Bar Harbor

Kaibocan

I sure hope you get the chance to hike in ANP. There are over 120 miles of trails to choose from, and I've hiked a lot them! If you tell me the kind of hike you're looking for, I will give you some options. There are trails that are easy level ground and trails that are rocky strenuous climbs and trails that are somewhere in-between. Let me know how you will access the trailhead - by Island Explorer bus or car or walking in from town.

As for Bar Harbor, there is a lot to see in the small town - shopping, restaurants, taking an oceanside stroll, or just relaxing in the park.

P.S. My avatar is my dog on a hike up North Bubble with Jordan Pond in the background and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. This gorgeous view is only accessible by hiking.

Edited by portiemom

I sure hope you get the chance to hike in ANP. There are over 120 miles of trails to choose from, and I've hiked a lot them! If you tell me the kind of hike you're looking for, I will give you some options. There are trails that are easy level ground and trails that are rocky strenuous climbs and trails that are somewhere in-between. Let me know how you will access the trailhead - by Island Explorer bus or car or walking in from town.

As for Bar Harbor, there is a lot to see in the small town - shopping, restaurants, taking an oceanside stroll, or just relaxing in the park.

P.S. My avatar is my dog on a hike up North Bubble with Jordan Pond in the background and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. This gorgeous view is only accessible by hiking.

Your post made me even more excited for the park! We will probably rent a car for the day & drive to the park we are all in our 50's and not regular hikers so I don't think we should do really rocky strenuous hikes. Are there easy hikes with beautiful views?

Having a car is a great asset. You will love the drive around the Park Loop Road. Here are some options for hikes:

Very easy and stunning views:

Ocean Drive Trail - This is essentially a walk along the most scenic section of the Park Loop Road. There is the opportunity for walking out on the rocks that jut into the ocean. I love walking this on cloudy, even stormy days, when most people are not out. If the sea is rough, be very careful about where you walk if you go off the trail to walk or sit on the rocks. It can be dangerous if a big wave suddenly comes in. Good footing and an easy walk on the trail. Very popular, so lots of people on nice days.

Bubble Pond - Has a carriage road along one side. You can do an easy out-and-back. Turn around when you feel you've gone far enough. Very pretty pond surrounded by mountains.

The carriage roads are all flat easy footing, so they are used by bikes, as well as horses - no motorized vehicles allowed. They're great for hiking, as well. The one around Eagle Lake is very popular, but long. You could go part way and turn around when you feel like it. There are not constant views of the lake, however, because of all the trees. Still, the woods are very pretty.

Moderate hikes:

Gorham Mountain Trail: If you're willing to do some walking/climbing on rocks (really ANP is all about the pink granite the island is made of) then I always recommend hiking on Gorham Mountain. The trailhead is at a parking lot near the far end of the Ocean Drive Trail (or the Ocean Drive section of the Park Loop Road) and easy to find. You will have about 500 ft of elevation gain, which gets you up on the small mountain with even better views of what you see from Ocean Drive. Stunning views for a little work climbing up there. I've taken family members who were not regular hikers, and the park rangers have a guided hike on this trail, so it can't be too bad.

Great Head: Another possibility in the same area, Great Head can be accessed by parking in the Sand Beach parking lot, which is at the start of Ocean Drive. Walk across the sand toward the mountain. There is a bit of a climb to start, but the rest is fairly easy. There is some loose rock and exposed tree roots in places. Great views of the ocean and the mountains back behind Ocean Drive. Tends to be quiet here.

South Bubble: A bit tougher, but very popular. It is a longer climb and it is steep, but doable. The steep part of the trail is very wide and a lot of it is like climbing several flights of stairs. I usually need several rest breaks, and there is room on the sides of the trail. I love going up this one if it is a clear day because the views are spectacular. You can see Jordan Pond and out to the ocean, like the picture in my avatar, which was from North Bubble. Usually when I come back down South Bubble, I continue on up North Bubble. These are small mountains, but wow what gorgeous views can be had! South Bubble has its own parking lot, not very far past the parking lot for Bubble Pond.

If you're riding the Island Explorer Bus, you can access all of these hikes, but you will need to let the driver know if you want to go to South Bubble. They don't stop there unless you request it. The rest are usual stops.

