Last day on the Independence - Good, Bad and Strange

I was there in 2012 & there was a ferry then as well, it goes to Columbus Cove. But since the OP said barefoot beach, it wasn't sure that would have helped. Can you get to barefoot from Columbus without going through the vendors?

I don't think you can walk without going through the vendors. However, if you are a good swimmer ...;)

I was there in 2012 & there was a ferry then as well, it goes to Columbus Cove. But since the OP said barefoot beach, it wasn't sure that would have helped. Can you get to barefoot from Columbus without going through the vendors?

The small shuttle/tram will take you. As far as I know the "small" one is the only one that goes up and down the hill. Did that last week.

I know that I already mentioned this, but we walked to Barefoot Beach and did not pass through the market. I'm not sure if it was said earlier, but Barefoot Beach is the one reserved for suite guests. This may have added some confusion in getting to it.

labadeelinkmap2.jpg0

I had the name of the beach wrong. I apologize for my error. Some of the comments in here started getting me confused and I went looking for an online map of the RCCL area. We went to Columbus Cove based on this map. Directly above Columbus cove is the shopping area we issues with.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

I know that I already mentioned this, but we walked to Barefoot Beach and did not pass through the market. I'm not sure if it was said earlier, but Barefoot Beach is the one reserved for suite guests. This may have added some confusion in getting to it.

That makes sense since Barefoot Beach is not as far as the market area. However, I believe one would have to go through the market area if they wanted to go to Columbus Cove.

I have never seen a ferry except to take the crew to the crew beach. Also, you do not have to go up the hill into the market to get to Columbus Cove. The road that goes to barefoot beach, then goes to Nellies and then to Columbus Cove. Just hug the right side of the road towards the end as a few vendors will be on the left trying to lure you but this is still all outside of the straw market.

After reading all the comments, I have zero desire to visit Labadee.

It's actually beyond gorgeous and laid back. Just take the ride to a far beach and don't go to the straw market and you'll have a fantastic day....

I've been to Labadee several times, and yes, the vendors are aggressive and annoying. I sincerely doubt any harm was meant toward the children in OP's post, however. The vendors probably felt this was a canny strategy to make the parents pay for a souvenir that had been personalized. It's a terrible strategy, as we can see, and one that unfortunately also creates a terrible overall impression of Haitians and their culture. Not what that desperate country needs.

First: You don't have to buy anything you don't want to buy, ever. Say, "No," and walk away. Don't explain or get into a conversation about it. No. That's all. The guy, of course, hopes your children will argue with you, and want you to buy the trinket that has their name on it. But if they do, you know how to say NO to your children too, correct?

Second: Don't even go near that straw market if you don't intend to buy anything. By walking into the place, you are signalling you can be sold something. Now they just have to figure out what, and how to sell you. Don't go there for sightseeing, there's nothing to see.

Third: You can get to Columbus Cove by taking the little tram, as another poster said. You can also walk without too much bother, but stay to the right and take the lower path, where there are only a few vendors. Do not take the left-hand route that gets you up some stairs and into a nest of dozens of hawkers. Walk firmly and do not look at any of the goods displayed - if you look, the vendors will think you can be persuaded to buy, and they'll try.

Fourth: I know it's very upsetting to think the children were touched. But I honestly believe Haitians are not so alarmed about touching on the hands, arms and shoulders, and they don't see it as a sexual threat, or understand that many North Americans do see it that way. They kept trying to hold my twenty-something daughter's hand or put an arm around her shoulders. She didn't like it, and I told them sternly, "No! Don't touch." They stopped. But honestly, I felt a bit bad about it. It's a very big cultural difference, and one they probably don't understand.

And finally: I do think RCI should intervene. While I know they pay Haiti for the use of this property and also contribute to that country in other ways, that's not enough. They need to do compulsory training of the vendors, in French, and explain that some behaviour is unacceptable and won't be tolerated by RCI. Then they need to monitor the vendors, and if some don't comply, bounce them. Being a vendor in that location, with thousands of tourists, is a privilege. For every vendor that won't behave, guaranteed there are ten more who would be happy for the opportunity.

After reading all the comments, I have zero desire to visit Labadee.

I've looked at the maps of Labadee and read about it and it sounds like an overpriced trap. I suspect we will just stay on the boat, I don't have much interest in renting beach floats for $20 that are sold here for $10.

