Commercial During Safety Briefing!! (Muster Drill)

jwjax

Yes they can and should. It's a requirement. 5 minutes won't kill anybody. Maybe he was stalling until they gave the all clear.

Making excuses for the CD does not excuse them taking the focus away from safety and the drill. The drill is job one.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Yes they can and should. It's a requirement. 5 minutes won't kill anybody. Maybe he was stalling until they gave the all clear.

5 minutes no, but after 30 or more standing in the heat (88), a commercial is a commercial!! The captain/hotel mgr had already basically given the all clear, so this was not part of the drill.

I pay for premium TV services to avoid commercials, and I certainly don't appreciate being detained to listen to one by the CD during a required safety drill on a cruise! Yes, only 5 minutes!! TV commercials usually are 30 secs to 1 minute max.....REALLY!!!:cool:

If the Captain or whomever gave the all clear, you can bet your sweet behind that I would be out of there. He can keep talking til he's blue in the face. And if the people wouldn't open the doors, I would open them myself. Are they going to stop the masses from leaving?

Please note that I would ONLY do this if the mandatory drill was over and we were dismissed by the Captain or whomever.

Edited by firemanbobswife

There is a time and place for everything.

After being packed together like sardines for forty five minutes that is neither the time or place.

I would have been very annoyed and every person with any type of authority on the cruise would have been let know about my dismay.:mad:

And trust me, I'm a roll with the punches type of guy.

The really annoying thing is after prolonging the Muster Drill with extra announcements ... the same announcements will be made again all over the ship in the next thirty minutes or so. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Plus, for those of you saying maybe he was just killing time, why couldn't he spend that time introducing himself, welcoming people to the ship? Why couldn't he spend time telling people about activities coming up this evening or something if he MUST kill time? I would be much more appreciative of that than an advertisement for watches or the spa!!

If the Captain or whomever gave the all clear, you can bet your sweet behind that I would be out of there. He can keep talking til he's blue in the face. And if the people wouldn't open the doors, I would open them myself. Are they going to stop the masses from leaving?

Please note that I would ONLY do this if the mandatory drill was over and we were dismissed by the Captain or whomever.

IIRC, the CD came on, after the drill was over, and said "We will be releasing everyone, but we will go by port and starboard sides. That's when the 5-7 minute spiel began, and ultimately it didn't matter which side went first, as everyone left as soon as the doors opened.

Don't even ask me or anyone on this cruise about debarkation....biggest mess and confusion we have ever witnessed??

Our muster on the Glory in March was ridiculous. People just stumbling along to "find" their spots, no help from the crew, noone counted the passengers and all we heard from CD was Muster F, Lifeboats 19 and 21 and so on. I just made sure my family knew what was what. Worse muster so far and been on 3 cruises.

But after 45 minutes to an hour of the safety briefing who wants to listen to the CD?

What cruise line has this happened. In 42 cruises I've never had the actual briefing take more than 20 - 30 minutes. The whole process may take 45 minutes but standing there is far less than that.

I also think it's ridiculous to have a "commercial" before you are released from Muster.

Take care,

Mike

Wow, after standing for about 10 - 15 minutes in one place, my sciatic nerve starts to tell me "it's time to go"! Once I start walking around again, it eases up. Needless to say, I don't like muster drills that drag on.

It's hard enough to stand at muster drill for too long already. If they start taking more time to include "commercials", then I'll be uber-mad.

IIRC, the CD came on, after the drill was over, and said "We will be releasing everyone, but we will go by port and starboard sides. That's when the 5-7 minute spiel began, and ultimately it didn't matter which side went first, as everyone left as soon as the doors opened.

Don't even ask me or anyone on this cruise about debarkation....biggest mess and confusion we have ever witnessed??

So they did release people, but it was staggered. I will bite what was the deal with debarkation?

OK if this is what happened no problem with CD but sure everyone wanted to leave and nobody would have listened to him at all.

I agree on both counts. Understand everyone wants it to over. Seems he was filling time waiting to give he all clear with the other zones. We all know it is not the best part of cruising, but one of the most important.

We had the best muster on a rainy day on the imagination. They had us sit in the buffet, and since Goose was on vacation, we had his assistant, Dustin. Fastest muster ever. If I get a commercial before I can leave, I'll be cranky. Words will be said to someone with a name tag.

They know they have your ears and your trapped.

Its wrong and not fair to people who have trouble standing.

The muster is a safety drill and that is all. Its not a time to promote the ships sale prices and spa specials

They know they have your ears and your trapped.

Its wrong and not fair to people who have trouble standing.

The muster is a safety drill and that is all. Its not a time to promote the ships sale prices and spa specials

Except they did not stand any longer than if he was not talking.

I agree on both counts. Understand everyone wants it to over. Seems he was filling time waiting to give he all clear with the other zones. We all know it is not the best part of cruising, but one of the most important.

Since we dont take our lifejackets to safety briefing dont think people take it as serious as they should