Classic Beverage Package "Know Before You Go"

jer_l

Just off May Infinity trip, upgraded for $10 pp/pday plus 18?%. AS I posted on another bev pkg thread, 1) pick up a bev pkg flyer at Guest Relations at start of your sailing. This shows brands (Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, Beefeaters, etc) available for classic cocktails on board in stock for that sailing.

2) When asking for your preferred cocktail, specify e.g. J Daniels whiskey sour, Cuervo margarita, etc. If you don't specify your liquor, you can get house brand drink. just like at all bars at home.

This is probably the best advice that I have read on any drink package thread. Purchasing the upgrade just for the sake of not having to worry about what is covered or not is just poor logic and bad advice. I wonder how many people order a screwdriver or vodka or gin martini and don't call out the brand? Even if they purchased the upgrade and don't specify brand they are going to use well brands to mix that drink. Honestly even with the included classic package I call the brand that I want in my drink. If it's not covered under the classic they will let you know.

Edited by Iamcruzin

They can't tell you what cocktails are included in classic, because 95% of them (regular cocktails, a/k/a mixed drinks) are, as long as you don't specify that you want one of the Premium brands of liquor.

If they put out a list, and say that Margaritas are included in the classic, and then you order one with a Premium brand, it's NOT included. That alone would likely start causing issues and people would complain that they lied.

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

But in the past they had drink menus which were specific to each bar that weren't just your common mixed drink. Maybe those were the menus they removed or they just priced any Celebrity created drink higher than the classic cut off price and now only display that menu.

Edited by Iamcruzin

OPs experience was much different that what we experienced on the Constellation last month. Yes they had people selling beverage packages & upgrades as we boarded. They were also by the Oceanview everyday for the first week selling upgrades. Just like they do speciality restaurant reservations.

We had the Classic package and the first drinks we ordered, gin & tonic and a Piña Colada were covered. We were not asked if we wanted to upgrade, in fact we asked the bartender to upgrade our packages.

We mostly frequented the Oceanview, Pool and Martini Bars. There were a lot of folks at the Martini Bar happily using their Classis Package for a glass of wine, beer, small martini or cocktail. The bartenders at the 3 bars were very helpful. Before making a drink the bartenders would ask for the Sea Pass card, when someone was ordering a drink over the Classis package they explained that and always offered a alternative within the package.

I am not cruising next until October - last time I upgraded my beverage package in advance which worked really well for us. But this time I have a large amount of OBC - so I would like to use this - so I'll wait until onboard this time.

As much as anyone knows do we expect this to change between now and Oct from an additional $10 pp pd plus 18%?

I was wondering why I just cant ask for any cocktail and if I have the classic package the bartender makes it with the brand of alcohol included on the list.

so if I have the classic package my rum and coke is made with lets say bicardi. if I have the premium package my rum and coke is made with lets say mount gay...

is it really more complicated than that?

I was wondering why I just cant ask for any cocktail and if I have the classic package the bartender makes it with the brand of alcohol included on the list.

so if I have the classic package my rum and coke is made with lets say bicardi. if I have the premium package my rum and coke is made with lets say mount gay...

For basics like rum and coke, rye and ginger ale, or gin and tonic, it works like you said.

But for those looking for a fruity drink with multiple ingredients, or to try something new or different, you have to know what you're asking for because the drink menu drinks are listed above the $8 price point of the classic package.

Edited by meatloafsfan

It does not work that way. Unless you request the brand of liquor, you will get the cheap well brand.

This will happen if you have the classic or premium.

We have the Classic package as a booking bonus, and as long as I can get my Jack and Diet Coke....I am happy. We don't usually drink the foofey drinks. My understanding that Jack Daniels is included....right?

According to the most recent list on the Celebrity Website, JD is included in CP.

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

For basics like rum and coke, rye and ginger ale, or gin and tonic, it works like you said.

But for those looking for a fruity drink with multiple ingredients, or to try something new or different, you have to know what you're asking for because the drink menu drinks are listed above the $8 price point of the classic package.

thank you now I understand the problem. I am going to print the list of classic brands from the celebrity website and also the list of drinks from the link posted above from the other thread. ;)

I plan to be prepared for my cruise alcohol bingeing:D

Personally, 1) I find the class bev pkg a great booking perk and 2) am surprised how much better a premium drink (e.g. Patron and Cointreau margarita) tastes than Cuervo/TripSec. So I find upgrade worth it for sake of avg 5 premium drinks each day. HAPPY CRUISING

Patron and Cointreau were on the classic package list on our cruise 6 months ago. We drank specialty margaritas on the classic package. There is a huge selection of nice brands on the classic package.

