Alaska Cruise Issues

e2011

I just spoke with my friend and his wife who are on the Alaska Cruise right now. They unfortunately have had a lot of grey sky and rain. They also commented that the food is not good. This is their 11th Disney cruise and it is the worst quality and tasting food they have ever had on any ship. This is not the first time I have heard this from avid cruisers. I was hoping for the premium money Disney charges that they would no cut corners on food purveyors as some of the other lines are doing but it looks like they too have succumb to the temptation of saving money by purchasing lower quality food. We have a cruise on the Dream coming up so it will be interesting to see what is offered...

Edited by e2011

Not sure what to say...Our experience is that the food quality has been dropping for many years and is far worst than it was in 1998. We've seen some of our favorites removed from the menus. We know what is good and can usually find something that we like that is properly prepared....but it isn't as good as even 5 years ago. One hint--ask for something a little special, like sauce on the side. That way, they have to plate up a special plate for you. Typically this means preparing it for you also. You don't get a plate that has been sitting under warming lights for 20 minutes.

We've done 2 other lines in the last 5 years and both had better food than DCL.

I've never thought Disney was that great on food to begin with - they try to straddle fancy and kid friendly and kind of fail at both.

That said, the biggest factor in food quality is the EC on board that ship. I will give an example, not on Disney, that clearly shows this.

There are two ships on Princess, the Island and Coral, that (galley wise) are EXACTLY the same in terms of design, equipment, etc. We sailed on them a short time apart. Same menus, same general food contracts I would assume. Different ECs and kitchen staff. One ship...Amazing. Looked forward to every meal. Other ship... Meh to bleh.

A well run kitchen can make institutional food look and taste great, a bad one can highlight its deficiencies.

And of course, Disney hasn't figure out weather control yet.

Not sure what to say...Our experience is that the food quality has been dropping for many years and is far worst than it was in 1998. We've seen some of our favorites removed from the menus. We know what is good and can usually find something that we like that is properly prepared....but it isn't as good as even 5 years ago. One hint--ask for something a little special' date=' like sauce on the side. That way, they have to plate up a special plate for you. Typically this means preparing it for you also. You don't get a plate that has been sitting under warming lights for 20 minutes.

We've done 2 other lines in the last 5 years and both had better food than DCL.[/quote']

Thats a great idea! It like my wife who always asks for fries with no salt at Wendy's. They are always fresh and hot.

Thats a great idea! It like my wife who always asks for fries with no salt at Wendy's. They are always fresh and hot.

Yep. I always order my food without something, learned that a long time ago! No one wants old fries or burger! But never thought to try it on a ship. Idk, I know they'd do it, just seems like a lot of extra work, then delays.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

It really doesn't cause a delay because you order it at the same time that you order your appetizer. This gives them sufficient time to prepare the meal to your specifications. More work....probably. But better quality food.

The food in Cabanas/Topsiders at night is really good because it is prepared when you order it. But we miss the MDR when we eat up there.

Idk, I know they'd do it, just seems like a lot of extra work, then delays.

I see no problem with causing extra work if the food being served to you is not of a reasonable quality. It will have an effect on service if more people start ordering their food without something or prepared differently in order to get food freshly prepared and cooked (within reason).

If DCL are trying to increase their profit margins by reducing CM's in the galley and ordering lower grade food, then the Guests should make a fuss and let them know why they are doing it, in person to the Servers, Head Server and also on the comment cards.

Disney are great at finding ways to save a buck or two here and there and see if anyone notices, so if you notice, let them know. Otherwise they will continue to buy cheaper and cheaper ingredients and lower quality cuts of meat.

You've paid a hell of a lot of money for your cruise, and if the food is not up to par, then tell them on the ship, and when you get home.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

In 2013 we did B2B Med cruises. On the first leg, our dinner was cold EVERY night. We sent it back a couple of times, but didn't really make a stink. We sort of put up with it. There were 4 in our party at that time and a server who normally worked Palo and was NOT happy at being in the MDR for that cruise.

For the second leg, we were being joined by the families of 2 of the people sitting with us on leg 1. We talked to the head of dining room, in part to be sure we could arrange a table for all of us and honestly, to ask for a better server...or at least one who cared. We explained what the problems had been on the first leg and he was somewhat appalled that we hadn't come to him sooner. We actually named a couple of servers we'd been happy with in the past, but said we'd be OK with anyone who could get us HOT food in a reasonable amount of time and meet the special needs of one of the group that would be joining us.

Second leg, large group, NO problems. The husband who joined us complained that the service was slow....his wife let him know that it was so much better than the first time that there wouldn't be a word said.

Moral--if there is a problem with the food in any way, tell the head server or head of dining room. They can fix it.

I totally agree with you Moki's mommy if the food is cold or over seasoned.

I wonder if the food supplier on the west coast that is supplying the Wonder is a new supplier?

It sounds like the food isn't up to the same standards as the east coast suppliers from the OP's comment.

But as you have said, the food quality has gradually declined over the years. Whether that is lower grade raw ingredients or fewer staff in the galleys prep'ing and cooking the food, it does sound like DCL need to know they have crossed the line in standards the average Guest should expect with paying DCL prices.

Unless they are told/complained at, they will continue to reduce quality in order to make a higher profit as would any large corporation and organization.

I guess the key word is complain, complain, complain if it is not up to standard!

ex techie

I wonder if the food supplier on the west coast that is supplying the Wonder is a new supplier?

It sounds like the food isn't up to the same standards as the east coast suppliers from the OP's comment.

