Hampton Inn - Downtown Ft. Lauderdale

elycelynne

I just happened to be perusing the Hilton website (the one for members) and noticed that the price for this hotel was noticeably lower than many others for a specific date for a cruise I'm considering. So I was wondering what the area is like around there? Is there somewhere nearby where I can pick up a 12-pack of pop, and are there any decent restaurants within walking distance (not fine dining, but hopefully a step up from fast food)?

I believe that's the one in Brickell on SW 12th. Nice area, plenty of places to eat within walking distance and nearby.

NO, the OP is talking about Ft Lauderdale, NOT Miami...

OP, you want to avoid that area. DT Ft Lauderdale is not very nice, not really safe and you're not near the area where all the "stuff" is...hence the lower price...

I am sure locals will chime in but you don't want to stay there...

Actually, most of downtown Ft Lauderdale is very nice ,especially Las Olas Blvd. People are moving downtown in droves. Unfortunately, the Hampton is on a block that is very quiet after business hours and it is close to the part of the city that has higher crime. So it's fine to stay there but take a taxi or Uber the few blocks to the nicer area if you are out after dark.

Actually, most of downtown Ft Lauderdale is very nice ,especially Las Olas Blvd. People are moving downtown in droves. Unfortunately, the Hampton is on a block that is very quiet after business hours and it is close to the part of the city that has higher crime. So it's fine to stay there but take a taxi or Uber the few blocks to the nicer area if you are out after dark.

Thanks for clarifying....why did I think this was close to the bus station, and sort of rough, or has my mind gone poof....or is it just not as, shall we say, sketchy as I rememver??

Thanks for clarifying....why did I think this was close to the bus station, and sort of rough, or has my mind gone poof....or is it just not as, shall we say, sketchy as I rememver??

Yes, it's a few blocks from the main bus terminal, and a few blocks from Greyhound. It's VERY close to a rough area. But it's also in the middle of the city hall and business district, and upscale apt buildings are being built all over that area. It's only about 2 blocks to Las Olas. The main problem is just that that area is not busy at night, and too close to a rough area, so it's too scary IMO, and I know people who have been mugged close to there.

If the price is right book it

Its a 3 min cab ride to Los Alos Blvd where dining is a plenty

Rooms were clean, not fancy

Staff was good

Like people say its not a place to be walking the streets after dark, but we never do that in a strange city anyways