Cafe al bacio coffees

denatravels

Wondering if the alcoholic coffee drinks are included in the classic package that's included as a free booking perk; or do I need to upgrade to the premium package?

I don't recall the pricing of adult (alcoholic) coffee beverages from my last cruise (NOV 2014), but as long as the "brand" of alcohol is part of the covered offerings in the Classic Alcohol package and the cost is at/below the cap in the Classic package, then you should be fine. If the cost is more than the cap, then you have to cover the full cost of the beverage.

Edited by vulcan1971

On my last cruise they were not included. You would have to order your coffee, and then ~5 minutes later ask for a shot of whatever you wanted to add. Yes it's silly but that's how it worked.

it varies by ship/cruise/server and perhaps the relative humidity in Texas. There is no predictable consistency.

Remember that you can upgrade to the premium package on-board...you don't have to buy it in advance. Why not wait and see what the policy is on your cruise.

On my last cruise they were not included. You would have to order your coffee, and then ~5 minutes later ask for a shot of whatever you wanted to add. Yes it's silly but that's how it worked.

Would they have been included in the premium package, or nothing? Do you know?

Would they have been included in the premium package, or nothing? Do you know?

The premium package included the alcoholic coffees. I don't know what would happen if you tried to order a specific brand of liquor in terms of price, but then again the Cafe probably only stocked a few specific bottles.

I'm sailing with Celebrity for the first time next January and am reading these threads avidly to have an overall feel for what to expect. One thing that comes up when discussing the drinks packages is this issue of ordering one drink and having to wait a time for another. It seems a bit ludicrous to me as I've never experienced this with MSC which I've been with for most cruises.

I don't drink coffee. I would get a hot chocolate for elevenses in the coffee shop and get a shot of Baileys on the side - two drinks together - and add the Baileys to the chocolate. I could get one drink combining the two but you only get 1cl added as opposed to 4cl with a shot. The point is I can order the two. Also, in the evenings I could order a double Baileys (or anything for that matter!) with a drinks package. In fact, the bartenders or servers often encouraged it. I'm getting the impression that you can't do that with a drinks package on Celebrity.

Oh, bytheway, the drinks packages are way cheaper on MSC - the premium package is cheaper than the classic package on X and covers all the top-shelf brands and ALL drinks on the bar menus.

I'm sailing with Celebrity for the first time next January and am reading these threads avidly to have an overall feel for what to expect. One thing that comes up when discussing the drinks packages is this issue of ordering one drink and having to wait a time for another. It seems a bit ludicrous to me as I've never experienced this with MSC which I've been with for most cruises.

I don't drink coffee. I would get a hot chocolate for elevenses in the coffee shop and get a shot of Baileys on the side - two drinks together - and add the Baileys to the chocolate. I could get one drink combining the two but you only get 1cl added as opposed to 4cl with a shot. The point is I can order the two. Also, in the evenings I could order a double Baileys (or anything for that matter!) with a drinks package. In fact, the bartenders or servers often encouraged it. I'm getting the impression that you can't do that with a drinks package on Celebrity.

Oh, bytheway, the drinks packages are way cheaper on MSC - the premium package is cheaper than the classic package on X and covers all the top-shelf brands and ALL drinks on the bar menus.

Maybe the MSC package is cheaper! I can tell you it's not that much cheaper when you are in the Caribbean. $45 a day plus grats. However what I can tell you is there is no comparison between celebrity and MSC. From the food to the shows celebrity wins hands down. MSC ships have the wow factor, and the staff were amazing, food, customer relations and the shows are very poor IMHO.

It can get worse. On RCCL you don't get even coffee drinks with their $49 drink package. The bean counters only allow drink packages as long as they make a certain amount of profit for the company, and the deck is stacked with a combination of a la carte prices and package restrictions.

And to put you at ease a bit, the bartenders and baristas have some leeway. If you are ordering the alcohol and the coffee separately, after a while they might be willing to give them to you at the same time.

Classic package includes all coffee drinks. I tried several. Favorite is Aspen. French Kiss is nice. My spouse likes IGloo vanilla drinks.

Yes, on our Feb Eclipse cruise we would get a steamed milk with a shot of amaretto or kahlua at the end of an evening. I had the Premium pkg but my DH only had the classic. No issues and we did it a number of times.

We got horrible service at Cafe del Bacio! I asked for a menu, which took forever for her to find. Then before I had a chance to finish reading, only a few seconds, she started waiting on people behind me.

