Getaway May 23, Solo in a studio review

Love your review! Hope you have another trip on her so you can try the Lobster Roll at Ocean Blues walk up window as it was really good!

Going back on this ship in August and now you have given me more things to look forward to :D

Thanks for the pictures and information about the metrorail. We will be staying at the same hotel so glad to hear it was easy to get there.

And an even bigger thanks for mentioning the cabbie taking you thru the tunnel. Sounds like we will have to be careful like we do when we visit your city and tell the driver "no tunnel". ;)

I'm enjoying your report and looking forward to more.

Love your review! Hope you have another trip on her so you can try the Lobster Roll at Ocean Blues walk up window as it was really good!

Going back on this ship in August and now you have given me more things to look forward to :D

Oh, yeah, I plan to go back on her at some point. Have a great time!

Thanks for the pictures and information about the metrorail. We will be staying at the same hotel so glad to hear it was easy to get there.

And an even bigger thanks for mentioning the cabbie taking you thru the tunnel. Sounds like we will have to be careful like we do when we visit your city and tell the driver "no tunnel". ;)

I'm enjoying your report and looking forward to more.

It was really easy, nice to have this as another option. Yep, know about the long hauling here I thought about that too. ;)

This is enjoyable to read. The pictures are just great.

Thank you!

Hey coffegoddess, great review, cruise was great. Thanks again for hosting the M&G and slot pull. Only time I broke even :) Debbie

No problem, it was great meeting you!

One thing I forgot in my ship's ramblings, the Laundry Deal. The flyer came with the dailies for Tuesday on Monday night. So I stuffed a bag and had it waiting on Tuesday morning. Last time I did it it came back on the night they said but this time it was actually early and showed up on Wednesday afternoon.

18321954309_2587187c65.jpg

Clean clothes in a little basket for me to pack or wear again.

18510961511_7591c19455.jpg

Now on to the ports! Our first port was St. Thomas on Tuesday and it was the second time I had been there. The first time I had a sunburn so I just spent the time walking around the port shopping are and going up to Paradise Point. This time I had signed up for an island tour with Godfry's which included shopping and beach time. He had three departure times so I went with the 10am that would give me an hour downtown. The driver was prompt and got me ant the three others who had chosen that time on the open air bus by 10am. We took the short drive to town with the driver telling us a little about the town's history.

I have to say that the downtown main street was disappointing in that it had the same tired port shops as any other port town. How many Diamonds International stores do you really need? Thankfully there was more variety down the little side streets. There's a little information booth on the road by the bay that will give you maps of downtown an answer any questions. I asked for good coffee and free wifi and she sent me to Pasta Go Go and she didn't steer me wrong.

l.jpg

I enjoyed my iced Americano and one of their cookies while checking with Facebook and back home. After that I took a walk through the little alleys and then winding up my time at counter service restaurant for a iced tea.

18509946331_5b92be6c77.jpg

18320188408_3ba550d494.jpg

o.jpg

Next everyone from the three pick-up times met at the park and we all piled into the bus to head up to the Mountain Top. On the way there the driver gave us more island history and stopped at a little overlook at this restaurant to point out some of the island sites like Bluebeard's castle, Blackbeard's castle and others. The Mountain Top was basically a big tourist trap with clothes and mugs and other junk along with a bar at the back and place to look out over the northern part of the island. We had 10 minutes to get a free banana daiquiri in a plastic cup, take some pictures, and use the restroom and then head out.

Magens Bay from the Mountain Top

18504093692_92716ec6b4.jpg

We then headed to the Botanical Gardens at the Great House where we had another great view from their look-out, rum punch, and some more history of the islands we could see from that vantage. It was basically the same view as from the Mountain Top but a little closer. The gardens were really beautiful but after listening to the guide we didn't have long to look around and then it was off to the beach.

18505996582_7d6b3bd189.jpg

18506094792_851fe29b8b.jpg

18322427928_9b8c771c7b.jpg

17887262054_6be29afa8d.jpg

18483679346_d8b258b31a.jpg

Everyone who was going to the beach agreed on Coki for our two hours of beach time. So we headed on down the mountain and towards the west side of the island. Man, those roads; I was glad I wasn't driving. So many twists and turns and the narrowness. We had drivers behind us beeping several times as our driver would slow down to point out things. We had one turn where we were coming down and doing a sharp left and the back of the bus scraped along the road. Looking back I could see many gouges in the asphalt from other vehicles.

