Can I help with any Malaga queries

campolady

Thanks for offering to help with questions related to Malaga. We are doing a land tour next year in May and will extend our time in Spain with a few days in Malaga since the tour does not visit the coast. Another reason for our interest in Malaga is that it is close to the Berrocal facilities in Villanueva de Algaidas. We have been admirers of his work for almost 50 years and would love to visit the museum and workshop. However, it is difficult to obtain information. Can you help point me in the right direction? I sent an email to the Berrocal Foundation but have received no response.

We have questions about getting to the museum, how easy is a visit for limited-Spanish speakers, and is the museum worth the effort to get there???

Can you help? Thanks.

There is an email for visits to the area on their webpage that might help. I do not have any personal knowledge of this museum, but now that you brought it to my attention I may try to visit at some point in the future as well.

They appear to only offer guided visits at the moment with no set opening hours.

http://www.berrocal.net/visit/visits_eng.html#precios

visitas@berrocal.net

Thanks for your help. I have already sent a message to the museum asking for help but have not heard back. I will keep hoping to find some useful information. Share whatever you discover please.

Dearest Campolady--

We will be arriving to Palma (via Allure) on Monday, 14 Sep. We are planning on doing our own exploring vs. using the cruiseline tours.

To save time, we are thinking of taking a taxi to the Cathedral La Seu, then walk from there explore the streets of Old Town for a bit.

The concern is, we would like to go to a beach after this. By taxi. One that is a bit away from the city , but not too far by Taxi. (say 10-15 minutes or so). My fear is not being able to find ample taxis back upon the return.

From what I've been reading Playa de Palma or Playa Ca'n Pastilla seem like a good fit. Would we find ample taxis back from there to the Port where Allure docks? Also worried about traffic on that route, returning to the ship. Is this a good plan?

Thank you for your input!!

Edited by ATLfuzzy

Dearest Campolady--

We will be arriving to Palma (via Allure) on Monday, 14 Sep. We are planning on doing our own exploring vs. using the cruiseline tours.

To save time, we are thinking of taking a taxi to the Cathedral La Seu, then walk from there explore the streets of Old Town for a bit.

The concern is, we would like to go to a beach after this. By taxi. One that is a bit away from the city , but not too far by Taxi. (say 10-15 minutes or so). My fear is not being able to find ample taxis back upon the return.

From what I've been reading Playa de Palma or Playa Ca'n Pastilla seem like a good fit. Would we find ample taxis back from there to the Port where Allure docks? Also worried about traffic on that route, returning to the ship. Is this a good plan?

Thank you for your input!!

To get a definitive answer from a local you would be better asking this as a separate Palma question - Malaga is about 600 miles away from Majorca lol. However, we used to have a home in Majorca so I will do my best to answer.

To be honest Playa de Palma/C'an Pastilla (east of Palma) are rather grotty IMO so I would suggest that you go west of Palma to Illetas or Son Caliu which are a similar distance. There are usually plenty of taxis hanging about outside the hotels there and if, for some reason, they are all in use the hotels will always call one for you that would be with you within just a few minutes.

Whether going on to a beach after exploring Palma city is viable depends on your sailing time - Palma itself warrants several hours.

Edited by campolady

Oh my..I am so so sorry and embarrassed......when i posted this I had Majorca on my mind....I scanned your message too quickly..and thought I read "Majorca"...and obviously didn't read it thoroughly. Wrong city. SORRY..thanks anyway xo

To get a definitive answer from a local you would be better asking this as a separate Palma question - Malaga is about 600 miles away from Majorca lol. However, we used to have a home in Majorca so I will do my best to answer.

Oh my..I am so so sorry and embarrassed......when i posted this I had Majorca on my mind....I scanned your message too quickly..and thought I read "Majorca"...and obviously didn't read it thoroughly. Wrong city. SORRY..thanks anyway xo

Easily done!!

Have a wonderful cruise and why not come and see Malaga on your next trip - you won't regret it.

I live 40 minutes away from Malaga.

Having seen a far from complimentary post on here recently - obviously someone who missed all the best bits of the city as they called it smelly and dirty????? - it seems that there is a lack of information available.

If I can help answer any of your queries feel free to ask.

Malaga is a fascinating, vibrant city that should not be missed and not just used as a stepping stone to Granada or Nerja.

