Viking Russian Risk Free Policy - Fraud or Fact?

CMAatSea

I recently booked a 2016 Viking River Cruise in Russia. The Viking Brochure claims a "Risk Free" Policy for Russian Cruises. BUT the contract and itinerary Viking Emailed had the normal cancellation policy - Bait and switch?

I called Viking and they promised the moon, but would not amend my travel documents to reflect a risk free policy. They said they had an "internal" document, but they could not send it too me. The supervisor of the first rep refused to put in an Email that she had the legal authority to commit to the policy she was going to paraphrase in an Email to me.

I've cruised with Viking several times and been very happy. I can't believe a normally quality company like Viking is not being explicit in their formal documents about the promises they are making. This is highly unprofessional and clearly bordering on unethical.

What risk were you assuming they were talking about? Did they mention something about you not getting satisfaction and they would give you your money back? In general terms "risk free" sounds like advertising fluff. Something like "we will see that you are not harmed" or "you can trust us not to leave you stranded in the middle of Russia" could be implied. Normally you cannot base claims on statements in advertising when there is a contract that you have agreed to in place. Those pictures that you see in the video are not always the way it really will be. I recently got a advertisement from Vantage about their river cruises in France. The whole thing talked about France with many wonderful pictures plus one unidentified picture of Igauzu Falls. Yes, they do land trips that include Argentina and Brazil but they did not mention that in their flyer for France. If I were naive I might have thought that France had a massive water falls. The point is: be skeptical of advertising.