Cozumel or Progreso?

MG75

We will be going on our first ever cruise out of New Orleans and will port in Cozumel and Progreso. We would like to take the children to the beach to snorkel at one of the two stops. Is one place better than the other for this? We are not planning on doing any of the excursions but would like to spend sometime shopping at one of the ports. Probably the one we don't go to the beach at.

I am leaning toward Cozumel for the snorkeling trip. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which port would be best for what we are looking for.

I look forward to any and all input.

Thanks!!

Cozumel, hands down, no question.

It isn't a fair fight. Cozumel is in the Carribean; Progresso in the Gulf of Mexico.

The water and snorkeling quality in Cozumel are going to be heads and shoulders above that in Progresso.

I can't tell you how the shopping is in Progresso, but going to the beach in Cozumel, you'd still be able to shop some. But in Progresso, if you do want an excursion- might I suggest visiting Uxmal. It is fabulous.

I respectfully disagree about Cozumel. It's a tourist trap. Progreso is a delightful town with Chichen Itza and nice beaches close by. Far fewer people, far more relaxing.

Where did you snorkel in Progresso and where in Cozumel?

I definitely plan on site seeing in Progreso, but I think I am going to snorkel in Cozumel. Money Beach looks like a good place and is where I am leaning to at the moment.

Is there anyway to find out which port we will be docking at ahead of time? I believe I have read that there is three different ports in Cozumel.

Thanks again for all the help!!

I respectfully disagree about Cozumel. It's a tourist trap. Progreso is a delightful town with Chichen Itza and nice beaches close by. Far fewer people, far more relaxing.

They were asking about SNORKELING, not which is a better port. The snorkeling in Cozumel is well beyond what Progesso offers.

The small town, relatively harassment free feel of Progresso is wonder, as is access to Mayan ruins. The beaches are even nice, but the water and sea life isn't close to what the Carribean offers.

Cozumel for the snorkeling. Beaches and snorkeling are two different things. You need rocks or coral for good snorkeling. A sandy beach is next to dead in the snorkeling department. Playa Uvas, Playa Corona, Chankanaab Park and the Money Bar are places that we have tried. To get any better you need to take a boat trip out to a reef.

Progreso has a covered market near the bus stop where you are dropped off. You can buy everything from clothes to fish. If you want real shopping , walk several blocks into town and shop where the locals shop. It is a neat experience and the prices are lower than the tourist areas. The locals know where the good food is too.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend Chankanaab Park in Cozumel for snorkeling. It is a beautiful park, with some of the best snorkeling anywhere, as well as other things to do that are included in the admission price. If you go to their site online, you can usually find discount coupons for admission, as well as info about what the park has to offer. In Progreso, you can take the free shuttle bus into town to shop. There are also quite a few shops right on the pier beside the ship. Bear in mind that the pier at Progreso is very long, and the free shuttle is the best option if you want to go into town. I totally agree that the water at Cozumel is 100 times better than at Progreso!! You'll see!