She didn't know if we had a drink package or planned to charge or account, because we never got that far.

We left and never went back.

We got horrible service at Cafe del Bacio! I asked for a menu, which took forever for her to find. Then before I had a chance to finish reading, only a few seconds, she started waiting on people behind me.

She didn't know if we had a drink package or planned to charge or account, because we never got that far.

We left and never went back.

I actually wouldn't consider that horrible service.

If you're in a cafe lineup and I'm the person behind you, I would hope you'd step to the side while you consider the menu. And it's certainly what I do if I wanted to read the menu before ordering.

Edited by CanadianDee

I actually wouldn't consider that horrible service.

If you're in a cafe lineup and I'm the person behind you, I would hope you'd step to the side while you consider the menu. And it's certainly what I do if I wanted to read the menu before ordering.

We have always had exemplary service in Bacios. It is our favourite place to visit and usually do so at least once a day if not more.

Love Cafe Bacio.

Pat

I didn't mind them waiting on others while I read the menu, but she took several orders and ignored me after I was ready to order.

They should have had the menu posted on the wall. That way, I could have read the menu while waiting in line.

Edited by knittinggirl

Maybe the MSC package is cheaper! I can tell you it's not that much cheaper when you are in the Caribbean. $45 a day plus grats. However what I can tell you is there is no comparison between celebrity and MSC. From the food to the shows celebrity wins hands down. MSC ships have the wow factor, and the staff were amazing, food, customer relations and the shows are very poor IMHO.

Thank you for your response, Tercar.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing Celebrity especially if it's going to be a better experience than MSC, which I get the impression, it is. I've been in Yacht Club on MSC and have booked a Sky Suite on Millennium for comparison. I'm not a 'foody' so have reservations about eating in Luminae as the chef's efforts would be wasted on me! A nice piece of steak or chicken and some nice desserts and I'll be happy. I would agree that food on MSC isn't their main selling point. One of my 'concerns' re X is they seem to be very sticky where ordering drinks is concerned. On MSC, once the servers see that you and your companions have drink packages, they'll allow you to order a round of drinks on the one card. There's no having to use individual cards and no having to wait for 5 minutes in between orders. I often order 'doubles' so I don't have to order too frequently. I get the impression you can't do that on X. TBH, it's not a big deal, it's more a curiosity about what to expect. It's part of the anticipation of experiencing something different - going with MSC I know exactly what to expect at this stage so I really need a change and I believe X to fit the bill (my TA reckons X would be a really good fit for me, too! :rolleyes: )

It can get worse. On RCCL you don't get even coffee drinks with their $49 drink package. The bean counters only allow drink packages as long as they make a certain amount of profit for the company, and the deck is stacked with a combination of a la carte prices and package restrictions.

And to put you at ease a bit, the bartenders and baristas have some leeway. If you are ordering the alcohol and the coffee separately, after a while they might be willing to give them to you at the same time.

I know some people get flamed on these boards for what can be perceived as petty little gripes. But it can often be the little things that cause ire for just that reason. It just seems rather silly that, if you have a drinks package, does it matter if you order one drink or ten drinks at the same time as long as it's only for you? Good to know that the bartenders have a little leeway. I've been following the threads on X very closely to get a sense of what to expect. Forewarned is forearmed and, once you know how things are done and you're prepared, it's then not an issue. I'm expecting to find quite a few differences between X and MSC - that's the reason for changing companies at the end of the day :D

We have always had exemplary service in Bacios. It is our favourite place to visit and usually do so at least once a day if not more.

Love Cafe Bacio.

Pat

I visited Café Al Bacio every morning, and several times later in the day as well. Service was always impeccable, and with a smile.

We were able to get any coffee drinks - with or without alcohol - whenever we wanted them with the classic package.

However, one afternoon when I went to get an Aspen coffee, I was initially told by a gentleman behind the counter that alcoholic coffees weren't included in the classic package. One of the women making coffee behind him corrected him and told him ALL coffees were included in the classic package.

So if you are at Café Al Bacio, and someone tells you that alcoholic coffees are not included, I would ask to speak to a manager.

Oh, and their desserts are pretty awesome (for the most part) - and free to anyone - with or without a drink package :)

We also had fabulous service at Il Baccio. SO much so that we have booked the same stateroom on the hump on Deck 6 for our next cruise. Just a quick trip down the stairs and back up to our fabulous balcony with a delicious coffee in hand. It was one of our favorite things about our Silhouette cruise. Simple pleasures :)

Edited by dznymom