We have the Classic package as a booking bonus, and as long as I can get my Jack and Diet Coke....I am happy. We don't usually drink the foofey drinks. My understanding that Jack Daniels is included....right?

Jack Daniels and JD Honey were on the list on our last cruise.

How is it that they can't tell you onboard which beverages/cocktails are covered under the Classic package? Let's say you read the list from these forums ahead of time and specifically ask for one of the listed drinks. Do they all of a sudden know that that particular drink IS covered?

I was already planning to upgrade to Premium, but if they are out of a lot of the better wines, I'll just stick to the Classic package and drink coffee and smoothies. I'll buy myself a couple of nice bottles of wine when I get home and enjoy them post-cruise.

Guest Relations have a list of which drinks are covered by which packages. However you have to know its available to ask for it. They have $ limits on drinks but most bar menus dont have offerings below the classic package limit. We also hit the 'we dont have that wine here' at some bars and complained a couple of times and they went and got it. Celebrity should stop making those with the classic package feel inferior. Instead they should be making them appreciate what a good deal they got by ensuring their guests have full access to all their package includes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patron and Cointreau were on the classic package list on our cruise 6 months ago. We drank specialty margaritas on the classic package. There is a huge selection of nice brands on the classic package.

I believe you got lucky if you got Patron with classic. I have seen Cointreau on classic. My May '14, Dec '14, May 15 trips all had Patron, D Julio on the ship's Premium list and that's consistent with ChelleBee's bev pkg list post #39 above from X website. HAPPY CRUISING

Edited by greydog

I believe you got lucky if you got Patron with classic. I have seen Cointreau on classic. My May '14, Dec '14, May 15 trips all had Patron, D Julio on the ship's Premium list and that's consistent with ChelleBee's bev pkg list post #39 above from X website. HAPPY CRUISING

Patron used to be on the Classic list, but it was changed last May (2014), and it was moved to Premium. Cointreau is on the Classic list.

How is it that they can't tell you onboard which beverages/cocktails are covered under the Classic package? Let's say you read the list from these forums ahead of time and specifically ask for one of the listed drinks. Do they all of a sudden know that that particular drink IS covered?

I was already planning to upgrade to Premium, but if they are out of a lot of the better wines, I'll just stick to the Classic package and drink coffee and smoothies. I'll buy myself a couple of nice bottles of wine when I get home and enjoy them post-cruise.

...and it isn't just the premium wines that they tend to run out of.

On my recent Summit cruise, they ran out of XO cognac on Day 3. They did try to sell us on the upcharge XO, but the extra cost, per shor, was over $30.00....

I told them where to go; how to get there; and what to do upon arrival.

Then I proceeded to complete an ATTENTION TO DETAIL card to make sure that the Beverage Manager was aware of the situation.

Does the drink list you obtain from Guest Relations on board have the wines that are available ?

Not the list I picked up on 2 diff cruises, just liquor brands (and someone pointed out that Canadian Whiskies were not listed) The list looked similar to the bev list at post #39 above.

Just ask your wine sommelier at MDR what's on classic of the type you like such as Rose, merlot, etc. Good Luck

Not the list I picked up on 2 diff cruises, just liquor brands (and someone pointed out that Canadian Whiskies were not listed) The list looked similar to the bev list at post #39 above.

Just ask your wine sommelier at MDR what's on classic of the type you like such as Rose, merlot, etc. Good Luck

Yes this is an issue. I have asked on several threads if Crown is included, but haven't received a response as of yet. It's the 6th most popular spirit in the US, someone must order the stuff!!!

I consider the Classic Package selection acceptable, but the Premium is overpriced for that small difference on the quantity and quality of the inventory. I'm a "scotch" guy, and paying over $100 MORE to drink Glenlivet when I already have Chivas, is not worth the upgrade. I'll pay them if they have Johnny Walker Platinum or above.

That upgrade should be $4.99, not 10.

We upgraded last month to the premium, mostly for better wine choices and ended up being really disappointed with the poor options before dinner. You could only get premium wine in the dining rooms. If we wanted wine before dinner - we got Beringer - the only red wine available in the bars.

I tried a bunch of the different Martinis because we upgraded (I paid for them so wanted to get my money's worth!), but I don't really like them, so I think I'll stay with the classic on our trip in September.

Yes this is an issue. I have asked on several threads if Crown is included, but haven't received a response as of yet. It's the 6th most popular spirit in the US, someone must order the stuff!!!

DH had CR on our last cruise on the Classic package....that was in June 2014.

My husband is a Wild Turkey drinker and it isn't listed (RCL don't have it either), the only cruise he could get it on was Norwegian on Pride of America.

Don't know why they don't have it as it is a different taste to JD and is not as strong as Knob Creek, but if they don't have it he will upgrade to the Premium so he can get Knob Creek.