But as you have said, the food quality has gradually declined over the years. Whether that is lower grade raw ingredients or fewer staff in the galleys prep'ing and cooking the food, it does sound like DCL need to know they have crossed the line in standards the average Guest should expect with paying DCL prices.

Unless they are told/complained at, they will continue to reduce quality in order to make a higher profit as would any large corporation and organization.

I guess the key word is complain, complain, complain if it is not up to standard!

ex techie

Agree! Voice your opinion. I used to let things like cold food slip but no more. I finally realized I am paying a lot and will demand a lot!

I'll modify that a little. Alert the dining staff to things they can fix. Cold food is certainly one, as is over seasoning (although that is subjective). Polite requests and alerts will get a lot better results than strident complaints in most cases, and recognize there is some things the on board crew cannot fix. Actual comment overheard on a prior cruise - "You should have a special kosher kitchen on board."....

ex techie

Quick Question

I have friends who are sailing on Disney in Alaska in a few weeks. They are mostly GF as choice. What is best way to deal with this - just talk to head waiter when they board, or should they contact special needs ahead of time?

The best way to deal with ANY special needs situation (food or otherwise) is to contact DCL in advance and have it noted on the reservation. This is particularly true in the area of food where DCL may load on additional supplies based on anticipated need.

Yes, they can handle a gluten free diet without advance warning, but it is easier and safer to notify DCL in advance. Then follow up by talking with the serving team at the first meal.

The best way to deal with ANY special needs situation (food or otherwise) is to contact DCL in advance and have it noted on the reservation. This is particularly true in the area of food where DCL may load on additional supplies based on anticipated need.

Yes' date=' they can handle a gluten free diet without advance warning, but it is easier and safer to notify DCL in advance. Then follow up by talking with the serving team at the first meal.[/quote']

Thanks. They are coming by tomorrow so I will let them know. I think they are flexible but I just wanted to pass on the info just in case. I think this is their first cruise :)

You say they are GF by CHOICE...that means nothing will happen to them if they ingest gluten....

If you REALLY need to be GF because of Celiac disease, then notify in advance....ingesting ANY gluten can make a celiac very ill!

I'll modify that a little. Alert the dining staff to things they can fix. Cold food is certainly one, as is over seasoning (although that is subjective). Polite requests and alerts will get a lot better results than strident complaints in most cases, and recognize there is some things the on board crew cannot fix. Actual comment overheard on a prior cruise - "You should have a special kosher kitchen on board."....

I agree there is no need to be rude, but if you are served poor cuts of meat that are chewy and grisly for example, ask for them to be sent back or for another meal and complain about it, politely.

The CM's can report that back to their line managers, and the line managers can report that back to shoreside.

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a good sign. My food on the Magic was good. Food on the nightmare was horrible and it took forever for it to show up. It was by far the worst service I've ever had on a cruise line and some of the worst service ever had at a restaurant I'm afraid the infection is spreading

This is not a good sign. My food on the Magic was good. Food on the nightmare was horrible and it took forever for it to show up. It was by far the worst service I've ever had on a cruise line and some of the worst service ever had at a restaurant I'm afraid the infection is spreading

We have almost always had good dining experiences, but it depends very much on your server. If he/she can take orders promptly when the dining room opens and get the orders in, the food quality is better than it is if you have a slow server and have to wait around. And if he is waiting for all the tables in his section to show up, protest! There is no need for you to wait for people at other tables who may or may not even come at all.

My best and worst experiences have been on the Magic. I'm totally convinced that it is a matter of the serving team.

We found MDR food on DCL to be ho-hum. Not terrible but not very good either. We just cruised the CCL Breeze, and thought it was much better. Buffets were probably comparable. Pizza was better on CCL. We didn't do any specialty restaurants on CCL so we can't compare to Palo which was excellent.

Having done RCL years ago, NCL and DCL recently... I will say the best food was RCL years ago, but not sure if that has gone downhill.

I have found that dining is not DCL's strongest suit. Overall, I found the main dining room food quality to be just slightly better than NCL, which isn't saying a whole lot. I do find the 2 adult-only restaurants to be FANTASTIC. The main dining rooms were definitely just banquet hall quality.

In 2013 we did B2B Med cruises. On the first leg' date=' our dinner was cold EVERY night. We sent it back a couple of times, but didn't really make a stink. We sort of put up with it. There were 4 in our party at that time and a server who normally worked Palo and was NOT happy at being in the MDR for that cruise.

For the second leg, we were being joined by the families of 2 of the people sitting with us on leg 1. We talked to the head of dining room, in part to be sure we could arrange a table for all of us and honestly, to ask for a better server...or at least one who cared. We explained what the problems had been on the first leg and he was somewhat appalled that we hadn't come to him sooner. We actually named a couple of servers we'd been happy with in the past, but said we'd be OK with anyone who could get us HOT food in a reasonable amount of time and meet the special needs of one of the group that would be joining us.

Second leg, large group, NO problems. The husband who joined us complained that the service was slow....his wife let him know that it was so much better than the first time that there wouldn't be a word said.

Moral--if there is a problem with the food in any way, tell the head server or head of dining room. They can fix it.[/quote']

OR they could do what the head server on the Dream did when we pointed out that his servers could not finish the first seating before it was time to do the 2nd. ... he shrugged. And then he never came near their station. So when he finally showed up for the 'tip' I shrugged back. He knew exactly why. I did tip Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. They were just not well trained and clueless. Disney should never have put them in that job.

(And no it wasn't special orders or drinks etc that messed them up. We weren't even allowed to order drinks. we got "water" and that was it. If you asked for something the assistant wrote it down and that was that...LOL! The tables were on time... they just didn't have the training to have a clue as to what they were doing!)