Can I help with any Malaga queries

campolady

By the way, after noon tomorrow I will be away for 9 days - fly to Majorca tomorrow and start our cruise on Saturday. Keep any questions coming but don't expect a reply until after 4th July.

Campolady, have a wonderful cruise!!

Thank you so much Quilting-Cruiser - after a horrendous few months (my husband suffered a Cardiac Arrest at home at the end of March followed by a month in hospital and slow convalescence since) I am so ready for the trip.

Thank you so much Quilting-Cruiser - after a horrendous few months (my husband suffered a Cardiac Arrest at home at the end of March followed by a month in hospital and slow convalescence since) I am so ready for the trip.

Oh, you definitely need a cruise! I'm glad your husband is better--that must have been such a difficult time.

• 2 weeks later...

Malaga will be the first Spanish port for us on a transatlantic cruise next spring We are very fond of pulpo gallego which we have enjoyed many times in Barcelona. Can you recommend a good place in Malaga for lunch that serves pulpo gallego?

Malaga will be the first Spanish port for us on a transatlantic cruise next spring We are very fond of pulpo gallego which we have enjoyed many times in Barcelona. Can you recommend a good place in Malaga for lunch that serves pulpo gallego?

It can also be referred to as Pulpo de Feira.

A couple of good options:

Candamil Gallecian specialties.

http://www.restaurantecandamil.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187438-d906977-Reviews-Candamil-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187438-d906977-i121140385-Candamil-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

They are closed Sat. and open from 13:00 to 16:00 and then from 8:30 PMM

Meson Astur is a tapas bar with Asturian and other specialties.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187438-d3791400-Reviews-Meson_Astur-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

They are open from 1:30 PM and are closed on Sundays.

Edited by MADflyer

• 3 weeks later...
Do you think it would be possible to do the WeLoveMalaga tour from 10:00 - 2:00 and still make it to the Nerja caves in the mid afternoon?

Depends what time you are sailing that evening. The Caves are closed from 1-4 p.m. apart from July and August when they do not close for siesta The journey by car from Malaga to Maro (the cave is not actually at Nerja but at Maro 4km further east) takes around 40 minutes and traffic can be heavy late afternoon/early evening which should be scheduled into your return journey time.

The Treasure Cave at Rincon de la Victoria may be a better option for you as it does not close in the afternoon and is much closer to Malaga. http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/things-to-do/the-treasure-cave-p23741 Personally I prefer this to the Nerja Cave as there are far fewer tourists there!

Edited by campolady

Depends what time you are sailing that evening. The Caves are closed from 1-4 p.m. apart from July and August when they do not close for siesta The journey by car from Malaga to Maro (the cave is not actually at Nerja but at Maro 4km further east) takes around 40 minutes and traffic can be heavy late afternoon/early evening which should be scheduled into your return journey time.

The Treasure Cave at Rincon de la Victoria may be a better option for you as it does not close in the afternoon and is much closer to Malaga. http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/things-to-do/the-treasure-cave-p23741 Personally I prefer this to the Nerja Cave as there are far fewer tourists there!

Great information! Thanks so much!!

Hello. We will be in Malaga on Oct 3-5. Thank you for all the great info. We of course want to visit the Alhambra. What is the best way to do that? We're open to any method including a private excursion from our hotel, renting a car or taking a bus. Any help is most appreciated!

Hello. We will be in Malaga on Oct 3-5. Thank you for all the great info. We of course want to visit the Alhambra. What is the best way to do that? We're open to any method including a private excursion from our hotel, renting a car or taking a bus. Any help is most appreciated!

I would go by public transport; organised tours often allow very little time to explore the Alhambra - rent an audio guide and go at your own pace. There is a frequent bus service from Malaga to Granada run by the ALSA company http://www.alsa.es The bus station in Granada is on the outskirts of the city so you can either take a taxi or minibus up to the Alhambra. Don't forget to book your entry tickets well in advance as they sell out quickly http://www.ticketmaster.es/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_alhambra/index.html

Edited by campolady

Is there a bus that goes as far as Treasure Cave? Or can you suggest the best way to travel there after we return to the drop off spot for WeLoveMalaga's walking tour?

Many thanks, Maureen

There is a frequent bus service from Malaga to La Cala de Moral (the area of Rincon de la Victoria where the Cave is located); I will check the numbers for you, and find out how closed to the entrance they stop, and let you know.

A taxi would be another possibility.

Thank you!

It appears to be about 20 minutes outside of town - is that about right?

