Can I help with any Malaga queries

campolady

Thanks so much for your info. Still not sure what I will do. Can you rent a

car on the holiday when we dock? Is there a place at the dock to pick one up?

Think you may need to pre-book the car to have it dockside - have only ever seen reserved cars parked there. However, this company offer dockside collection so would be worth sending them an email to find out for sure http://www.cargest.com/malaga-car-hire/malaga_port.php Don't forget that most cars in Spain have manual transmission - you would definitely need to pre-book (and expect to pay much more) if you wanted an automatic.

Edited by campolady

Campolady- Sorry for the delayed response, have been away from computer.

I want to thank you for the suggestions for our overnight stay in Malaga. I will be copying all the info you are giving here for our trip, and because of your kindness we will have a wonderful time in Malaga!

Thank you!

Campolady- Sorry for the delayed response, have been away from computer.

I want to thank you for the suggestions for our overnight stay in Malaga. I will be copying all the info you are giving here for our trip, and because of your kindness we will have a wonderful time in Malaga!

Thank you!

Glad to have been of help llarsen - have a wonderful trip.

Can you tell me where to catch Bus 35 (from the port)? Also, I've been trying to visit welovemalaga.com but keep getting the message "Error estableciendo una conexión con la base de datos." Is their perhaps an alternate website or email? Thanks very much for your help.

Can you tell me where to catch Bus 35 (from the port)? Also, I've been trying to visit welovemalaga.com but keep getting the message "Error estableciendo una conexión con la base de datos." Is their perhaps an alternate website or email? Thanks very much for your help.

I'm getting the same message so their site must be down. Here's their email address: hola@welovemalaga.com. I set up a tour with them, and they were very easy to work with. I've asked for one change to the tour, and they didn't have a problem with it at all, and have been very nice.

The no. 35 bus goes from the Avenida Alameda Principal which is the wide main street that crosses the city. Cross the small road immediately opposite the port entrance and you come to the Alameda Principal after a 2 minute walk. There are several bus stops all next to each other - don't cross the Alameda as the buses go from the port side of the road - all clearly indicating what number buses stop at each one. When you see the stop for the 35 there will be an electric notice board saying how many minutes you have to wait for the next bus.

Alternatively cross the park opposite the port gates and there is another stop for the no. 35 on the prolongation of the Alameda Principal opposite the Hotel AC Malaga Palacio.

The Welovemalaga.com website link seems to be working now http://www.welovemalaga.com/walking-tour-malaga/

Edited by campolady

Campolady,

How would you rate the Arabian Baths in Malaga? They sound interesting but I'm kind of reticent to try them.

Thanks for any info.

Haven't tried the Baths myself but they are extremely popular and friends of ours visit there every time they go into Malaga. You really need to pre-book. These 2 links may be of interest:-

http://malaga.hammamalandalus.com/en

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/arabic-baths.htm

Edited by campolady

We'll be traveling to Malaga Oct 2016 on a budget. Our first cruise to Europe and a bit overwhelmed. Are there any sites within walking distance of the ship or is a tour necessary?[/quote

A tour is completely unnecessary as everything is easily walkable from the port ]- much more fun IMO to just wander round and see things at your own pace. Would suggest you take the shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the port entrance to save a 1.5km walk before you start. You are in the heart of the old city 5 minutes walk from the port entrance and the HOHO bus also goes from there if you want to ride around the city.

The only place not easily reached on foot is the castle (Gibralfaro) which is very high up and much easier reached by bus.

The booklet ' Footsteps through the city of Malaga' that you can buy on Amazon is very useful and suggests several different walks depending on your interests. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Footsteps-Through-City-Malaga-Guide/dp/0956101402

Edited by campolady

A tour is completely unnecessary as everything is easily walkable from the port ]- much more fun IMO to just wander round and see things at your own pace. Would suggest you take the shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the port entrance to save a 1.5km walk before you start. You are in the heart of the old city 5 minutes walk from the port entrance and the HOHO bus also goes from there if you want to ride around the city.

The only place not easily reached on foot is the castle (Gibralfaro) which is very high up and much easier reached by bus.

