Commercial During Safety Briefing!! (Muster Drill)

jwjax

:eek: Yes, we actually had to STAND through another of the Cruise Director's (CD's) commercials about Spa deals, Art Auctions, and a number of things that had nothing what so ever to do with the safety briefing.:mad:

The safety briefing was basically over, but the CD would not release everyone until he was done with his spiel about all the great watch deals, spa deals etc.....:rolleyes:

Although it was only about 5-7 minutes, it still irritated a lot of guests as they were already tired of waiting in the heat for the REAL Safety Briefing, which took almost 45 minutes, a little long compared to most of the ones we have attended.

When I mentioned it at guest services, they said they would "also mention it" to the CD.

Oh, well, we still had a great cruise but the CD....well he is obviously a newbie, and if all he can muster are commercials, needs to look forward to another career as a dancer or waiter...:D:D

Oh yes, it was the Valor, 5/23 CD name was Gary, I think?? We saw him 3 times, but heard his commercials about 10 times!!:cool:

Edited by jwjax

indeed. many people already dislike waiting for the muster drill to end....It is important, and usually takes just a little bit of time, but it's probably unnecessary to talk about spa specials, etc....If you want to make an announcement later on, those who want to listen will...I'm sure they don't mean to make things difficult...they probably just figure it's a "while you're all here" sort of thing.

I'm sorry, but the safety drill should be about safety and nothing else. It's not the time for anything else or to advertise deals.

I have never skipped and wouldn't, but they wonder why people get grouchy and don'y want to go? I think we all hear plenty of advertisements throughout the week and I don't see any reason why we need to hear one while we are held captive at a mandatory drill.

I'm sure they don't mean to make things difficult...they probably just figure it's a "while you're all here" sort of thing.

It's more like, "while we have you all captive and in front of very loud speakers!!" :D:D

indeed. many people already dislike waiting for the muster drill to end....It is important, and usually takes just a little bit of time, but it's probably unnecessary to talk about spa specials, etc....If you want to make an announcement later on, those who want to listen will...I'm sure they don't mean to make things difficult...they probably just figure it's a "while you're all here" sort of thing.

It's taking advantage of a captive audience and is in my opinion a pretty low thing to do. People want to enjoy their vacation, not listen sales pitches.

You can't expect people to take the muster drill and their personal safety seriously when the CD obviously doesn't by using the occasion to make a sales pitch.

Exactly!!

I would have left the drill at that point.:mad:

Exactly!!

I would have left the drill at that point.:mad:

That's just it, the crew would not open the doors, until the CD spiel was over!!

But, you are right, next time I will just try open the doors myself....:confused:

I guess it might a good idea for someone to post this on JH's blog or..XZ page?:)

I will try to submit something later to his blog and see what his response, if any, would be to commercial announcements during Muster Drill.

That's just it, the crew would not open the doors, until the CD spiel was over!!

But, you are right, next time I will just try open the doors myself....:confused:

I guess it might a good idea for someone to post this on JH's blog or..XZ page?:)

I will try to submit something later to his blog and see what his response, if any, would be to commercial announcements during Muster Drill.

Do you belong to his social media page? I would post it on there...

This really annoys me. I am always in a hurry to get back to my balcony for sail away and this really annoys me. I have never had a CD do this, but I think it's really inappropriate.

I think this is worth complaining about. Write to the CD directly if you can find a way to contact him, mention it on your survey and contact John Heald. This is important because, as someone mentioned, the safety drill should focus on ONLY the safety aspects. If they turn it into a sales pitch then more people will try to skip and will not pay attention when they do come. Plus, it is just rude to have a captive group and force a sales pitch on them.

:eek: Y

Oh, well, we still had a great cruise but the CD....well he is obviously a newbie, and if all he can muster are commercials, needs to look forward to another career as a dancer or waiter...:D:D

Oh yes, it was the Valor, 5/23 CD name was Gary, I think?? We saw him 3 times, but heard his commercials about 10 times!!:cool:

Couldn't have been any worse than my last "Valor" cruise C.D. That person was "Calvyn", and he was the second worst C.D. that I've experienced. (Only one any worse was Malcolm Burn.) :mad: That's pretty low to make a sales pitch at the safety briefing. Our safety briefing was long as well, but not that long, and it didn't have the sales pitch at the end. I too, would probably have walked off! :rolleyes:

"SKY"

What's going on with Valor? I've cruised that ship 7 times, and my last sail which was in March, was the worst cruise I have been on......and now dragging out the muster drill?

I would have registered a complaint with Guest Services while still on the ship. Now that the OP is back home, there is a prompt on the Carnival phone line for comments about your recent cruise.

I agree with everyone here that this is an terrible abuse!

We just got off of the Glory yesterday. The same thing happened during our muster. Its not just isolated to the Valor.

Oh no, I have a B2B on Glory in Jan-Feb '16...... I'll complain on board if this is still happening then.

Do you belong to his social media page? I would post it on there...

This really annoys me. I am always in a hurry to get back to my balcony for sail away and this really annoys me. I have never had a CD do this, but I think it's really inappropriate.

If this happened to us would do my best to leave and than complain on JH's fb page when we got back.

Oh no, I have a B2B on Glory in Jan-Feb '16...... I'll complain on board if this is still happening then.

This. Totally this.

You can't expect people to take the muster drill and their personal safety seriously when the CD obviously doesn't by using the occasion to make a sales pitch.

We had Gary on the Liberty back in the fall. He did the same thing then. That was just the first time he pissed me off. I real did not care for him. He made long announcements, many of which were essentially commercials. He made bad, borderline-offensive jokes at the shows. He came across arrogant and rude. But, worst of all, debarkation was a mad house already. Then, he started directing people to go the wrong way. We were self-assist, so we were carrying all of our bags and that made it much worse. I hope I don't find Gary on future sailings. Arghh....

Couldn't have been any worse than my last "Valor" cruise C.D. That person was "Calvyn", and he was the second worst C.D. that I've experienced. (Only one any worse was Malcolm Burn.) :mad: That's pretty low to make a sales pitch at the safety briefing. Our safety briefing was long as well, but not that long, and it didn't have the sales pitch at the end. I too, would probably have walked off! :rolleyes:

"SKY"

Calvyn is not a CD yet. He is an "acting CD" (basically as CD in training) which he has to do for a year before he is "promoted" to CD.

This might explain a lack of experience.

Muster Drills are for Muster Drills.

Now if they want to make announcements as people are leaving, then that is fine...

but no way should they make everyone just stand there and listen to a sales pitch.

Yes they can and should. It's a requirement. 5 minutes won't kill anybody. Maybe he was stalling until they gave the all clear.