First Family Cruise - 1+ Year Old on NCL

jaelae

The wife and I decided to go back on the Breakaway (previously went September 2014) on March 2016. At the time she was pregnant and we now have a healthy little girl.

I've read through many concerns over cruising with babies (especially specific to NCL) but with other family and friends going on this we opted to take a chance. I've found a number of things to take note of, what to bring for baby as well as what we can do. It did sting a bit to pay for the little one although it was a reduced rate but since they won't be doing too much at 1 years of age it was a bit of a shame.

I am going to be requesting a pack n play or crib for the room and ordering an inflatable pool due to the no swim diapers allowed in the pools. Is there anything else to be aware of or keep in mind?

You'll do great. We have done 7 cruises on NCL with our now 3.75 yr old, starting when he was 15 months old. Sure it's not the same as a vacation alone, but who cares - it's still a vacation and you'll be making lots of memories for yourselves. Honestly just go with the flow and don't be so strict about routine.

We didn't have to bother about the inflatable tub - managed to always book a room with a bathtub. I found the NCL staff to be very accommodating for small children as well.

We used the buffet way too often when we younger, but have not set foot in it once in our past three cruises. Just too chaotic. When he was younger we would also ask that our appetizers and main courses be delivered at the same time. Makes a bit of a rush meal but that can be a good thing too..

There should be no "concerns"...this is a family vacation...of COURSE you take your kids!

Yes...the dining room is a better dining choice with kids. Self-serve is hard when you're serving more than yourself! Let a waiter bring your stuff!

It's true about the pools...no diapered ones in the pools....you'll have to do your swimming on shore, or bring a blow up tub for baby's splashing.

We are currently preparing for our first cruise on NCL with our toddler on the Breakaway next week. We've cruised several times before on many lines but never on NCL and never with our son.

I've asked his Pediatrician for a list of OTC meds to take along for him in case. We've never given him anything but infant tylenol and that only a handful of times so I'm sure a more experienced parent could skip calling the Ped. I just wanted to make sure I took appropriate meds in case of stomach bug or seasickness or any other ailment that might befall a toddler on a cruise/vacation.

We've also bought new versions/full bottles of whatever he uses on a regular basis, plus what we need for being out in the sun (bottles of sunscreen, deet free bug spray, hat, sunglasses, swim diapers, face wipes) and alcohol free hand sanitizer. Plus, based on the advice on this forum, the munchkin inflatable duck tub for splashing on the balcony or pool deck. Also, a travel size bottle of his shampoo/body wash, laundry detergent and a little bottle of dish soap.

He's done with bottles and drinks out of straw cups but I've read those are not available on NCL so we are taking 3 take n toss brand straw cups with us along with us for milk and a leak proof straw cup he drinks water from. I will wash these out daily in the bathroom. Our son is 19 months old and we made sure he was done with bottles before our cruise. I can't avoid all washing since we have the straw cups but I definitrly wanted to avoid washing bottles if I could.

I've also tracked the number of diapers he uses and will take a third more than he uses, as well as 2x the amount of nighttime diapers (14 instead of 7).

I've read on here about buying magnetic hooks and using a shower curtain as a privacy curtain. I made sure to try to book a cabin where the layout shows the bed near the balcony so we could put the pnp farther from the door (to allow us to use the balcony w/o disturbing him while he slept). I won't know if the deck plan was accurate until we get on board but hopefully that's the case. I'm still on the fence abt the privacy curtain. I don't know if it is overkill or a necessity. That will probably be a last minute decision.

I've hidden some or his favorite little toys and a couple of books last week. I've bought a few dollar store trinkets and cars and plan to bring out a few new or favorite toys at fussy times or at dinner in the MDR.

We've also downloaded a few shows he watches on our tablet. He likes to watch a show in the morning with his milk and I can't be sure there will be something age appropriate on TV. I would allow Dora and this age but not SpongeBob even though I'm personally a fan. But that's just our personal opinion, to each their own.

I will probably have more (needless?) advice when we get back. I might do a toddler based review I'm not sure yet. We only booked this cruise about a month and a half ago. I give you credit for booking so far in advance! Although I think I would go crazy waiting and planning...that's always the best part for me but it tends to consume me!

We were just on a smaller NCL ship with a 3-year old and there were no children's shows on the tv at all. I was surprised, especially with so many people coming from random time zones. He was waking up at 4:00, for example.