The booklet ' Footsteps through the city of Malaga' that you can buy on Amazon is very useful and suggests several different walks depending on your interests. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Footsteps-Through-City-Malaga-Guide/dp/0956101402

FYI, the guide has been updated and is now called Walk with Me - Through the City of Malaga. It's currently available on the U.S. Amazon site only as a Kindle book, but I also found it in the Nook store and, according to the author's post on Trip Advisor, it's also available on iTunes. He now includes three different routes from which to choose, with each taking a leisurely two to three hours.

I'm planning to purchase it and choose one of the routes to walk after our food tour in the morning. :)

FYI, the guide has been updated and is now called Walk with Me - Through the City of Malaga. It's currently available on the U.S. Amazon site only as a Kindle book, but I also found it in the Nook store and, according to the author's post on Trip Advisor, it's also available on iTunes. He now includes three different routes from which to choose, with each taking a leisurely two to three hours.

I'm planning to purchase it and choose one of the routes to walk after our food tour in the morning. :)

Thanks for that Quilting-Cruiser.

We'll be traveling to Malaga Oct 2016 on a budget. Our first cruise to Europe and a bit overwhelmed. Are there any sites within walking distance of the ship or is a tour necessary?[/quote

Campolady, thanks so much for the advice! Would you recommend the HOHO bus? Any idea where to pick it up and the cost?

Will definitely look into Footsteps book on Amazon.

Campolady, thanks so much for the advice! Would you recommend the HOHO bus? Any idea where to pick it up and the cost?

You can board the HOHO bus right at the entrance to the port. Think the current price is still 18€ but will double check for you. http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/spain/malaga.htm

The only problem with the bus tour is that, obviously, it cannot go down the narrow streets of the old city but it is a good way of seeing all the major sites including going up to Gibralfaro Castle.

Junglejean - further to my earlier to reply to your question, I have double checked for you and the current HOHO bus fare is still 18 Euros per person.

Campolady, I was just looking at Trip Advisor ratings for restaurants in Malaga and C&C is highly rated and looks wonderful! Is this restaurant easy to get to from the port? Is it near any major sites? If it is, I could time my self-tour to end near there at some point to have a meal....

Thank you!

Campolady, I was just looking at Trip Advisor ratings for restaurants in Malaga and C&C is highly rated and looks wonderful! Is this restaurant easy to get to from the port? Is it near any major sites? If it is, I could time my self-tour to end near there at some point to have a meal....

Thank you!

Its a fair way out of the city centre - you would need a taxi.

Edited by campolady

There are so many good restaurants in the city centre if you don't want to travel outside the centre.

I'm most definitely open to suggestions. I'm thinking just an afternoon snack type of thing as I'm dong the two-hour food tour in the morning and we'll end at a tapas restaurant. Then I'll spend a couple of hours doing one of the walking tours in the Walk With Me guide. I thought it would be nice after that to enjoy some more local food before returning to the ship. Some place that isn't a tourist trap but also has good people watching possibilities would be ideal.

TIA!

Hi Campolady. I was wondering if you would know the answer to this question.

We were hoping to go snorkeling at Playa del canuelo. I think it is near Nerja. I found a taxi that would take us there from the port. I also heard once that there is a shuttle bus that takes you down to the water at Playa del Canuelo. Apparently it is on a cliff.

Does that mean you cant walk down? Also someone thought the shuttle did not run til 1pm. Do you know if that is the case.

Thank you so much

Hi Campolady. I was wondering if you would know the answer to this question.

We were hoping to go snorkeling at Playa del canuelo. I think it is near Nerja. I found a taxi that would take us there from the port. I also heard once that there is a shuttle bus that takes you down to the water at Playa del Canuelo. Apparently it is on a cliff.

Does that mean you cant walk down? Also someone thought the shuttle did not run til 1pm. Do you know if that is the case.

Thank you so much

Playa el Canuelo is 13 kilometres beyond Nerja - between Maro and La Herradura - on the border of the Costa del Sol and Costa Tropical. The shuttle bus doesn't run until 1 p.m. (fare 2 Euros per person) but you can walk down to the cove; it is a steep walk and will take about 15 minutes to get down and twice that to climb back up. Allow plenty of time for your taxi back to Malaga as delays on the motorway at peak times are notorious. http://www.spain-holiday.com/Costa-del-Sol/articles/a-visit-to-the-costa-del-sols-best-beach-playa-el-canuelo

Edited by campolady