What is the best way to keep in touch with teens on ship?

LuvTheSea14

We are going on family cruise in July on the Breakaway. There are 10 children. 8 of them are teens. We want to give them a little freedom while still knowing where they are and what they are doing. Can we use cell phones to text each other so we know where the kids are or will that give us a giant phone bill when we get home? Will two way radios be better.? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

We used I-Concierge, but it is 7.95 per device. Also sticky notes worked well for us. We also had a suite phone, so we would take it with us and the kids could reach us anywhere on the ship. (I have a blackberry so I could not download the app).

2 way radios have issues with the metal and are also annoying to everyone around you who are trying to enjoy their vacation. If you are going to use the iconcierge app make sure to put phones in airplane mode & then use wifi only. Leave notes in the room or have them tell you where they are going to be/what they are going to do and have check in times/spots.

No to walkie talkies......can you hear me now? can you hear me now? can you hear me now? can you hear me now? Is the conversation I don't want to hear.

Set up a meeting area 2-3 times a day

No to walkie talkies......can you hear me now? can you hear me now? can you hear me now? can you hear me now? Is the conversation I don't want to hear.

Set up a meeting area 2-3 times a day

Best place for walkie talkies is overboard:)

Post notes, text messages, prearranged gathering points are all effective. And, you'll find house phones on the ship and can call cabins. I might be wrong but I do think you can also leave a message on the cabin phone with the house phones.

We have a more expensive set of walkie talkies, think they are motorola for aobut $60, we have taken them on multiple cruises, have talked from a RCL ship to the shops in port and no problem. We are going to try the app but plan to take our walkie talkies as well. We always check the different chanels and frequencies to find one that seems less used.

What is the best way to keep in touch with teens on ship?

Talk with them.

This! We require meal time meet ups to sit and discuss the next time frame and what their plans are and where they will be. Breakfast covers until lunch for younger teens, older teens until dinner. Then regroup for evening at dinner and establish curfew time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! We require meal time meet ups to sit and discuss the next time frame and what their plans are and where they will be. Breakfast covers until lunch for younger teens, older teens until dinner. Then regroup for evening at dinner and establish curfew time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) It really is amazing how well this works, isn't it?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/892006/FORAY-Magnetic-Dry-Erase-Board-8/

I took one of these white boards on the ship and used it to leave messages on our door. That worked really well. Next time I will get a second one for my daughters' (16 and 17) cabin.

During the back-to-school season, I found a board like this for $2 at one of the office supply stores (I forget which one).

We are going on family cruise in July on the Breakaway. There are 10 children. 8 of them are teens. We want to give them a little freedom while still knowing where they are and what they are doing. Can we use cell phones to text each other so we know where the kids are or will that give us a giant phone bill when we get home? Will two way radios be better.? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Are you really going to spend your time tracking 8 teens? Don't forget that if you text or call, they can write or say where they are, but they really aren't:D They are in a city with walls, they can't escape.