We were just on a smaller NCL ship with a 3-year old and there were no children's shows on the tv at all. I was surprised, especially with so many people coming from random time zones. He was waking up at 4:00, for example.

Wow really? That's so surprising I thought they'd for sure have nickelodeon because that's who they're associated with. I'm glad you pointed this out. Might need to download a few more videos on the tablet. Thanks!

Wow really? That's so surprising I thought they'd for sure have nickelodeon because that's who they're associated with. I'm glad you pointed this out. Might need to download a few more videos on the tablet. Thanks!

We found this on RCI. They had one or two cartoon channels, but very little for our son who was 3 and 5. They may have had Nick, but not Nick Jr. Luckily we booked a cabin with a DVD player and brought his videos. If I remember correctly, we watched Max & Ruby the first cruise (over and over), and Paw Patrol the second (over and over)...lol

We just got back off the Breakway with our 14 month old and are actually booked for another cruise in November. We had a great time and things worked out well. We actually did specialty dining most of the nights, it was included. I actually found the buffet to be easier at times than sit down, it was never that crowded, or we just hit it at the right time. My daughter had about a 45-60 min limit before she was done. Although it does help if you have them bring out the app and main course together or tell them you want it to come out quicker.

We had reserved a pack and play but did not end up using it. We made up the couch and confirmed with our Stewart that there are rails you can have put on the bed, I wouldn't recommend for a climber, but putting the back cushion of the couch in front as a barrier and blocks on either side worked.

The guppies program and play room was nice for her to get some energy out and she liked playing with the other kids.

Deck 16 is nice at night to walk with the stroller, not many people up there.

One thing I bought but forgot to bring was a silicon placemat. I did bring antibacterial wipes to wipe the table and would use a linen napkin.

I would keep an eye on the price for next year, the promo may change so the little one is free. That's the only reason we're doing two cruises this year.

I would also grab cartons and milk and Cheerios in the morning, the Cheerios boxes make great entertainment.

We just got back off the Breakway with our 14 month old and are actually booked for another cruise in November. We had a great time and things worked out well. We actually did specialty dining most of the nights, it was included. I actually found the buffet to be easier at times than sit down, it was never that crowded, or we just hit it at the right time. My daughter had about a 45-60 min limit before she was done. Although it does help if you have them bring out the app and main course together or tell them you want it to come out quicker.

We had reserved a pack and play but did not end up using it. We made up the couch and confirmed with our Stewart that there are rails you can have put on the bed, I wouldn't recommend for a climber, but putting the back cushion of the couch in front as a barrier and blocks on either side worked.

The guppies program and play room was nice for her to get some energy out and she liked playing with the other kids.

Deck 16 is nice at night to walk with the stroller, not many people up there.

One thing I bought but forgot to bring was a silicon placemat. I did bring antibacterial wipes to wipe the table and would use a linen napkin.

I would keep an eye on the price for next year, the promo may change so the little one is free. That's the only reason we're doing two cruises this year.

I would also grab cartons and milk and Cheerios in the morning, the Cheerios boxes make great entertainment.

Great info thanks!

I'd love to hear what you guys did in Bermuda with your little one. We are planning low key kid friendly activities for the mornings, lunch possibly then back on board for his nap. Did you go to the Aquarium/Zoo or horseshoe beach? Did your little one enjoy the things you guys did?

Edited by mobu2015

Great info thanks!

I'd love to hear what you guys did in Bermuda with your little one. We are planning low key kid friendly activities for the mornings, lunch possibly then back on board for his nap. Did you go to the Aquarium/Zoo or horseshoe beach? Did your little one enjoy the things you guys did?

It was actually extremely windy and rainy the whole three days we were there so some of our plans changed and we just kind if went with it, they shut down the ferry to St George the seas were so bad the second day. My husband and I had been to Bermuda before so were at least familiar with the island.

We had planned on the aquarium, but it was closed for renovation from the hurricane last fall, not sure when it's supposed to re-open. So we stayed close to dockyard the first day, checking things out that we missed last time. The second day we ended up taking a private taxi tour, which was nice because we could stop if we needed too, our little one loved being able to look out the window and she napped in the taxi. We went to Fort St Catherine, walked around St George, along with some time in Hamilton and Gibbs Lighthouse and some other sites. Our driver was great and very accommodating with the little one. The last day we stayed around dockyard and went to Snorkel Park (do not waste your money) they make you pay to rent chairs and there was glass in the water. My little one did enjoy the time we spent there. There is also a playground right in front of the park as well.