Hope that helps! ANP is my favorite place in the world. Enjoy!

Having a car is a great asset. You will love the drive around the Park Loop Road. Here are some options for hikes:

Very easy and stunning views:

Ocean Drive Trail - This is essentially a walk along the most scenic section of the Park Loop Road. There is the opportunity for walking out on the rocks that jut into the ocean. I love walking this on cloudy, even stormy days, when most people are not out. If the sea is rough, be very careful about where you walk if you go off the trail to walk or sit on the rocks. It can be dangerous if a big wave suddenly comes in. Good footing and an easy walk on the trail. Very popular, so lots of people on nice days.

Bubble Pond - Has a carriage road along one side. You can do an easy out-and-back. Turn around when you feel you've gone far enough. Very pretty pond surrounded by mountains.

The carriage roads are all flat easy footing, so they are used by bikes, as well as horses - no motorized vehicles allowed. They're great for hiking, as well. The one around Eagle Lake is very popular, but long. You could go part way and turn around when you feel like it. There are not constant views of the lake, however, because of all the trees. Still, the woods are very pretty.

Moderate hikes:

Gorham Mountain Trail: If you're willing to do some walking/climbing on rocks (really ANP is all about the pink granite the island is made of) then I always recommend hiking on Gorham Mountain. The trailhead is at a parking lot near the far end of the Ocean Drive Trail (or the Ocean Drive section of the Park Loop Road) and easy to find. You will have about 500 ft of elevation gain, which gets you up on the small mountain with even better views of what you see from Ocean Drive. Stunning views for a little work climbing up there. I've taken family members who were not regular hikers, and the park rangers have a guided hike on this trail, so it can't be too bad.

Great Head: Another possibility in the same area, Great Head can be accessed by parking in the Sand Beach parking lot, which is at the start of Ocean Drive. Walk across the sand toward the mountain. There is a bit of a climb to start, but the rest is fairly easy. There is some loose rock and exposed tree roots in places. Great views of the ocean and the mountains back behind Ocean Drive. Tends to be quiet here.

South Bubble: A bit tougher, but very popular. It is a longer climb and it is steep, but doable. The steep part of the trail is very wide and a lot of it is like climbing several flights of stairs. I usually need several rest breaks, and there is room on the sides of the trail. I love going up this one if it is a clear day because the views are spectacular. You can see Jordan Pond and out to the ocean, like the picture in my avatar, which was from North Bubble. Usually when I come back down South Bubble, I continue on up North Bubble. These are small mountains, but wow what gorgeous views can be had! South Bubble has its own parking lot, not very far past the parking lot for Bubble Pond.

If you're riding the Island Explorer Bus, you can access all of these hikes, but you will need to let the driver know if you want to go to South Bubble. They don't stop there unless you request it. The rest are usual stops.

Hope that helps! ANP is my favorite place in the world. Enjoy!

Thank you!! That is wonderful information. Have you done any bike riding in the park? Is there a convenient spot to rent bikes?

I hiked around Jordan's Pond the last time I was in Bar Harbor. What a beautiful hike and views! So looking forward to returning in October on RCL Brilliance.

Could you see the ocean from this hike?

Thank you!! That is wonderful information. Have you done any bike riding in the park? Is there a convenient spot to rent bikes?

No, I have not done any bike riding, but it is very popular to ride on the carriage roads. There is a bike rental shop within walking distance of the pier. It is at the end of Cottage Street where it meets Route 3 - Bar Harbor Bike Shop.

Could you see the ocean from this hike?

I've hiked around Jordan Pond many times, and it is a beautiful hike. (Actually, I can't think of any hike that doesn't have beautiful scenery!!) It is a long hike. The pond is larger than it looks on a map. The trail is very easy to follow. I'd call it an easy hike, but for the length. There are views of the mountains surrounding it, but no ocean views. You need to be up on the Bubbles (North or South) on one of the taller peaks to see the ocean.

You can hike up South Bubble from the Jordan Pond Trail, but I would not recommend it unless you want a rocky, strenuous hike. Much easier to go up from the South Bubble parking lot.