We are flying out of Malaga at 7am to Barcelona to join a cruise. We need to return a rental car and are hoping there will be some gas stations open early and close to the airport. Will be driving in from Jimena de la Frontera very early. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are flying out of Malaga at 7am to Barcelona to join a cruise. We need to return a rental car and are hoping there will be some gas stations open early and close to the airport. Will be driving in from Jimena de la Frontera very early. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many of the local rental car companies such as Gold Car actually have you return the car empty, while the international companies tend to use the traditional model.

If I have an early flight, I sometimes just stay at the Tryp Guadalmar near the airport as I save the hassle of the morning drive. I get this hotel for 50 euro plus at times and parking is included. There are other options, but I have used this one for years.

If you are driving late and taking the AP7 you will have a 24 hour Repsol right on the motorway at kilometer 224 at Arroyo de Miel at Torremolinos. If you fill up here you should be fine for the airport with the gauge still on the full mark.

Otherwise you have Repsols at Ave. Velazquez 208 near the airport.

On the Carretera N-340 at kilometer 231.9 you have a 24 hour Repsol.

The Repsol at MANUEL FRAGA IRIBARNE,14 Torremolinos is also 24 hours .

Most of the manned stations are open from 6 am to midnight otherwise.

Edited by MADflyer

campolady, I have just found this thread and it is so informative, thank you! We were in Torremolinos last year for a week long and greatly enjoyed the area. One of the things we most enjoyed was a flamenco show put on at our hotel. Is there any chance at all that we might find some flamenco during the day? We would be looking for something less formal, not necessarily in a theater. Is there any hope for that? Flamenco in Andalusia was spectacular!

campolady, I have just found this thread and it is so informative, thank you! We were in Torremolinos last year for a week long and greatly enjoyed the area. One of the things we most enjoyed was a flamenco show put on at our hotel. Is there any chance at all that we might find some flamenco during the day? We would be looking for something less formal, not necessarily in a theater. Is there any hope for that? Flamenco in Andalusia was spectacular!

Sadly Flamenco is very much a nighttime entertainment - authentic shows never start until at least 9.30 p.m. going on to the wee hours of the following morning.

Your only chance of a daytime show is if the day you are in Malaga is a local fiesta. If you let me know what date you will be in town I will do a search for you to see if it happens to be a holiday.

Edited by campolady

Further to my earlier reply you may find the Malaga Flamenco Museum of interest http://www.malagacar.com/information/malaga_flamenco_museum.htm Should you be in Malaga the first Saturday of the month the museum offers a lunchtime meal with Flamenco performance. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187438-c109265/Malaga:Spain:Malaga.Flamenco.Museum.html

Edited by campolady

Many of the local rental car companies such as Gold Car actually have you return the car empty, while the international companies tend to use the traditional model.

If I have an early flight, I sometimes just stay at the Tryp Guadalmar near the airport as I save the hassle of the morning drive. I get this hotel for 50 euro plus at times and parking is included. There are other options, but I have used this one for years.

If you are driving late and taking the AP7 you will have a 24 hour Repsol right on the motorway at kilometer 224 at Arroyo de Miel at Torremolinos. If you fill up here you should be fine for the airport with the gauge still on the full mark.

Otherwise you have Repsols at Ave. Velazquez 208 near the airport.

On the Carretera N-340 at kilometer 231.9 you have a 24 hour Repsol.

The Repsol at MANUEL FRAGA IRIBARNE,14 Torremolinos is also 24 hours .

Most of the manned stations are open from 6 am to midnight otherwise.

Thank you very much for all that information

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Malaga on October 27th. We are looking for some type of off road adventure. I have seen several that are listed in Costa Del Sol and Marbella. Would this be a possible excursion? We are in Port from 8a-8p. They range from three to six hours. How much time would need to be allowed to get there and back?

I have heard back from a company called Buggy Andalucia and they quoted a price of 50 euros round trip to take us to and from the port. This seems reasonable to me, but I wondered what your thoughts were.

Thanks so much for your assistance!!!

Nancy

We will be in Malaga on October 27th. We are looking for some type of off road adventure. I have seen several that are listed in Costa Del Sol and Marbella. Would this be a possible excursion? We are in Port from 8a-8p. They range from three to six hours. How much time would need to be allowed to get there and back?

I have heard back from a company called Buggy Andalucia and they quoted a price of 50 euros round trip to take us to and from the port. This seems reasonable to me, but I wondered what your thoughts were.

Thanks so much for your assistance!!!

Nancy

Marbella is around a 60-75 minutes drive from Malaga so quite do-able on a 12 hour stay. Other places on the Costa del Sol are nearer e.g. Torremolinos, Benalmadena, Fuengirola and Mijas Costa; other places are beyond Marbella so a longer drive e.g. Estepona.