As far as beaches we like Tobacco Bay, it's coved in and is very calm and has facilities. My husband and I snorkeled there last time (prebaby) Our taxi driver took us by Church Bay, I believe the name of it is and it is also extremely calm and there is a playground. There are little calm coves at Horsehoe bay but it does get crowded and is very popular spot. But if this is your first time to Bermuda it's nice to check out the pink beaches and it's not too far from dockyard.

Overall it didn't go exactly as planned because of the weather, but we had a good time and will certainly go back to Bermuda. We did bring a stroller which she napped in a lot while walking around. Our November cruise may be a little more exciting with her fully walking.

It was actually extremely windy and rainy the whole three days we were there so some of our plans changed and we just kind if went with it, they shut down the ferry to St George the seas were so bad the second day. My husband and I had been to Bermuda before so were at least familiar with the island.

We had planned on the aquarium, but it was closed for renovation from the hurricane last fall, not sure when it's supposed to re-open. So we stayed close to dockyard the first day, checking things out that we missed last time. The second day we ended up taking a private taxi tour, which was nice because we could stop if we needed too, our little one loved being able to look out the window and she napped in the taxi. We went to Fort St Catherine, walked around St George, along with some time in Hamilton and Gibbs Lighthouse and some other sites. Our driver was great and very accommodating with the little one. The last day we stayed around dockyard and went to Snorkel Park (do not waste your money) they make you pay to rent chairs and there was glass in the water. My little one did enjoy the time we spent there. There is also a playground right in front of the park as well.

As far as beaches we like Tobacco Bay, it's coved in and is very calm and has facilities. My husband and I snorkeled there last time (prebaby) Our taxi driver took us by Church Bay, I believe the name of it is and it is also extremely calm and there is a playground. There are little calm coves at Horsehoe bay but it does get crowded and is very popular spot. But if this is your first time to Bermuda it's nice to check out the pink beaches and it's not too far from dockyard.

Overall it didn't go exactly as planned because of the weather, but we had a good time and will certainly go back to Bermuda. We did bring a stroller which she napped in a lot while walking around. Our November cruise may be a little more exciting with her fully walking.

Thanks for the info! Sorry the weather didn't cooperate. But that's exciting you've got another one booked! Did you take along the carseat for the taxi or just have her on your lap? I ask because we are hoping to take the bus to certain places but I've read it can get very crowded and there are long wait times so we were debating taking a taxi to one spot but weren't sure about the carseat situation since we aren't planning to bring it along.

Thanks for the info! Sorry the weather didn't cooperate. But that's exciting you've got another one booked! Did you take along the carseat for the taxi or just have her on your lap? I ask because we are hoping to take the bus to certain places but I've read it can get very crowded and there are long wait times so we were debating taking a taxi to one spot but weren't sure about the carseat situation since we aren't planning to bring it along.

It was really a great time, even with the weather. We did not bring a car seat. I held her in the taxi, which worked out fine. We took the buses and ferries last time we were in Bermuda (prebaby) and did not experience too bad of crowds on the buses, some on the ferries. You may want to consider bringing a carrier if you have one, I didn't end of bringing one, we just brought a stroller (Chicco Liteway) it was great to have. They will only allow umbrella style strollers on the buses btw.

Taxis are certainly more expensive, but sometimes the convenience out ways the cost with little ones. Plus if you are going to horse bay they will take you right to the beach at the bottom of a hill, the bus does not.

It was really a great time, even with the weather. We did not bring a car seat. I held her in the taxi, which worked out fine. We took the buses and ferries last time we were in Bermuda (prebaby) and did not experience too bad of crowds on the buses, some on the ferries. You may want to consider bringing a carrier if you have one, I didn't end of bringing one, we just brought a stroller (Chicco Liteway) it was great to have. They will only allow umbrella style strollers on the buses btw.

Taxis are certainly more expensive, but sometimes the convenience out ways the cost with little ones. Plus if you are going to horse bay they will take you right to the beach at the bottom of a hill, the bus does not.

Thanks again! I agree about the convenience out weighing the cost! If we end up going to horseshoe bay I've read on the Bermuda forum they have vans that go now for $16 rt that take you down the hill so would definitely do that over the bus for sure! We did get a nicer umbrella stroller that reclines, maybe he will nap in it at some point...well that's the dream anyways ;)

Thanks for your helpful tips! I feel like I took over OP's thread here but hopefully they (and anyone else) will find your info useful too!!