Best cabana club cabana on na?

retiredkid

Any suggestions/preferences/tips on the best cabana on Observation deck? We will have really hot and humid weather as well as cooler Canadian temps, so we *think* we want the open railing, overlooking the pool rather than the closed glass wall. Which specific cabana would you choose if you could. I know we can request, but it's not guaranteed. ( Just two of us. )

Edited by retiredkid

If you do a search on this board you will find a few threads on the cabanas, with the comparison between aft facing and side facing. Some people like the air movement of aft facing, others like the sea view of side facing. There is no right or wrong answer to "best"...it means different things to different people.

If you do a search on this board you will find a few threads on the cabanas, with the comparison between aft facing and side facing. Some people like the air movement of aft facing, others like the sea view of side facing. There is no right or wrong answer to "best"...it means different things to different people.

Thanks CruiserBruce.

Yeah, I was able to catch a couple of those threads. And you are right, of course, different things are important to different people. I guess I worded my question wrong. I think we have pretty much decided on the open rail cabanas, and wondered if there are any specific ones that are considered better than others (for whatever reason). I suppose I am looking for a cabana name, but I seem to be taking the most circuitous route possible in asking for it. LOL

You might want to stay away from the ones right next to where the stairs come up from the lowerdeck. Otherwise they are all the same.

Great tip Bruce! I would not have thought of that. Thanks!!

Hopefully this link will drop you into the correct spot in the thread, if not, you want to look for post 527. I tried to get photos from above that show you the cabana layout. There's also a list of all the names in order so you can tell which is which.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44985959

THANKS POA!! Those are great shots. I actually had already read your post. I finally got a response from HAL regarding my request for a receipt. I paid for the Cabana Club Cabana over a week ago, and hadn't received a receipt nor an email to confirm. In my request, I stated that I knew there was no guarantee, but was it possible to request a cabana facing the pool, with the open railing. I did NOT ask for a specific cabana.

This was the response I got.......

Thank you for your email. I have submitted the request for the “ Portofino” Cabana for your 2016 cruise. This cabana is located on the rail looking over the pool.

I hope this meets your requirements. Thank you for choosing Holland America Line and have a great day!

image003.png

Now, I don't think this matches POA's photos, so it may be from a different ship. But, as Cruiser Bruce said... any cabana is better than no cabana.

sorry this is so long.

THANKS POA!! Those are great shots. I actually had already read your post. I finally got a response from HAL regarding my request for a receipt. I paid for the Cabana Club Cabana over a week ago, and hadn't received a receipt nor an email to confirm. In my request, I stated that I knew there was no guarantee, but was it possible to request a cabana facing the pool, with the open railing. I did NOT ask for a specific cabana.

This was the response I got.......

Thank you for your email. I have submitted the request for the “ Portofino” Cabana for your 2016 cruise. This cabana is located on the rail looking over the pool.

I hope this meets your requirements. Thank you for choosing Holland America Line and have a great day!

image003.png

Now, I don't think this matches POA's photos, so it may be from a different ship. But, as Cruiser Bruce said... any cabana is better than no cabana.

sorry this is so long.

We requested our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices - AND we actually cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam two weeks prior to our cabana reservation. (Cruz Chic graciously let DW hang out in her cabana that early week.)

We wound up with our third choice. To be honest with you, any of the cabanas would have been fine. I know that the two cabanas next to the stairs aren't as popular, but at no time did we feel like we repelling a boarding party. I think you'll have a great time no matter what cabana you wind up with.

I booked my cabana about 3 months ago. I asked for a choice of 2 of them but I can't remember which ones I asked for :o. I'm going to have an obstrucrpted ocean view room on this one so and outside perch is going to be essential. If been a long time since I've been without a balcony.

We requested our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices - AND we actually cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam two weeks prior to our cabana reservation. (Cruz Chic graciously let DW hang out in her cabana that early week.)

We wound up with our third choice. To be honest with you, any of the cabanas would have been fine. I know that the two cabanas next to the stairs aren't as popular, but at no time did we feel like we repelling a boarding party. I think you'll have a great time no matter what cabana you wind up with.

We have a family retreat cabana rented for both our upcoming cruises.....would you say both are equally nice? Never thought to request a certain one......

We were in a Cabana in January and loved it. It faced forward and got a little breeze. We liked that. The ones on the side are a little warmer and get a little less ventilation because of the plexiglass rails. However, there were some days that we got a little too much air/ wind... But that didn't bother us. [emoji41]

Edited by bjarrett7

• 1 month later...

We waited until we were on board to book a Cabana on our last cruise - I would like to reserve in advance - but can't seem to find the option - can anyone point me in the right direction on the HAL website?

Thanks much!

We waited until we were on board to book a Cabana on our last cruise - I would like to reserve in advance - but can't seem to find the option - can anyone point me in the right direction on the HAL website?

Thanks much!

See the attached PDF in post 9 on this thread. It should provide you all the info you need.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125867&highlight=retreat+cabana

I give myself a giant - DUH! I clicked on every link on that the HAL website...imagine having to CALL and SPEAK to someone! Sigh...wish I was leaving on vacation in 7 days instead of 7 months

Speaking of Cabanas... I just at booked one today for our January cruise on the Eurodam! When on a budget, we enjoy booking the extra large J or K cabins and renting a cabana for the week. Still comes out less than a balcony and the room is a LOT bigger than a verandah stateroom. [emoji41]

Edited by bjarrett7

Speaking of Cabanas... I just at booked one today for our January cruise on the Eurodam! When on a budget, we enjoy booking the extra large J or K cabins and renting a cabana for the week. Still comes out less than a balcony and the room is a LOT bigger than a verandah stateroom. [emoji41]

I just booked one today too but something weird happened. First it took forever to get it booked. After that she took my credit card number and she said it went thru fine. Online I've checked my credit card and even though my credit has been decreased by the amount she called and left me a message late this afternoon to say she forgot to charge me. My credit card number appears in part on the confirmation:confused:. I'm going to have to get it straightened out on Monday. The cdn amount is very high. I don't need to be charged twice.

I just booked one today too but something weird happened. First it took forever to get it booked. After that she took my credit card number and she said it went thru fine. Online I've checked my credit card and even though my credit has been decreased by the amount she called and left me a message late this afternoon to say she forgot to charge me. My credit card number appears in part on the confirmation:confused:. I'm going to have to get it straightened out on Monday. The cdn amount is very high. I don't need to be charged twice.

Good luck! Curious to know if you prefer the retreat cabanas or the Lido cabanas?

Good luck! Curious to know if you prefer the retreat cabanas or the Lido cabanas?

Absolutely. You couldn't pay me enough to take the lido cabanas. They would be too hot and stuffy for me and the noise level would bother me.

Another vote for the retreat cabanas over the Lido cabanas. While you are further from the food, and you don't have convenient pool access, the retreat cabanas are more private and have better airflow.

And spring for one of the two Family Retreat Cabanas. Never mind that they are advertised that way. Even if you don't have a party of four they are worth it. You get nice air circulation from forward and the side. We prefer the starboard side (Costa del Sol). I reserve one as soon as I book a Caribbean. I still haven't decided yet for the Eastern Med.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

And spring for one of the two Family Retreat Cabanas. Never mind that they are advertised that way. Even if you don't have a party of four they are worth it. You get nice air circulation from forward and the side. We prefer the starboard side (Costa del Sol). I reserve one as soon as I book a Caribbean. I still haven't decided yet for the Eastern Med.

Dennis

Curious about the price difference for a week? I never inquired about the family cabanas... But I did check the one out next to our small cabana and it was terrific!