What is there to do in Caribbean Port over nights?

janewe

With it getting dark shortly after 6 pm and many having safety concerns of being out late in some Ports does anyone have any input into what there is to do in the evenings in the likes of Curacao?

Has anyone been there recently because when I worked and lived there a number of years ago, there was nothing to do? A few restaurants but no great Bars or Night Clubs.

The previous schedule was for us to be in Port until 11 pm which would have given lots of time for people to go out for a meal. Can anyone shed some light on why we are losing Bonaire to overnight in Curacao? Thank you!

Can anyone shed some light on why we are losing Bonaire to overnight in Curacao? Thank you!

Since none of us on CC are employed in the port planning dept of RCCL/Celebrity, this area will remain dark. But just as with every sport team, the arm chair quarterbacks will have all the "assumed" reasons to try and light up the room.

Edited by wallie5446

http://nightspublications.com/curacao

http://www.curacao-travelguide.com/discover/nightlife/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147277-Activities-Curacao.html#TtD

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147277-Activities-Curacao.html#TtD

http://caribya.com/curacao/nightlife/

http://www.islands.com/top-5-things-do-curacao

Just a few links for you to peruse until your cruise which stops there.

btw - I would recommend checking these and other possible links on google or bing or whichever search engine you use as your cruise gets closer if it is more than six months out.

bon voyage

Thanks for the links. I wonder how much is going on in the week day night we are there. They adjusted our departure time in Barbados as well to midnight but also wonder what one can do there on a Sunday evening. We were previously scheduled to leave at 11 pm, now in Curacao for two days. Being there over night does not seem compelling to give up a different Island the next day.

Bottom line, I wish they had left the itinerary the way it was when I booked it and yes I know they can change it but I don't like it.

Thanks for the links. I wonder how much is going on in the week day night we are there. They adjusted our departure time in Barbados as well to midnight but also wonder what one can do there on a Sunday evening. We were previously scheduled to leave at 11 pm, now in Curacao for two days. Being there over night does not seem compelling to give up a different Island the next day.

Bottom line, I wish they had left the itinerary the way it was when I booked it and yes I know they can change it but I don't like it.

I TOTALLY agree with you.

It was a great itinerary. :mad:

Someone ought to teach the suits at Celebrity that if something is selling well (our cruise certainly was!) they should stick to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy . :mad:

As to what to do at night in Curacao - last year we were going to be there until 11 and I did a lot of questioning on the "Curacao ports" board and a poster who is very familiar with the island (I think she lives there) suggested we be back at the ship by dark to be safe.

Just sayin.....

I sent this to Celebrity this morning.

We booked the January 10th Cruise on Eclipse months ago and note through Cruise Critic that you are omitting Bonaire to have us over night in Curacao. I have still to get confirmation of that from you.

We booked this two week Cruise at great expense so as to visit ALL the Islands and here you are making us lose one. Your rationale is that over nights in Europe are very popular and you want to do the same in the Caribbean. Well the latter does not have large exotic European type Ports and safety is an issue. One has only to read the State Department advisories on them.

You made a mistake as evidenced on the Cruise Critic Poll where only 16 % want over nights. You are alienating up to 84 % of your customers. Is that any way to run a business? It’s not too late to rectify the situation. We all make mistakes. It takes a big person to admit to it, say sorry and move on.

It’s in your hands.

With it getting dark shortly after 6 pm and many having safety concerns of being out late in some Ports does anyone have any input into what there is to do in the evenings in the likes of Curacao?

Has anyone been there recently because when I worked and lived there a number of years ago, there was nothing to do? A few restaurants but no great Bars or Night Clubs.

The previous schedule was for us to be in Port until 11 pm which would have given lots of time for people to go out for a meal. Can anyone shed some light on why we are losing Bonaire to overnight in Curacao? Thank you!

Well, prostitution is legal in Curacao..... :eek:

Not sure if that's the kind of nightlife Celebrity is eager for its passengers to enjoy while staying there overnight.

Every survey I have filled out for X, I have requested they add some overnights, to explore the nightlife, and local dining for dinner on the islands - get some authentic cuisine, see the sunsets from the islands beaches. I for one, am happy they have listened.

Overnighting to me makes sea travel feel more like an experience, than being one of 100 tourists in a group trying to figure out an entire island and culture on only 6 hours time.

I like the late night departures like midnight, so that we can eat dinner on the island, etc, but I don't know why the need to stay over night.

Agreed.

My very first cruise we stayed in Cozumel until midnight. The fun part was watching people attempting to run to board the ship at 11:30 after leaving Senor Frog's. :D

If arriving in Barbados on a Sunday during the peak season, then dine at The Cliff, just to tick off one item on your bucket list.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I'm hoping that with the new opportunities for overnight stays, there will also bring about people interested in actually doing some research on these destinations and sharing their insights, instead of the constant moaning that is going on now. An earlier post was encouraging and I look forward to reading it in more detail.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Cliff in Barbados but with the high cost of Air fares from the frozen north, baggage fees, hotel, taxi, excursions, cruise cost, gratuities etc etc., I think after "paying" for my dinner on the ship that I don't want to pay for another ashore. Although in retrospect that may be a reason for the overnight and late evening departures as some may go out drinking and have meals thus saving money for the Ship.

To the poster with the moaning comment. It's a pity you consider voicing displeasure at losing a Port as moaning. I respect other peoples opinion, I just don't need to agree with them but I would try not to put them down.

With it getting dark shortly after 6 pm and many having safety concerns of being out late in some Ports does anyone have any input into what there is to do in the evenings in the likes of Curacao?...
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has a list of Global Homicides rates per 100,000 population by country. 17 of the worst 24 are Caribbean basin countries or islands. I don't see Curacao on the list at all (?), but I think Barbados and the Dutch Islands are some of the safer places in the Caribbean. Mexico and Columbia (other mentioned overnights) are among the worst 24.

