downgrade in usefulness and functionality. It makes a great multi-purpose space on Allure.

I could go on, but you get the point. It's not just about DD or pools. They didn't just do it "different" they actually went backwards in a number of areas.

I feel so disappointed that I honestly think that RCCI has really lost the edge on the quantum calls ships. it feels like they've given up the whole ice rink, royal promenade thing for more pay restaurants and extremely expensive shops. I'm gutted ......

Lost our beautiful MDR for allegedly better dining options, and they're not :(

slow lifts, hardly any pool deck, and the sea plex arena that isn't that great. ..... gutted :(

There are many more ships in the fleet, and Harmony will be online soon. That being said your logic seems a bit screwy.....:rolleyes:

I could go on, but you get the point. It's not just about DD or pools. They didn't just do it "different" they actually went backwards in a number of areas.

...that "backwards" is working just fine for now and keeping the ship full and at high prices - maybe RCI was aiming for that "backwards"?:cool:

I booked it cause there's no boring main dining room. I'm doing dynamic choice and will eat where and when i want. With no assigned table or table mates - i don't need to know my waiter, i don't at restaurants at home!

I'm excited for We will Rock you (love Queen!), 270 looks amazing, Northstar, surfing, skydiving (simulated but wth), bumper cars! sounds fun to me.

Love the fact that there's indoor space to lounge, indoor pool, solarium etc - i'm heading north from NJ to Canada!

Stores i could care less about, i'll window shop, but i can shop in NYC where I live. Pay restaurants, sure if they're good and interesting (love Jamie Oliver so will def eat there! )

I'm excited. going solo. plan to have fun and relax.

oh and NO FORMAL NIGHTS - thank gawd

Edited by Tura Lura

I booked it cause there's no boring main dining room. I'm doing dynamic choice and will eat where and when i want. With no assigned table or table mates - i don't need to know my waiter, i don't at restaurants at home!

I'm excited for We will Rock you (love Queen!), 270 looks amazing, Northstar, surfing, skydiving (simulated but wth), bumper cars! sounds fun to me.

Love the fact that there's indoor space to lounge, indoor pool, solarium etc - i'm heading north from NJ to Canada!

Stores i could care less about, i'll window shop, but i can shop in NYC where I live. Pay restaurants, sure if they're good and interesting (love Jamie Oliver so will def eat there! )

I'm excited. going solo. plan to have fun and relax.

oh and NO FORMAL NIGHTS - thank gawd

You'll have a great time then.

I'm disappointed ....... That's what these forums are for.

I'm sure you'll love anthem. And i hope you do.

You booked it for all the right reasons for you. I booked it because they put the price of Explorer up by £300 per person for the same cruise. I booked it thinking it would be a better ship too.

...that "backwards" is working just fine for now and keeping the ship full and at high prices - maybe RCI was aiming for that "backwards"?:cool:

They succeeded with flying colours :)

I'm all about new and different and I'm definitely about technology.

However, I found that the Anthem took a number of noticeable steps backwards in my opinion from our experience on Allure. It was different, but it sure wasn't better and really lacked the WOW factor.

Hmm... not sure if I agree on all of your points...

Our cabin (Superior Grand Suite) which was supposed to be a slight step up from the GS we've sailed in on Allure in the past was a noticeable downgrade. In fact in some respects my parents in the Spa JS had a much better room than us.

No idea about that- we had a Spa JS and thought it was really nice. Not sure how the GS line up to each other

Seaplex, might be great for kids, but was a noticeable step back as a multifunction purpose space compared to the Ice Rink and the Royal Promenade.

Well, I'm not sure how you make the Seaplex the replacement of the rink AND the promenade, but with respect to the ice rink- for the rink, all that is done there is open skate, watch a show, the quest, and the welcome back party.

Seaplex has the roller skating, bumper cars, the quest (which I agree that the set up is odd), games, and circus classes.

Seems to me that the Seaplex is FAR more multifunction than the ice rink is. Heck, it's never closed like Studio B is for much of a day.

As for the promenade vs esplanade- to me, it just means that one could not gather there for parades and get together events as large. Since there's not a captain's night, well....

Entertainment, a significant step backwards!

That I don't get. Both ships have a Broadway show, both ships have a second show, both ships have an aerial show, the only big loss is the ice show. And I think the additional shows at 270 more than made up for that. Plus the music hall was great for live music in a large venue. Also, this ship is SMALLER than the Oasis/Allure, so it makes sense that it would not have a outdoor pool show (moreso since it's out of a northern port in the winter).

And we found 270 to be an amazing venue to be at and experience. It was as if Central Park was actually USED by real people, and they put big shows on there.

If you didn't like the entertainment- well, that's fine. But in terms of what is offered, it was at least equal if not more.

Technology, sad to say but other than VOOM it was a step backwards in some respects and just bad execution in many of the rest. The Wayfinders were quite buggy and far less responsive and usable than the ones on Allure. That's really SAD considering the age difference that they actually got worse and not better or at least able to maintain the same. RoyalIQ was a complete turd as was all their "reservation" systems onboard for events and dining.

For some reason, I didn't find the same problems. Funny that you call the less working Royal IQ a negative relative to the Allure- since the Allure doesn't have it. So even if it does not work, it's an addition that you should not miss if it does not work.

JR's, a significant step backwards to the point that they shouldn't have even bothered with it. Seriously, even Majesty has better JR's than Anthem.

How is it a big step back? Because its up on a top deck instead of the Boardwalk? It's a fast food place- which seems to be the same wherever I go. Heck, we walked past one in Orlando this past weekend- seemed just like the ones on the ship.

Promenade, a huge downgrade in usefulness and functionality. It makes a great multi-purpose space on Allure.

