Help with Ft Lauderdale Hotels - Area, Amenities

LuCruise

Help! We had pretty much narrowed down our hotel selection for our pre-night cruise to Comfort Suites Inn. It was cheaper than Hyatt and Embassy Suites but same area. Well, now for April for 2 kids and 2 adults, it's sold out (and that's 10 months away!). So need some help.

We would like to keep the cost under $230 CAD. Somewhere to grab quick breakfast nearby (hotel preferred but looks like it can no longer be a requirement) and not far from port or airport as that drives the price up for taxis. We'll be arriving around noon so will have half a day to spend in Fort Lauderdale (but no car).

Would love feedback on:

1. Royal Beach Palace Hotel
  2. Harbor Beach Inn
  3. La Quinta Inn & Suites
  4. Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland Park

And then comparing areas such as

• Downtown Ft Lauderdale
  • Deerfield Beach area
  • Lauderdale-By-The-Sea area
  • Dania area

We are coming from Canada and doing a Caribbean cruise so we don't mind skipping the beach and doing some shopping (of course, that doesn't keep the cost down...ha ha).

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by LuCruise

Help! We had pretty much narrowed down our hotel selection for our pre-night cruise to Comfort Suites Inn. It was cheaper than Hyatt and Embassy Suites but same area. Well, now for April for 2 kids and 2 adults, it's sold out (and that's 10 months away!). So need some help.

We would like to keep the cost under $230 CAD. Somewhere to grab quick breakfast nearby (hotel preferred but looks like it can no longer be a requirement) and not far from port or airport as that drives the price up for taxis. We'll be arriving around noon so will have half a day to spend in Fort Lauderdale (but no car).

Would love feedback on:

1. Royal Beach Palace Hotel
  2. Harbor Beach Inn
  3. La Quinta Inn & Suites
  4. Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland Park

And then comparing areas such as

• Downtown Ft Lauderdale
  • Deerfield Beach area
  • Lauderdale-By-The-Sea area
  • Dania area

We are coming from Canada and doing a Caribbean cruise so we don't mind skipping the beach and doing some shopping (of course, that doesn't keep the cost down...ha ha).

Any help is appreciated.

Allow me to comment on Lauderdale by the Sea, since I live there.

GREAT family-friendly area nestled in between Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach, approximately 10 miles north of FLL airport and Port Everglades (20 minute drive - taxi is approx $30-$35). LBTS is surrounded by lots of independently-run hotels, vacation home rentals, restaurants, bars, shopping, public beach access, fishing pier, water sports, snorkeling, etc.. Easy to get around with or without a car (very walk-able town). There is a free Pelican Hopper shuttle bus that runs between LBTS and Galt Ocean Mile, but if a car is needed, there is a rental car agency near Anglins Square (town center). During season, there is live musical entertainment in the square on Friday and Saturday nights.

Edited by brunello22

Thank you. Good to know about Deerfield Beach. Too pricey for a taxi.

Lauderdale by the Sea sounds nice.

We ended up booking La Quinta to ensure that we don't lose one of our choices this time. It is refundable. It seems good with airport transportation and breakfast included, and shops near by...so I think it will fit our needs for half a day. There's a pool too if our kids want to swim (and of course, we can always taxi to a beach).

So please let me know if anyone has feedback on La Quinta.

Thank you. Good to know about Deerfield Beach. Too pricey for a taxi.

Lauderdale by the Sea sounds nice.

We ended up booking La Quinta to ensure that we don't lose one of our choices this time. It is refundable. It seems good with airport transportation and breakfast included, and shops near by...so I think it will fit our needs for half a day. There's a pool too if our kids want to swim (and of course, we can always taxi to a beach).

So please let me know if anyone has feedback on La Quinta.

Which LaQuinta? If it's the one in Hollywood on 26th Ave. that is a good location for your family. There are shops, movies, places to eat, and Dave & Busters arcade in walking distance. A taxi from there to the port should be under $30 for the carload. The ones in Ft Lauderdale (Cypress Creek and N Federal Hwy locations) are really far from the port and airport.

Edited by royalcruz

Which LaQuinta? If it's the one in Hollywood on 26th Ave. that is a good location for your family. There are shops, movies, places to eat, and Dave & Busters arcade in walking distance. A taxi from there to the port should be under $30 for the carload. The ones in Ft Lauderdale (Cypress Creek and N Federal Hwy locations) are really far from the port and airport.

Yes, that sounds like the one...in Hollywood, near Oakwood Plaza. And I saw a Dave & Busters, TGI Fridays, etc, near by.

Good God not that Ramada!