Coki beach was really crowded which I really wasn't expecting for some reason. The driver called a guy over from one of the beach shacks that rents chairs and stuff and let us know what time to be back in the parking lot to go. I got a locker to throw my stuff in and then walked a bit to find a shady area I could throw down my towel. I had a waterproof cover for my phone and a little waterproof bag for my cash and cards that I kept on when I swam so that I didn't leave anything at the towel. It may have been crowded but the water was so nice and clear!

18322094448_9c4a506c59.jpg

18511530531_b52dbf7013.jpg

After swimming I went in search of some lunch and a drink at one of the beach shacks and found Off the Grid. I had a tasty lamb sandwich and glass of sangria. Then the main bartender came in and asked if I liked Tequila and if I'd trust him to make up a drink. Ok! Refills (they give you a mason jar with a cozy as a souvenir) we're only 8 bucks so why not? He made up this great drink of tequila, lime, simple syrup and fresh watermelon that would stand up to any of the craft cocktail bars here in Vegas. He also made up drinks for a group of ladies who just told him to make it sweet and good. For my last drink he asked what my favorite liquor was and made me up one of the best gin cocktails I have ever had. So if you want great drinks at Coki beach ask for Ethan at the Off the Grid.

Everyone was back on time to the bus and the driver took us back to the ship, dropping some of us off in the shopping area in the port. We were back by 4:00 and it had been a fun time.

18481713326_d388ddd20b.jpg

Now that was the night of the Chef's Table so you can see why I wasn't up for much wine after my three strong drinks at the beach.

Next port was Tortola which I had never been to before. I was actually up early and wound up being the first person off the ship once they let us go. It was a bit surreal to walk along the pier with no other passengers there.

Empty pier and people still setting up.

18322082310_64416d62d6.jpg

Selfie with the ship mermaid.

18322067170_e18b622b0b.jpg

While the actual pier was done, the shops area was still being worked on with only a couple of shops having actually opened. You still had to walk along a path past construction and fences to get out to where you could take a taxi or a tour.

18505382282_4488dcdd37.jpg

More construction at the pier shops. The concrete walkway took you around the construction and out to the transportation area.

18321929458_d09d2e9049.jpg

I had decided on a ship's tour of the Virgin Gorda Baths and Snorkel since they brought the boat up close to the beach and then you snorkeled in from the boat. There were two tour times and I had the 8am one with the second leaving at 11am. The ship was on time and we left about 8:15 after everyone was on board. We got our flippers while the boat was traveling so that everyone had a pair by the time we reached the Baths. I am not good at visual distances unless I have a reference so I can't tell you how far we were moored off the beach but it was a bit of a swim in.

18323151400_fbc2a4abf7.jpg

We all were to swim in to the beach and a crew member would then take us through the Baths trail to Devil's Bay beach where we would have more swim and snorkel time. We all had to wear the florescent vests so that they didn't lose us.

Everyone swimming to the beach. I have that blurred spot in all the pictures I had my phone in the cover.

18323081678_1a5f4fed4c.jpg

17890143773_490744b39d.jpg

The beach we landed on actually had some shacks with shops on it and what looked like a little concession stand. We didn't stay there long, as soon as everyone was there the guide took us to the entry to the Baths trail and then told us to go in. I was a little surprised they didn't guide us through but I guess he wanted to make sure everyone went in. It was really gorgeous but I wish I would have been alone and could have spent a little time taking pictures.

18512786831_360d6064f9.jpg

18510882445_4b2c6e1d35.jpg

Now I had watched a Youtube video someone had taken with their go-pro of the walk so I had a good idea of what to expect. There were a couple of people who didn't know about this part though and were a little surprised at the stairs and minor rock climbing. They got through it like champs though and we all came out at Devil's Bay.

18484365606_33e1acf4fc.jpg

The beach was absolutely gorgeous with all the huge boulders flanking it. There wer also several little caves and pools that you could explore and the water was crystal.

