When you book another cruise while onboard?

ondeckatsea

When you book another cruise while onboard and transfer the booking to your travel agent do you, or should you, expect any credit from your travel agentcy? We book at least one, more often two cruises on-board ship every year but have never received anything. What gripes me is that if I ask for them to help me with airline reservations (which I find myself) I have to pay a fee for ticketing. Is this cheap on my side or is the travel agency kind of on the cheap side?

When you book another cruise while onboard and transfer the booking to your travel agent do you, or should you, expect any credit from your travel agentcy? We book at least one, more often two cruises on-board ship every year but have never received anything. What gripes me is that if I ask for them to help me with airline reservations (which I find myself) I have to pay a fee for ticketing. Is this cheap on my side or is the travel agency kind of on the cheap side?

Ahhhhh, IMHO, you need a diff agent.

We booked a C2 last Nov for our next cruise. Got home, got an email from a friend about her Agents Co having a Black Friday Sale. They upgraded us to an A2 got all 3 perks, double the OBC and another $100 for transferring to them. We have not used a TA in 15 years, didn't think it possible. That A2 is now $700 pp higher with only 1 perk.

You need a diff agent.

do you, or should you, expect any credit from your travel agent? Is this cheap on my side or is the travel agency kind of on the cheap side?

Here's an example.

While on a cruise last winter we booked 2 staterooms for next winter. We were asked if we wanted to use the same T.A. and as they had paid our on board gratuities for the cruise we were on, we said yes.

I then contacted the T.A. told them we had booked 2 staterooms, and asked what they could provide for an inventive. Their answer was nothing. No problem, I went back to the on board person, removed that T.A. from the booking and when we got home shopped for another T.A. The new one gave us the gratuities and a $150 on board credit per stateroom.

I'm not too concerned about "cheap" as I am fair. We've been on so many cruises we don't really need a T.A. to hold our hands, provide information, assist with bookings. We are really no work other than to collect the money on behalf of the cruise line.

We make the booking then transfer it to the T.A. of our choice based on incentives they offer. If the T.A. makes 10-15% on a booking, and they can give back some by way of per paid gratuities or O.B.C. and still make a profit, then we're all happy with the deal.

Edited by WpgCruise

Why would you give your booking to a travel agent if you derive no benefit from doing so?

(Unless you just want the commission to go to a travel agent who is a family member or close friend.)

Whenever we book another cruise while onboard, we always keep it in our own names and do not let them assign the booking to any travel agent (even if we think we know which travel agent we will want to use at the time).

That way you gain an additional 60 days to look around and compare offers from different travel agencies before deciding which one will give you the best deal, whether it is a reduced price, attractive perks in addition to the perks you get from the cruise line, or a combination.

Always be sure that you know exactly which perks you are getting from the cruise line and which additional perks are coming from the travel agency.

I say this because some travel agencies try to make it appear that they are giving you perks that are really coming from the cruise line, which you would get anyway regardless of whether or not you book with them.

One travel agency may offer the best deal for one cruise, while a different travel agency will offer the best deal for another cruise.

Or, depending upon circumstances, occasionally we find it better to keep the reservation ourselves and not give it to any travel agency at all.

But it pays to do your homework and check around each time to find the best deal for you.

For the last couple of years I have been very happy with my TA. But before that it was always a hunt to find one that was actually looking for our business. As I used quite a few different TA's during that time what I did was print off the tsf form from X's website, print it off and sign it. Then I scanned it (and filed it) and then when I picked a TA I would just email the image as an attachment and let him complete it and forward it to X. Transfer time to get my booking to the TA was incredibly faster. Having a TA that gives you bennies is a plus but having one that you trust is even better:D

Edited by Christine Frances

Thank you all for the good information. I appreciate it very much. Right now we have a 14 night Caribbean and a 13 night Med. cruise (s) booked, which we booked onboard. I did the leg work for both along with the rep. on the ship. We are veteran cruises. These two will be # 31 and #32 so really, the TA is just a face to put on a booking.

There is an online cruise company based here in NH and maybe next time I will give them the booking.

Edited by ondeckatsea

As I used quite a few different TA's during that time what I did was print off the tsf form from X's website, print it off and sign it. Then I scanned it (and filed it) and then when I picked a TA I would just email the image as an attachment and let him complete it and forward it to X. Transfer time to get my booking to the TA was incredibly faster. Having a TA that gives you bennies is a plus but having one that you trust is even better:D
That is very similar to the way we do it, except that we don't bother to print or scan the form.