Thom

We booked the January 10th Cruise on Eclipse months ago and note through Cruise Critic that you are omitting Bonaire to have us over night in Curacao. I have still to get confirmation of that from you.

We booked this two week Cruise at great expense so as to visit ALL the Islands and here you are making us lose one. Your rationale is that over nights in Europe are very popular and you want to do the same in the Caribbean. Well the latter does not have large exotic European type Ports and safety is an issue. One has only to read the State Department advisories on them.

You made a mistake as evidenced on the Cruise Critic Poll where only 16 % want over nights. You are alienating up to 84 % of your customers. Is that any way to run a business? It’s not too late to rectify the situation. We all make mistakes. It takes a big person to admit to it, say sorry and move on.

It’s in your hands.

Thank you for writing to C.

There is NOTHING to do in Curacao. We this time would not even get off the ship and were really looking forward to Bonaire.

After dark, be sure you are back on ship.

As many as possible need to write , call, email Celeb to reinstate Bonaire. You never know , miracles do happen.

I will post a new topic to appeal to Celebrity to reinstate Bonaire. I will ask for those who agree to add their two cents worth. See if we can get Celebrity to see how many of us want reinstatement.

I have also called and written to them. Can we make a miracle happen?Maybe not but we can try.

As far as I know, that is not Celebrity's business.

Well, prostitution is legal in Curacao..... :eek:

Not sure if that's the kind of nightlife Celebrity is eager for its passengers to enjoy while staying there overnight.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Cliff in Barbados but with the high cost of Air fares from the frozen north, baggage fees, hotel, taxi, excursions, cruise cost, gratuities etc etc., I think after "paying" for my dinner on the ship that I don't want to pay for another ashore. Although in retrospect that may be a reason for the overnight and late evening departures as some may go out drinking and have meals thus saving money for the Ship.

To the poster with the moaning comment. It's a pity you consider voicing displeasure at losing a Port as moaning. I respect other peoples opinion, I just don't need to agree with them but I would try not to put them down.

If you wish to try a shabby chic beach bar, where many known expats and decent locals go, then consider "Ramshackles" (near Lone Star Restaurant). It appears nailed together with lumps of wood, then dumped at the roadside, with many different levels, but the vibe and cocktails are great. Worth a thought?

If you wish to try a shabby chic beach bar, where many known expats and decent locals go, then consider "Ramshackles" (near Lone Star Restaurant). It appears nailed together with lumps of wood, then dumped at the roadside, with many different levels, but the vibe and cocktails are great. Worth a thought?

Ramshackles is no longer there...closed....

...You made a mistake as evidenced on the Cruise Critic Poll where only 16 % want over nights. You are alienating up to 84 % of your customers. Is that any way to run a business? It’s not too late to rectify the situation. We all make mistakes. It takes a big person to admit to it, say sorry and move on.

It’s in your hands.

I can understand the point you're trying to make, but I think it's a stretch to take the results of the poll on Cruise Critic and extrapolate that to all the Celebrity cruisers who had an itinerary changed. It's way too small a sample, and even here on CC opinions very greatly depending on HOW an itinerary was changed.

I'm hoping that with the new opportunities for overnight stays, there will also bring about people interested in actually doing some research on these destinations and sharing their insights, instead of the constant moaning that is going on now. An earlier post was encouraging and I look forward to reading it in more detail.

I've already worked with my tour guide in Cartagena (Marelvy Pena-Hall) and planned an evening excursion that includes the National Folkloric Dance Troupe as well as food, beverages, and transportation. I've shared it with my roll call, and I'm hoping as time passes and people get over their annoyance about the change more will join us!

I'm anxious to read what other people come up with, as well as to see what Celebrity offers. I think this is a fantastic opportunity for not only dining and nightlife, but to do things such as sunset sailings that are usually off limits to cruisers.

"I can understand the point you're trying to make, but I think it's a stretch to take the results of the poll on Cruise Critic and extrapolate that to all the Celebrity cruisers who had an itinerary changed. It's way too small a sample, and even here on CC opinions very greatly depending on HOW an itinerary was changed."

I could do more research but for example a Poll of 200 has a margin of error of 7.1%. Therefor the results would fairly indicate that the vast majority don't want to miss an Island for an over night.

"I can understand the point you're trying to make, but I think it's a stretch to take the results of the poll on Cruise Critic and extrapolate that to all the Celebrity cruisers who had an itinerary changed. It's way too small a sample, and even here on CC opinions very greatly depending on HOW an itinerary was changed."

I could do more research but for example a Poll of 200 has a margin of error of 7.1%. Therefor the results would fairly indicate that the vast majority don't want to miss an Island for an over night.

In this case I disagree, mostly because huge though it is, CC represents a small percentage of the people who take a cruise vacation each year. The Cruise Critic membership tends to be made up of people who love cruises, do a lot of research, and are knowledgeable about or eager to learn about the product. I've met a fair number of people over the years who can't tell one island from another, and I'm always floored at the number of people who don't seem to know or care where their cruise is taking them.

Cindy, we will have to agree to disagree because my feeling is that folks who plan a 14 night deep south Cruise do in fact know where they are going. I imagine on short cruises people don't care so much as many go for a party junket but going on a high end long cruise it's a different story so I would beg to differ.

Cindy, we will have to agree to disagree because my feeling is that folks who plan a 14 night deep south Cruise do in fact know where they are going. I imagine on short cruises people don't care so much as many go for a party junket but going on a high end long cruise it's a different story so I would beg to differ.

Agreed...we'll have to disagree on this.:) I absolutely see your point of view, I just don't think Cruise Critic is an accurate representation of the cruising public.