All the promenade added was one party for the captain and two parades. Store are stores. What was neat on the Anthem was that there were real dining options as opposed to snacks. Plus, the bar food was really good. You can call that a huge downgrade, I liked the change a lot.

All in all, I don't get your point. And as such, we booked the Anthem for this coming fall. Good thing the fleet is so large that both of us can be happy.

Edited by alfaeric

How is it a big step back? Because its up on a top deck instead of the Boardwalk? It's a fast food place- which seems to be the same wherever I go. Heck, we walked past one in Orlando this past weekend- seemed just like the ones on the ship.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Johnny Rockets on Anthem is different - it's take out (no booths, etc.) and the menu is a-la-carte. I believe there are a few tables, but you need to go to the counter to order and it will be given to you as a take out that you can take to the tables or where ever you wish to eat it.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Johnny Rockets on Anthem is different - it's take out (no booths, etc.) and the menu is a-la-carte. I believe there are a few tables, but you need to go to the counter to order and it will be given to you as a take out that you can take to the tables or where ever you wish to eat it.

No, I never walked in to find out. Maybe a step back, but considering the usage of the fast food place, it's not that massive. I've never see a JR full.

To me that's a plus. Al a carte for a fast food place makes way more sense than a cover charge. Then you can run it and grab just fries or something if you like, and take out to eat on deck. Sounds good to me!

To me that's a plus. Al a carte for a fast food place makes way more sense than a cover charge. Then you can run it and grab just fries or something if you like, and take out to eat on deck. Sounds good to me!

That's a bit daft. You go into JR's for the experience. If you wanted to just run in and get some fries, what's the point of paying for something that you can get out of the windjammer for free ?

That's a "wouldn't hear a bad word about them" comment.

That's a bit daft. You go into JR's for the experience. If you wanted to just run in and get some fries, what's the point of paying for something that you can get out of the windjammer for free ?

That's a "wouldn't hear a bad word about them" comment.

For the experience? It's a fast food place. I could go to one any time I want. That's like saying I go to mcdonalds for the "experience." I'd go for the food. If I liked the fries ( for example) better than the ones in windjammer, I might pay for them.

For the experience? It's a fast food place. I could go to one any time I want. That's like saying I go to mcdonalds for the "experience." I'd go for the food. If I liked the fries ( for example) better than the ones in windjammer, I might pay for them.

Nope, you completely missed my point.

Jamies Italian on anthem.

An a la carte (now) restaurant. Do you just run in there and get a quick pizza then go and sit out on the promenade deck ? No ..... you pop into 270 and get a bit of grub.

Jr on indy (you probably already know) is , to us brits, an American style diner where they all greet you and say goodbye. Staff do silly dances etc. So an experience ...... do you see where I'm coming from ?

Nope, you completely missed my point.

Jamies Italian on anthem.

An a la carte (now) restaurant. Do you just run in there and get a quick pizza then go and sit out on the promenade deck ? No ..... you pop into 270 and get a bit of grub.

Jr on indy (you probably already know) is , to us brits, an American style diner where they all greet you and say goodbye. Staff do silly dances etc. So an experience ...... do you see where I'm coming from ?

Jamie's isn't al a carte, now it's $20 for lunch, $30 for dinner. Which makes sense as a sit down restaurant. Johnny Rocket's to me is just a burger place, so makes sense to be al a carte. As a New Yorker, I could go to one tonite if I like. If I just wanted a shake or fries, and I was craving them from there I'd pay. I doubt I'd go at all though since I'd rather do something I can't do at home. The silly dances are something I'd run from! But I see how that is an experience to you.

Jamie's isn't al a carte, now it's $20 for lunch, $30 for dinner. Which makes sense as a sit down restaurant. Johnny Rocket's to me is just a burger place, so makes sense to be al a carte. As a New Yorker, I could go to one tonite if I like. If I just wanted a shake or fries, and I was craving them from there I'd pay. I doubt I'd go at all though since I'd rather do something I can't do at home. The silly dances are something I'd run from! But I see how that is an experience to you.

Ah !! So they stopped it !! Probably had loads of complaints about it going from cover charge to a la carte ......

Jamies Italian is a bit like Johnny rockets ..... it's a chain restaurant ......

And tbh, the food is just OK.

But on indy , rockets is a sit down place with booths etc.

I don't like all that silly dancing stuff either if I'm honest .....

BTW. Loving this discussion. I'm not being argumentative, but I still want you to enjoy anthem x

Ah !! So they stopped it !! Probably had loads of complaints about it going from cover charge to a la carte ......

Jamies Italian is a bit like Johnny rockets ..... it's a chain restaurant ......

And tbh, the food is just OK.

But on indy , rockets is a sit down place with booths etc.

I don't like all that silly dancing stuff either if I'm honest .....

BTW. Loving this discussion. I'm not being argumentative, but I still want you to enjoy anthem x

You have a very interesting view of these restaurants.

Putting together a chain sit down restaurant with a fast food chain restaurant I can't relate to.

It's great that you can have an experience at a US fast food joint that pretends to be a diner. But to me, it's a tiny step above McDonalds. A big step below a Olive Garden, which I would not even equate to Jamie's.

But, honestly, is that really a huge step back? The dance and food is 30 min of your cruise. Unless you go more than once. Minor, at worst.

The Anthem/Quantum are smaller than the Oasis/Allure- so it's natural that some things don't make it. Other than that, they are quite equal in terms of what is offered.

Thanks for your input :)

I have yet to go on any oasis class ships. Hoping to try out harmony in may.

It wasn't really a comparison. I was saying, why would you go into a pay restaurant to get fries to eat on deck when you can grab them for free in the windjammer.

And jamies is on the promenade deck, would you run in there to get a pizza and go and sit on the promenade deck and eat it .....

It's really hard to get your point across on here. So I'll stop :)