We just use the pdf version that you fill out and sign right online.

We save a copy as a standard form in our cruise file, so we can open it each time we need it, fill in the appropriate TA info for that particular cruise, and email it directly off to the TA.

The main advantage to letting the TA process the transfer for you is that the TA has the incentive to make sure the transfer goes through in a timely manner.

If you are running close to the 60 day cutoff, the TA will get an extension.

If we send the transfer form directly to the cruise line address given, we do not know who actually receives it and the anonymous person who gets it has no incentive to expedite it for us.

A couple of times a TA has even processed the transfer over the phone for us and we did not need to submit a transfer form at all, but I have no idea why some TAs can do this and others claim they can't.

If a TA is reading this, maybe s/he can provide the answer.

Thank you all for the good information. I appreciate it very much. Right now we have a 14 night Caribbean and a 13 night Med. cruise (s) booked, which we booked onboard. I did the leg work for both along with the rep. on the ship. We are veteran cruises. These two will be # 31 and #32 so really, the TA is just a face to put on a booking.

There is an online cruise company based here in NH and maybe next time I will give them the booking.

No, forget about them. They charge a cancellation fee if you do decide to cancel, and their customer service sucks!

No, forget about them. They charge a cancellation fee if you do decide to cancel, and their customer service sucks!
Wine-O, please elaborate.

What kind of customer service problems did you encounter with them?

It would really be helpful for others here to know.

We have only used them a few times when they offered some attractive perks.

One thing we disliked was that when they sent us our guest copy of the original Celebrity invoice, they had doctored some of the numbers on it. That looked very suspicious.

Also, it took quite a long time after making payment before they sent it to us.

We are accustomed to receiving our copy of the updated Celebrity invoice right away whenever we make a payment, and that is what we normally expect.

When we questioned them about it, we received a glib explanation that made no sense.

We never did find out what they were attempting to cover up by changing the numbers on the invoice or why it took them so long to send it.

Yet they did provide the perks they promised us, and the prices we were charged were correct.

We knew up front that they charge a cancellation fee, but were not aware of customer service problems, other than that they have limited hours when you can reach them.

Since each cruise we booked with them was one that we were very unlikely to cancel, to us it was worth the tradeoff of risking the possibility of a cancellation fee in exchange for the lucrative perks we received.

Edited by varoo

Why would you give your booking to a travel agent if you derive no benefit from doing so?

(Unless you just want the commission to go to a travel agent who is a family member or close friend.)

Whenever we book another cruise while onboard, we always keep it in our own names and do not let them assign the booking to any travel agent (even if we think we know which travel agent we will want to use at the time).

That way you gain an additional 60 days to look around and compare offers from different travel agencies before deciding which one will give you the best deal, whether it is a reduced price, attractive perks in addition to the perks you get from the cruise line, or a combination.

Always be sure that you know exactly which perks you are getting from the cruise line and which additional perks are coming from the travel agency.

I say this because some travel agencies try to make it appear that they are giving you perks that are really coming from the cruise line, which you would get anyway regardless of whether or not you book with them.

One travel agency may offer the best deal for one cruise, while a different travel agency will offer the best deal for another cruise.

Or, depending upon circumstances, occasionally we find it better to keep the reservation ourselves and not give it to any travel agency at all.

But it pays to do your homework and check around each time to find the best deal for you.

This is exactly what I do. I got one great deal from the NH agency. They added some great OBC to my already great onboard booking deal from X.

But when I called for pricing on a new booking, I wasn't that impressed. You need to shop around.

I've also learned that different agencies get different pricing on different cruises. It could be that they have booked group space or perhaps just some great pricing that they negotiated with a cruise line. I really don't care how it works as long as it benefits me.

Wine-O, please elaborate.

What kind of customer service problems did you encounter with them?

It would really be helpful for others here to know.

We have only used them a few times when they offered some attractive perks.

One thing we disliked was that when they sent us our guest copy of the original Celebrity invoice, they had doctored some of the numbers on it. That looked very suspicious.

Also, it took quite a long time after making payment before they sent it to us.

We are accustomed to receiving our copy of the updated Celebrity invoice right away whenever we make a payment, and that is what we normally expect.

When we questioned them about it, we received a glib explanation that made no sense.

We never did find out what they were attempting to cover up by changing the numbers on the invoice or why it took them so long to send it.

Yet they did provide the perks they promised us, and the prices we were charged were correct.

We knew up front that they charge a cancellation fee, but were not aware of customer service problems, other than that they have limited hours when you can reach them.