Buggy Andalucía get very good reviews on Tripadvisor. It is around a 20 kilometre drive to their meeting point at Cartama from Malaga so 50 Euro for a round trip from the port sounds fair for the convenience of a private transfer.

Edited by campolady

This is for campolady

I am interested in going to the caves but cannot find any details on how to get there.

I know there is the public bus (bus M-163 Serramar stop, correct? ) , but once you get off how do you get to the caves?

Is it walkable and how long should it take? Flat ground or uphill?

Could we take a taxi from the bus stop?

How much would a taxi cost from the port?

Thanks

Edited by badatz

This is for campolady

I am interested in going to the caves but cannot find any details on how to get there.

I know there is the public bus (bus M-163 Serramar stop, correct? ) , but once you get off how do you get to the caves?

Is it walkable and how long should it take? Flat ground or uphill?

Could we take a taxi from the bus stop?

How much would a taxi cost from the port?

Thanks

No need for a taxi from the bus stop which is very close to the Cave - will double check for you as to whether any uphill walking is involved. Would think a taxi from the port to the Cave would cost around 25-30 euros but will again double check for you.

Edited by campolady

Thanks Campolady...fabulous thread on Malaga!

I have lots of questions. :D

Last time we were in Malaga on a cruise we rented a car at the train station and drove to Ronda - had been there on a driving tour in 1974 and had always wanted to go back - but - this time we want to see Malaga.

We will be in Malaga on the Zuiderdam on Tuesday October 27. I have read that Mondays are closing days for museums so I think we are ok to get to the Picasso Museum? Do you recommend advance tickets from their website?

Plan on using the HOHO to get our bearings in the City first. Have read somewhere (?) that the signs for the stops of the HOHO are hard to find - some sort of City restrictions? Your experience? In some cities, once you get off to see a site it can be hard to get back on the HOHO - sometimes full buses. Do you know if this is an issue in Malaga?

And finally the most important question - we are addicted to Spanish Hot Chocolate and Churros. Any places you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Doug

And finally the most important question - we are addicted to Spanish Hot Chocolate and Churros. Any places you'd recommend?

Casa Aranda and Café Madrid are two centrally located 'Churrerias' in Malaga.

Casa Aranda

Calle Herrería del Rey, 1

29005 Málaga

Tél. : +34 952 222 812

Café Madrid

Calle de la Calderería, 1

29008 Málaga

Tél. : +34 952 222 102

Casa Aranda tends to win rave reviews but both have their merits.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187438-d1497404-Reviews-Casa_Aranda-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

I have lots of questions. :D

Last time we were in Malaga on a cruise we rented a car at the train station and drove to Ronda - had been there on a driving tour in 1974 and had always wanted to go back - but - this time we want to see Malaga.

We will be in Malaga on the Zuiderdam on Tuesday October 27. I have read that Mondays are closing days for museums so I think we are ok to get to the Picasso Museum? Do you recommend advance tickets from their website?

Plan on using the HOHO to get our bearings in the City first. Have read somewhere (?) that the signs for the stops of the HOHO are hard to find - some sort of City restrictions? Your experience? In some cities, once you get off to see a site it can be hard to get back on the HOHO - sometimes full buses. Do you know if this is an issue in Malaga?

Thanks!

Doug

Unlike many places in Europe, most museums in Malaga are open on Mondays including the Picasso Museum. Queues can be quite long in high Summer but at the end of October you will be able to go straight in so I wouldn't book in advance and be tied to a certain time. This link shows some other museum options open on Mondays http://www.malagainformation.com/museums.html

The HOHO bus goes from immediately outside the port entrance so is very easy to find. These are not as busy as in other major cities - especially out of season - so you should not have any trouble getting seats on buses after visiting the sites.

Casa Aranda is always my choice for Churros and Chocolate. http://casa-aranda.net/

Have a great visit.

Edited by campolady

Unlike many places in Europe, most museums in Malaga are open on Mondays including the Picasso Museum. Queues can be quite long in high Summer but at the end of October you will be able to go straight in so I wouldn't book in advance and be tied to a certain time. This link shows some other museum options open on Mondays http://www.malagainformation.com/museums.html

The HOHO bus goes from immediately outside the port entrance so is very easy to find. These are not as busy as in other major cities - especially out of season - so you should not have any trouble getting seats on buses after visiting the sites.

Casa Aranda is always my choice for Churros and Chocolate. http://casa-aranda.net/

Have a great visit.

Thanks so much - we are there on a Tuesday - does that change anything?

Doug