I've looked at the maps of Labadee and read about it and it sounds like an overpriced trap. I suspect we will just stay on the boat, I don't have much interest in renting beach floats for $20 that are sold here for $10.

You can easily enjoy Labadee without spending a penny. You don't need floats to enjoy the beach.

Labadee is what you make of it. It's an excellent stop if you would enjoy a relaxing beach day.

And it is somewhat less than a excellent stop if you want anything other than a day at the beach. I try my best to avoid itineraries with Labadee on them unless it is a longer than 7 day cruise. I view Labadee as a trade off for a longer cruise.

I've been to Labadee several times, and yes, the vendors are aggressive and annoying. I sincerely doubt any harm was meant toward the children in OP's post, however. The vendors probably felt this was a canny strategy to make the parents pay for a souvenir that had been personalized. It's a terrible strategy, as we can see, and one that unfortunately also creates a terrible overall impression of Haitians and their culture. Not what that desperate country needs.

First: You don't have to buy anything you don't want to buy, ever. Say, "No," and walk away. Don't explain or get into a conversation about it. No. That's all. The guy, of course, hopes your children will argue with you, and want you to buy the trinket that has their name on it. But if they do, you know how to say NO to your children too, correct?

Second: Don't even go near that straw market if you don't intend to buy anything. By walking into the place, you are signalling you can be sold something. Now they just have to figure out what, and how to sell you. Don't go there for sightseeing, there's nothing to see.

Third: You can get to Columbus Cove by taking the little tram, as another poster said. You can also walk without too much bother, but stay to the right and take the lower path, where there are only a few vendors. Do not take the left-hand route that gets you up some stairs and into a nest of dozens of hawkers. Walk firmly and do not look at any of the goods displayed - if you look, the vendors will think you can be persuaded to buy, and they'll try.

Fourth: I know it's very upsetting to think the children were touched. But I honestly believe Haitians are not so alarmed about touching on the hands, arms and shoulders, and they don't see it as a sexual threat, or understand that many North Americans do see it that way. They kept trying to hold my twenty-something daughter's hand or put an arm around her shoulders. She didn't like it, and I told them sternly, "No! Don't touch." They stopped. But honestly, I felt a bit bad about it. It's a very big cultural difference, and one they probably don't understand.

And finally: I do think RCI should intervene. While I know they pay Haiti for the use of this property and also contribute to that country in other ways, that's not enough. They need to do compulsory training of the vendors, in French, and explain that some behaviour is unacceptable and won't be tolerated by RCI. Then they need to monitor the vendors, and if some don't comply, bounce them. Being a vendor in that location, with thousands of tourists, is a privilege. For every vendor that won't behave, guaranteed there are ten more who would be happy for the opportunity.

Very well said! Great beach stop - no need to rent/buy anything, nor pay for jet skis, zip lines, etc., or shop.

I have to say that I wasn't looking forward to Labadee as I am not really a "beach" person. However I did rent a floating beach mat and had a ball floating around the ocean. We also got to the beach early and got a great spot for a lounger. Had the BBQ lunch and went to the building that has a bunch of vendors in it. Bought a bunch of stuff as there was no high pressure sales going on. After that I walked to the straw market but after seeing how aggressive they were I turned around and went back to my lounger.

Like a previous poster said just don't go to the straw market. The building has numerous vendors if you want to buy something so just shop there.

Update from my email to Michael Bayley

I sent an email to Michael Bayley several days ago detailing my experience on Labadee. In addition, I linked this thread in my email and encouraged them to read the stories that others on here have shared with their own issues with the vendors on Labadee. I never received a written response back, but last night I received a phone call from "Merrel" in Michael Bayley's office asking me to call her back to discuss the email. We played phone tag today, and then finally visited for about 10 minutes shortly ago. Here is a quick recap of what she said:

1. My email was actually read by Michael Bayley himself. He then personally forwarded the email to several of the most senior people in the company and said this is "unacceptable". She said this email has since been passed around extensively the last few days. She is being cc'd on the responses on it and assured me my email is being taken very seriously and that action will result from it being brought to their attention.

2. Michael Bayley happened to be visiting Labadee the very day he received my email. He visited with the "head of the island" about it that day in person.