Since each cruise we booked with them was one that we were very unlikely to cancel, to us it was worth the tradeoff of risking the possibility of a cancellation fee in exchange for the lucrative perks we received.

Right now I am having issues with them. I booked an S class cruise for March 2016. At that time I was able to get a C3 for the price of 2A (awesome right?) Did the booking almost a year ago when Celebrity was offering all three 123 perks. So the email from TA said if you book 7 nights or higher you get all three perks/ PLUS it was 4th of July sale and they offered an additional up to $300 per cabin OBC. When I got my confirmation I got the Gratuities and the classic beverage package and a $100 OBC. When I called asap after receiving they told me the $100 was from them not Celebrity. I have tried three times to get them to honor BOTH the OBC from Celebrity and the OBC from their Firecracker sale. No luck. I have talked to other TA's and can't transfer the res. Also prices for C3 are now $400 pp more, so i feel like I don't want to start over. UURRGGHHH! This is my third booking with them. And, never again!

This is all very interesting.

We are just off Connie and booked for next year. I thought that Celebrity were being a bit tight. Free drinks and 200 $.

I got chatting to American's to find out who they used - whole point of the cruise apart from the mudslides - so now have two sites.

We have sixty days to transfer to a TA. What should I do? Mail them? It seems a bit cheeky! How do they make a profit? They must certainly do so.

We are in France which no doubt has different rules and regulations. Because they just do.

All ideas welcome

This might seem like a stupid question and I think Travel Agents in the U.S. must be different to ones in the UK because if you have booked the cruise on the ship why do you need a T.A? I can say hand on heart that I have never used one and have travelled all over the world, they have to make a profit somehow so in the long run you will be paying more for something!

This might seem like a stupid question and I think Travel Agents in the U.S. must be different to ones in the UK because if you have booked the cruise on the ship why do you need a T.A? I can say hand on heart that I have never used one and have travelled all over the world, they have to make a profit somehow so in the long run you will be paying more for something!

By transferring you can get additional perks such as OBC.

Right now I am having issues with them. I booked an S class cruise for March 2016. At that time I was able to get a C3 for the price of 2A (awesome right?) Did the booking almost a year ago when Celebrity was offering all three 123 perks. So the email from TA said if you book 7 nights or higher you get all three perks/ PLUS it was 4th of July sale and they offered an additional up to $300 per cabin OBC. When I got my confirmation I got the Gratuities and the classic beverage package and a $100 OBC. When I called asap after receiving they told me the $100 was from them not Celebrity. I have tried three times to get them to honor BOTH the OBC from Celebrity and the OBC from their Firecracker sale. No luck. I have talked to other TA's and can't transfer the res. Also prices for C3 are now $400 pp more, so i feel like I don't want to start over. UURRGGHHH! This is my third booking with them. And, never again!

That company hasn't done me wrong yet but this past Saturday I called regarding booking a cruise and I was told that they were too busy and to call back on Monday. Well...as we all know...deals change within minutes let alone days. So booked it elsewhere. My suggestion is to go up the chain of command but I am sure you've tried that.

I've booked 12 cruises with the NH company and while I've been generally satisfied I have had a few issues with them.

1) It has always been hard to get to an agent in a timely fashion. As we know deals and cabins can change in minutes. I've lost a couple of price drops over weekends because of their hours.

2) Their cancellation fee is what's turning me off from making any more bookings with them. I think a nominal fee is reasonable as they have had costs associated with making my booking, but $100 pp is unreasonable.

When it was $50 pp I really didn't have an issue because I'd only be charged if I actually canceled the booking. Now you will be charged if you move the booking to another sailing. I did this recently because I added a suite booking for the original sailing dates due to one of their sales. I did argue that I was adding a booking so they did agree to waive it 1 time.

What this ended up meaning is that they deferred the cancellation fee for that change. If I cancel this reservation in the future they will charge $100 pp for the rebook PLUS the $100 to cancel or $400 PP.

I've sent messages to their guest relations manager about my intent to take my business elsewhere due to their increased fees and reasons for imposing cancellation penalties.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I totally disagree. Yes they charge $25 p.p. cancellation fee, but I only book cruises I intend on taking and have never had any reason to cancel. They have literally saved me thousands and thousands of dollars over the 16 cruises I've booked through them. After I book my cruise, the only contact I have with them is via e-mail if I want to switch cabins or if there is a price reduction. If you need a baby sitter and someone to hold your hand, they are probably not for you. If you want to save tons of money, at least check them out, it doesn't cost you a cent.