18323040278_7a7fa7aec8.jpg

18484377456_3f4c8be64f.jpg

Unfortunately with the bright sun and the plastic cover on my phone I couldn't tell if I was getting any of the underwater shots I was taking. turns out I wasn't. After my phone battery died I spent the time swimming and snorkeling until I saw people heading to the ship which they had moved form the previous beach to here. It was a shorter swim back to the boat and soon most everyone was on board and the crew was rounding up the stragglers. They took us back giving a little tour and history of the islands around Tortola and were back a little before noon. After lunch, I briefly thought about going out again but decided to spend the rest of the day in the spa.

We had another sea then we stopped in Nassau on Friday. This was my second time in Nassau and I figured I'd get off the ship and walk around a bit, maybe get some drinks before I went back. I walked up to Greycliff Hotel and then back down to the waterfront where I stopped at Lukku Kairi for a Sky juice and a conch salad. Both were very good, along with the view.

17890017873_e274cba4fc.jpg

18578111861_49820b013d.jpg

I also enjoyed a tasting flight at Pirate Republic Brewing. Unfortunately the service there was awful so I didn't get a chance to buy any of their beers to take home. They were good, too!

18388379210_c6f90e9fe3.jpg

And that about wraps it up for ports. I went back to the ship and enjoyed some spa time along with hitting the waterslides and then finished packing. I did early walk-off and was the second one off with Tim from our Meet & Greet being the first. We got a cab to the airport and once more the cabbie was a little shady.

I was going to pay with my card since I didn't have enough cash for my share of the $27 fare and tip but when I told the cabbie he asked for cash because it was "better for him". I figured if he was ok with not as much tip that was fine and then the Taxi authority guy reached into the cab and tapped the credit card swiper in the back asking "why isn't this on?". He asked where we were coming from and when we said the port he said they always needed to turn the meter on. Once the cabbie turned it on and put the port in the TA guy asked me to go through and pick cash or credit and I did cash. Low and behold you get a $2 credit for paying in cash. Sneaky cabbie! Of course the TA guy warned him that it was $250 fine the next time he caught him without the meter on. So, one more thing to watch out for when taking a taxi.

And that concludes my trip report for the 23rd of May sailing on the NCL Getaway.

Really enjoying your review! This part makes me angry though. Under no circumstances should the 18 and over rule be ignored in Vibe. It's one of the few places on the ship to escape kids, and they pretty much have run of the rest of the ship (except Spice H20 during certain hours). Also you are paying a premium to have a kid-free environment in Vibe. I would have raised you know what!

Ug, I know it was just so wrong. I know they want everyone to have a good time but sometimes you just have to say "no" because of the rules.

Those cabbies in Miami are something else. Once we were going back to the airport and the cabbie asked for the $2 for some port fee. So we handed him the cash. Then my friend happened to be reading the sticker on her window and it clearly states that the port fee is included in our cab fare! So when the cabbie told us the price when he dropped us at the terminal, we told him he got his $2 tip already.

Gosh I can't believe they are like that there! At least in Chicago they are more on the up and up.

Those cabbies in Miami are something else. Once we were going back to the airport and the cabbie asked for the $2 for some port fee. So we handed him the cash. Then my friend happened to be reading the sticker on her window and it clearly states that the port fee is included in our cab fare! So when the cabbie told us the price when he dropped us at the terminal, we told him he got his $2 tip already.

Gosh I can't believe they are like that there! At least in Chicago they are more on the up and up.

Yeah, one of the reasons I try to avoid taxis whenever I can. As another poster alluded to, we have a long haul issue here in Las Vegas with the cabbies. There are two ways to get out of the airport here, one is by Paradise road that is the shorter way but sometimes takes longer due to traffic. The other is the express way which goes the opposite way and through a tunnel under the runways and is further (thus more expensive) but sometimes faster. Cabbies are supposed to ask if you want to go the tunnel way or the roadway when you say where you are going but a lot of them just take you through the tunnel for that extra money. Of course if they happen to be the one the the taxi authority stops and asks you if you approved the long way and you say no, then they are fined.

Doesn't stop them from doing it, though.

I forgot to add one thing to the miscellaneous ship ramblings! I only loaded two books on my tablet and ran out of those pretty quickly so I figured I'd stop at the library and see what they may have available. To be honest I was not expecting much, maybe a beat up paper back bestseller from two years back. However, I was pleasantly surprised by that they had quite a lot of books and a decent variety of both fiction and non-fiction. You could even check out books to read around the ship.