Yes, about 15-20 minutes by bus. Here are the details for you as promised http://siu.ctmam.ctan.es/es/horarios_lineas_tabla.php?from=1&linea=20

Muelle Heredia is the bus stop right by the port entrance and the Treasure Cave is the 11th stop (very short distances between stops).

Edited by campolady

You can board the HOHO bus right at the entrance to the port. Think the current price is still 18€ but will double check for you. http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/spain/malaga.htm

The only problem with the bus tour is that, obviously, it cannot go down the narrow streets of the old city but it is a good way of seeing all the major sites including going up to Gibralfaro Castle.

Hi there, just wondering if you could give me an idea of the walking distance from where the ship (explorer of the seas) will berth to the entrance to the port?

My partner has mobility issues and can walk short distances without the need for her mobility scooter, and I'm just wondering what the distance would be to decide if that is a feasible option or not.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

Hi there, just wondering if you could give me an idea of the walking distance from where the ship (explorer of the seas) will berth to the entrance to the port?

My partner has mobility issues and can walk short distances without the need for her mobility scooter, and I'm just wondering what the distance would be to decide if that is a feasible option or not.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

It is a 1.5 kilometre walk from the cruise terminal to the port entrance. There is a shuttle train provided by the port though - it cast 3€ last year - so you do not have to walk.

It is a 1.5 kilometre walk from the cruise terminal to the port entrance. There is a shuttle train provided by the port though - it cast 3€ last year - so you do not have to walk.

Thank you so much for the information, that will certainly make things a little easier.

I live 40 minutes away from Malaga.

Having seen a far from complimentary post on here recently - obviously someone who missed all the best bits of the city as they called it smelly and dirty????? - it seems that there is a lack of information available.

If I can help answer any of your queries feel free to ask.

Malaga is a fascinating, vibrant city that should not be missed and not just used as a stepping stone to Granada or Nerja.

Having already visited Granada and the Alhambra Palace on previous cruises

and having had hotel holidays in Fuengirola and Nerja want to see as much of Malaga as possible when NCL Epic calls there on our Christmas cruise. We are in port on 26th Dec. Will be travelling with son, his wife and my twin grandsons and we are thinking of taking the HOHO bus - do you think this will enable us to see most of the sights in a day in port? Don't really want to be herded on to ship's excursions tour buses, involving long stretches on the bus with very little time to enjoy the sights. Thought the HOHO bus would be the ideal solution to keep the twins happy!

What do you think?

Many thanks

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

Having already visited Granada and the Alhambra Palace on previous cruises

and having had hotel holidays in Fuengirola and Nerja want to see as much of Malaga as possible when NCL Epic calls there on our Christmas cruise. We are in port on 26th Dec. Will be travelling with son, his wife and my twin grandsons and we are thinking of taking the HOHO bus - do you think this will enable us to see most of the sights in a day in port? Don't really want to be herded on to ship's excursions tour buses, involving long stretches on the bus with very little time to enjoy the sights. Thought the HOHO bus would be the ideal solution to keep the twins happy!

What do you think?

Many thanks

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

Sounds ideal. With the HOHO bus you see all the major sites (Gibralfaro Castle, Cathedral, Alcazaba etc.) and the weather should hopefully be pleasant enough for you to sit on the open upper deck if you ride between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. (it can be chilly first thing and the temperature drops as soon as the sun starts to go down mid-afternoon).

The 26th December is a normal working day here in Spain not a holiday as in the UK so all the shops will be open if you fancy a mooch around the stores after your bus trip. Your Grandsons may also enjoy a visit round the excellent Motor Museum before returning to your ship.

Thank you for your reply. Think we have made the right decision to take the HOHO bus and will be making our booking through http://www.cit-ss.es/en/malaga who have the Malaga Experience ticket which gives free entrance to the various museums and attractions (unlike some of the other companies I researched).

Pleased to know that everything will be open on the 26th Dec so we can combine sightseeing with some retail therapy!

We are really looking forward to this cruise and thanks again for all the tips you have posted for everyone.

Regards

Suzanne

Thanks for offering to help with questions related to Malaga. We are doing a land tour next year in May and will extend our time in Spain with a few days in Malaga since the tour does not visit the coast. Another reason for our interest in Malaga is that it is close to the Berrocal facilities in Villanueva de Algaidas. We have been admirers of his work for almost 50 years and would love to visit the museum and workshop. However, it is difficult to obtain information. Can you help point me in the right direction? I sent an email to the Berrocal Foundation but have received no response.

We have questions about getting to the museum, how easy is a visit for limited-Spanish speakers, and is the museum worth the effort to get there???

Can you help? Thanks.