Can I help with any Malaga queries

campolady

This is for campolady

I am interested in going to the caves but cannot find any details on how to get there.

I know there is the public bus (bus M-163 Serramar stop, correct? ) , but once you get off how do you get to the caves?

Is it walkable and how long should it take? Flat ground or uphill?

Could we take a taxi from the bus stop?

How much would a taxi cost from the port?

Thanks

Have just found that the bus stop is further away from the Cave than I thought - about 700 meters - and the walk is uphill (quite steep towards the end) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.7146176,-4.2972884,3a,75y,356.74h,71.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZxH7RG9pwalO-zCSHSCDBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

You would be unlikely to find a taxi at the Cave bus stop so, if mobility is an issue, a taxi from the port would be a good idea then walk back downhill to the bus stop at the end of your visit.

Edited by campolady

Marbella is around a 60-75 minutes drive from Malaga so quite do-able on a 12 hour stay. Other places on the Costa del Sol are nearer e.g. Torremolinos, Benalmadena, Fuengirola and Mijas Costa; other places are beyond Marbella so a longer drive e.g. Estepona.

Buggy Andalucía get very good reviews on Tripadvisor. It is around a 20 kilometre drive to their meeting point at Cartama from Malaga so 50 Euro for a round trip from the port sounds fair for the convenience of a private transfer.

Thanks so much for that information!!! You were very helpful!!!

Nancy

I am intrigued by Mijas. Since I have seen Alhambra on a previous cruise, would it be a good idea to see Mijas? I have just spent a week in Valencia (which was wonderful), but feel I would like to see something different-so maybe not the city of Malaga. Just thinking, thoughts?

I am intrigued by Mijas. Since I have seen Alhambra on a previous cruise, would it be a good idea to see Mijas? I have just spent a week in Valencia (which was wonderful), but feel I would like to see something different-so maybe not the city of Malaga. Just thinking, thoughts?

Mijas village is attractive - many people find it charming, others find it too touristy; it is a very popular destination for visitors to the Costa del Sol and can get very crowded even out of season. Very hilly so not great if you have any mobility issues. Ideal if you like wandering around craft/gift shops, and the view from the Bull Ring is excellent. Donkey 'Taxis' are available but it is a matter of personal taste as to whether you see these as a charming part of village history or animal abuse. http://www.lacalademijas.co.uk/mijas-donkey-taxis-seen-across-the-world/

http://aboutspaintravel.com/donkeys-in-mijas-spain/

Personally I would stay in Malaga city - very different feel than Valencia being so typically Andalucían - but if you want a change from cities Mijas is easily reached by taxi or you can go by public transport (train to Fuengirola then bus up to Mijas Pueblo). http://andalucia.com/mijas/pueblo.htm

Have a wonderful trip whatever you decide to do.

Edited by campolady

Mijas village is attractive - many people find it charming, others find it too touristy; it is a very popular destination for visitors to the Costa del Sol and can get very crowded even out of season. Very hilly so not great if you have any mobility issues. Ideal if you like wandering around craft/gift shops, and the view from the Bull Ring is excellent. Donkey 'Taxis' are available but it is a matter of personal taste as to whether you see these as a charming part of village history or animal abuse. http://www.lacalademijas.co.uk/mijas-donkey-taxis-seen-across-the-world/

http://aboutspaintravel.com/donkeys-in-mijas-spain/

Personally I would stay in Malaga city - very different feel than Valencia being so typically Andalucían - but if you want a change from cities Mijas is easily reached by taxi or you can go by public transport (train to Fuengirola then bus up to Mijas Pueblo). http://andalucia.com/mijas/pueblo.htm

Have a wonderful trip whatever you decide to do.

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to think about it some more. Yes, I do like charming towns and wandering around, so maybe Mijas is right for me. I also like historical sites, so may still want to think about Malaga tour. You are so kind to be helpful!

Campolady,

We arrive by cruise ship on Oct 27th, 08:00 to 17:00.

We would like to visit Gibralfaro castle, Cathedral, Alcazaba and amphitheater.

Planning on taking the 35 bus to castle first. If we walk down, how far in distance and time? Or if we bus down, where to get off to visit the other sites. Is the port walkable from there? If so, could you recommend a route with streets names; to visit the sites, take in a bar for tapas and wine, and a stop at Casa Aranda for Churros that would be en route to the port so not to back tract.

Ceetee - are you on the Allure of the Seas? If so. Were you aware that we have a large and active roll call thread for the transatlantic sailing? Lots of fun activities planned. Take a look!

Maureen

No, we are on MSC Divina. I love CC events. Unfortunately, this sailing has a very quiet roll call. We only have 89 posts to date, none this week so far. I tried to get 6 people to join a tour to Granada with absolutely no luck. So now switching to plan B and excited to find all we can on our first visit to Malaga.

No, we are on MSC Divina. I love CC events. Unfortunately, this sailing has a very quiet roll call. We only have 89 posts to date, none this week so far. I tried to get 6 people to join a tour to Granada with absolutely no luck. So now switching to plan B and excited to find all we can on our first visit to Malaga.

Malaga will be busy on 10/27 - we are there on the Zuiderdam! In port 9am to 7pm.

Doug

Hi Campolady

We have a group of 12 with a lot of kids and haven't really planned anything for our port day in Malaga. Do you think the best option might be the HOHO? Seems like it might be the best option for transportation to the different sites but how crowded is it at the cruise port to get on the bus?

Thanks.

Malaga will be busy on 10/27 - we are there on the Zuiderdam! In port 9am to 7pm.

Doug

Just around 11,500 passengers expected in Malaga on the 27th of October.

The 212 passenger Windstar Pride will be docked up in the city as well.

Unfortunately due to other commitments I will be unable to spend as much time online for the next few months so will sadly not be available to respond to any questions on this thread.

However, I am sure that people like MadFlyer will be giving invaluable information.

Happy cruising everyone and don't miss exploring wonderful Malaga.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately due to other commitments I will be unable to spend as much time online for the next few months so will sadly not be available to respond to any questions on this thread.

However, I am sure that people like MadFlyer will be giving invaluable information.

Happy cruising everyone and don't miss exploring wonderful Malaga.

I just found this and want to add my thanks. Lots of great information! I hope you will see this eventally, campolady.