1 Cruise or B2B that include both Hawaii and Alaska

lellenm

Ok, let me explain.

I recently booked my first B2B on the Carnival Legend for May 2016. The first leg of the B2B starts in Hawaii and does the islands, then travels and ends in Vancouver. The second leg starts in Vancouver and does Alaska ending in Seattle.

I was really excited about this itinerary. Ok so here come the BUT! A few days after I had booked these two cruises I get a call from the Carnival Regulations desk saying that due to the Jones Act I could not book these two cruises B2B.

So sad!!! I cancelled both and we are now cruising the Southern Caribbean. Still with Carnival because it was not their fault.

So here is my question. Does anyone know of a cruise line that would have a cruise or B2B that would include both Hawaii and Alaska?

This would be a great itinerary if I could find a cruise line that does it.

Thanks for the help!

A couple of ideas: You can switch to a different cruise ship once you get to Vancouver, there are usually several ships leaving per week. It can be the same cruise line or a different one. If you need to do an overnight in Vancouver, that's even better - so much to see & do! Or make a land trip from Vancouver to Seattle (try Amtrak) and take an Alaska cruise out of there.

Edited by Kartgv

I understand the Jones act but Vancouver is in Canada, so you would be going from Hawaii to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Alaska.

Can't you book both voyages separately? Go off the ship and then back on with a new start.

I understand the Jones act but Vancouver is in Canada, so you would be going from Hawaii to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Alaska.

Can't you book both voyages separately? Go off the ship and then back on with a new start.

If you are staying on the same ship, it is viewed as Hawaii to Alaska and that is illegal

Regardless the stop in Vancouver, that itinerary would be transportation from one U.S. port to another. The only way that trip could be done is to sail back to Hawaii, where the voyage started.

Edited by sail7seas

This is exactly what they told us. We could not do the two B2B.

:(

We looked at getting off the ship and driving to Seattle to get on a different ship and doing Alaska, but what was appealing to us with the B2B was the same cabin, both cruises, and not having to pack up and move in the middle.

Oh well, we will keep wishing for this.

Thanks!

The trouble is that Vancouver is not a "distant foreign port" as required by the PVSA. Because of that, the cruise is considered Hawaii to Alaska, which is not legal.

No, you can't. As noted it's the Passenger Vessel Services Act. And it says that the same (non-US flagged) ship cannot transport passengers from one US port to a different US port. While you are booking two separate cruises, the start of your B2B is in Hawaii and finish is in Seattle. The PVSA views it as one trip. It can't be done.

Star Princess leaves Vancouver April 29, RT to Hawaii, returns May 14. Then departs 7 days to Alaska and returns to Vancouver. That meets your desired destinations criteria. And you could do a B2B legally. It is 21 days instead of the 19 that you tried to book on the Legend, but everything else fits.