3. Merrel and I then discussed the culture differences with Haitians. As a few others in this thread brought up, grabbing people by the hand and leading them places is common from vendors in Haiti, Jamaica and other countries. However, Merrel said they are not supposed to use this technique on Labadee and that this is clearly not being followed by the vendors.

4. The vendors of Labadee have also been instructed to not carve the names of any children on any item without the express permission of a parent or guardian who is with the child. Again, this is also not being followed she said based on my situation and others in this thread.

5. I brought up the manager of the shore excursion desk and how he completely blew off my situation when it was brought to his attention. She made no comment at all when this was brought up to her on the phone and the subject was changed. Not exactly sure what that means. I kind of wonder if he might be in a bit of trouble over how he handled it, but this is just a guess.

So that is a quick recap. I am not sure what actual changes will take place, but I do feel that this is being taken seriously by RCCL. I appreciated the phone call and when the call ended I did feel that RCCL was going to implement some type of new rules/changes/training/policies/security etc within the market. What exactly will change I have no idea though. Perhaps those that visit the market in the weeks ahead will see a difference and hopefully have a different experience than I did. This will be my last reply in this thread. I am satisfied with the resolution I received. I did want to share the phone call information for those interested though.

Update from my email to Michael Bayley

I sent an email to Michael Bayley several days ago detailing my experience on Labadee. In addition, I linked this thread in my email and encouraged them to read the stories that others on here have shared with their own issues with the vendors on Labadee. I never received a written response back, but last night I received a phone call from "Merrel" in Michael Bayley's office asking me to call her back to discuss the email. We played phone tag today, and then finally visited for about 10 minutes shortly ago. Here is a quick recap of what she said:

1. My email was actually read by Michael Bayley himself. He then personally forwarded the email to several of the most senior people in the company and said this is "unacceptable". She said this email has since been passed around extensively the last few days. She is being cc'd on the responses on it and assured me my email is being taken very seriously and that action will result from it being brought to their attention.

2. Michael Bayley happened to be visiting Labadee the very day he received my email. He visited with the "head of the island" about it that day in person.

3. Merrel and I then discussed the culture differences with Haitians. As a few others in this thread brought up, grabbing people by the hand and leading them places is common from vendors in Haiti, Jamaica and other countries. However, Merrel said they are not supposed to use this technique on Labadee and that this is clearly not being followed by the vendors.

4. The vendors of Labadee have also been instructed to not carve the names of any children on any item without the express permission of a parent or guardian who is with the child. Again, this is also not being followed she said based on my situation and others in this thread.

5. I brought up the manager of the shore excursion desk and how he completely blew off my situation when it was brought to his attention. She made no comment at all when this was brought up to her on the phone and the subject was changed. Not exactly sure what that means. I kind of wonder if he might be in a bit of trouble over how he handled it, but this is just a guess.

So that is a quick recap. I am not sure what actual changes will take place, but I do feel that this is being taken seriously by RCCL. I appreciated the phone call and when the call ended I did feel that RCCL was going to implement some type of new rules/changes/training/policies/security etc within the market. What exactly will change I have no idea though. Perhaps those that visit the market in the weeks ahead will see a difference and hopefully have a different experience than I did. This will be my last reply in this thread. I am satisfied with the resolution I received. I did want to share the phone call information for those interested though.

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully changes will be made.

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully changes will be made.

I hope so, too, for their sake. They really shoot themselves in the foot by being so aggressive. They would make so much more money if they could refrain from such behaviour.

We want to put money into the local economy, but not by being mugged.

You are correct its a long ways away. However, if you get all the way through the straw market there is a beach called Barefoot Beach with no rocks and fine sand. It is less crowded than other beaches and is the one that people suggested to me to visit when on the Labadee forums. To get to this beach though, you either have to go down the main road through the entire straw market or take the path leading up and down a fairly steep hill that clips part of the straw market. Getting to barefoot beach without going through at least some part of the market is unavoidable unless you swim to get there or there is some other route I am unaware of.

:what: OK, I'm confused now. Barefoot Beach is the suite beach. You either ride a cart or walk past the zip line training area. We've been to Labadee several times and I couldn't even tell you where the straw market is. Never had any interest in going there. Anyway, sorry for the problems