This might seem like a stupid question and I think Travel Agents in the U.S. must be different to ones in the UK because if you have booked the cruise on the ship why do you need a T.A?
It is a very valid question, not stupid at all.

As you say, you do not "need" a TA, but most of us who transfer our bookings to a TA do so to derive additional benefits from the TA, on top of whatever perks we get from the cruise line.

Also, we can sometimes get a better price for equivalent accommodations from a TA than directly from the cruise line.

I can say hand on heart that I have never used one and have travelled all over the world, they have to make a profit somehow so in the long run you will be paying more for something!
I have never heard of anyone paying more to book a cruise through a TA.

Typically when you book a cruise through a TA, you either pay the same price that you would pay if you book directly with the cruise line, or you pay less.

The TAs make their profit on cruises from the commission they receive from the cruise line.

Therefore they are able to rebate part of that commission to their customers in the way of additional perks and still make a nice profit.

It is common for a larger travel agency that gives a cruise line more business to receive larger commissions, which is why the larger TAs that do high volume business with a cruise line generally are able to offer their customers better perks than the smaller TAs.

Also, the larger TAs often hold blocks of cabins that they can sell to you at lower prices than you would pay if you were to book an equivalent cabin directly with the cruise line itself.

Additionally, the larger TAs can generally afford to rebate more of their commission to their customers in the way of perks than a smaller TA can because they make up the difference in volume.

Naturally, TAs can give better perks to people who book the most expensive suites than to people who book the lowest price cabins, and to those who book any category at full price than to those who book the same category at rock bottom discounted prices.

The greater the commission they receive, the more flexibility they have in rebating part of that commission as perks to their customers.

That is why so many of us will give our cruise bookings to a TA when we receive appreciable additional benefits by doing so.

But we leave our bookings directly with the cruise line in situations where there is little or no incentive to bother with involving a third party,

especially if it is a last minute closeout sale at a deeply discounted price where involving a TA would be more hassle for us than benefit.

When you boo k another cruise while onboard and transfer the booking to your travel agent do you, or should you, expect any credit from your travel agentcy? We book at least one, more often two cruises on-board ship every year but have never received anything. What gripes me is that if I ask for them to help me with airline reservations (which I find myself) I have to pay a fee for ticketing. Is this cheap on my side or is the travel agency kind of on the cheap side?

I'm going to step away from the do-you-or-don't-you-need-a-TA conversation (I AM a TA), and get back to OP's original question...

You should expect (and demand) great service. You should expect them to look out for you. You should expect them to let you know of price drops. And while we generally make nothing on airline tickets, when you book a bunch of cruises through the same agency/agent, you should expect that they help you with air. With NO additional charge.

And yes, depending on the circumstances, sometimes you get additional perks.

I've booked 12 cruises with the NH company and while I've been generally satisfied I have had a few issues with them.

1) It has always been hard to get to an agent in a timely fashion. As we know deals and cabins can change in minutes. I've lost a couple of price drops over weekends because of their hours.

2) Their cancellation fee is what's turning me off from making any more bookings with them. I think a nominal fee is reasonable as they have had costs associated with making my booking, but $100 pp is unreasonable.

When it was $50 pp I really didn't have an issue because I'd only be charged if I actually canceled the booking. Now you will be charged if you move the booking to another sailing. I did this recently because I added a suite booking for the original sailing dates due to one of their sales. I did argue that I was adding a booking so they did agree to waive it 1 time.

What this ended up meaning is that they deferred the cancellation fee for that change. If I cancel this reservation in the future they will charge $100 pp for the rebook PLUS the $100 to cancel or $400 PP.

I've sent messages to their guest relations manager about my intent to take my business elsewhere due to their increased fees and reasons for imposing cancellation penalties.

We have also moved some of our bookings from this TA.....but we still use them. I booked a cruise today....the rate for the cabin was $500 a person less than everyone else (assume they have a group rate), we get all the perks offered by celebrity (1-2-3) and they are giving us $300 more OBC than being offered any of the others agencies I checked. Yes, the cancellation fee is $50 a person...but we are probably going to take this cruise. Savings by using this TA are essentially $1300 on an $8000 cruise. That's significant...

We have other cruises booked elsewhere because the costs were pretty much the same and there's no cancellation penalty.

I'm not suggesting using one or another agency.....but the agencies do offer different perks and in some cases, different cabin prices. You should always check around. that's one of the things to do during those 60 days....see which agency will give you the most perks.

As far as after booking customer service, we have never had a problem with any of the agencies and we often have small changes or questions.