I think you are making a mistake not taking another look at the Harbor Beach Inn. The location is far superior to the LaQuinta. Tons more to do in the area.

Do you mean because of the beach at Harbor Beach? We're ok with a shopping half day in Ft Lauderdale.

Do you mean because of the beach at Harbor Beach? We're ok with a shopping half day in Ft Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale is world renown for its world class beaches and believe it or not, the majority of our visitors never step foot on a cruise ship. While there is shopping in Oakwood Plaza, it is Marshalls, Kmart, Michaels, etc. In my opinion, a kind of depressing way to start a vaycay.

If you want to really spend half a day with excellent shopping, I'd stay at Sawgrass.

Why just be okay with something? Not meaning to sound snarky at all, it is just a little shocking that anyone would choose an industrial, busy area over the beach.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Fort Lauderdale is world renown for its world class beaches and believe it or not, the majority of our visitors never step foot on a cruise ship. While there is shopping in Oakwood Plaza, it is Marshalls, Kmart, Michaels, etc. In my opinion, a kind of depressing way to start a vaycay.

If you want to really spend half a day with excellent shopping, I'd stay at Sawgrass.

Why just be okay with something? Not meaning to sound snarky at all, it is just a little shocking that anyone would choose an industrial, busy area over the beach.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your vacation!

I'm not taking your post as snarky. I appreciate the advice as I don't know Fort Lauderdale. That's why I post. ;)

So I'm looking at hotels near Sawgrass Mills and the only one I see walkable is Double Tree Hilton. It's a bit out of our price range considering that it doesn't include breakfast or airport transportation.

But let me know if there are any in budget that are walkable. Maybe I'm missing one.

I guess my thinking on a hotel...we're doing a Caribbean cruise so we'll get 3 beach days so an extra day in Fort Lauderdale is not essential. Really for a hotel, our essential is that there is somewhere nearby to grab a light lunch when we get there, something to do for a few hours in the afternoon (things in walking distance...a few stores are good, and/or hotel pool), somewhere to grab dinner, and in the morning breakfast in the hotel is preferred...or very close if not. And hotel must be clean and comfortable.

We have booked La Quinta for now (but fully refundable so we can book something else). The price is ok for Fort Lauderdale standards (still pricey for one night hotel) and includes breakfast and airport shuttle...which is a bonus.

Our family has stayed at B.W. on State Rd. 84. The price always seems reasonable there. It's clean and the beds are comfy. Free breakfast, airport shuttle etc. We travel with our 2 kids. Across the street (not a busy street) is McDonalds, Subway, a sports bar/roadhouse place, a Winn Dixie, little liquor store a few discount stores etc. Better dining options also available close by, but we figure we'll be doing lots of that on the cruise and are quite happy with a sub or fast food for a day or two.

Absolutely!

La Quinta and Comfort Inn are both very comparable and we'd basically spend the half day exploring the shops near by and/or using hotel pool.

Comfort Inn is slightly more money but taxi would be cheaper to cruise port so it's a wash.

So basically it comes down to the shops near by - Harbor Shops vs Oakwood Plaza (not worried about restaurants).

What kind of shops does Harbor Shops have? I don't recognize many names. And is it walkable from Comfort Inn? Google maps seems to show walking on main roads (assuming that 17th street is busy)

I do recognize names at Oakwood Plaza such as KMart (which we used to have in Canada but no longer), Marshals, Old Navy.

If you're looking to do a bit of shopping at large, recognizable stores, then I would suggest Oakwood Plaza area. Harbour shops is not really a mall and has some stores and a grocery store, and a big liquor store, but nothing you could shop for kids clothes, shoes, etc. at. If you zoom in on Google maps, it will show you what stores are in the plaza behind Comfort suites, and also by the LaQuinta.

We are seriously considering laquinta ourselves this year because of the close proximity to stores and good restaurants we'd like to see this year.

If you're looking to do a bit of shopping at large, recognizable stores, then I would suggest Oakwood Plaza area. Harbour shops is not really a mall and has some stores and a grocery store, and a big liquor store, but nothing you could shop for kids clothes, shoes, etc. at. If you zoom in on Google maps, it will show you what stores are in the plaza behind Comfort suites, and also by the LaQuinta.

We are seriously considering laquinta ourselves this year because of the close proximity to stores and good restaurants we'd like to see this year.

Thank you for the input. This is what I'm thinking...that we're better off near stores that we recognize and can do some pre-cruise shopping rather than just browsing at boutique or wine stores.

The pool looks nice too and pretty with the little lake in the background.

Rooms look a bit more modern at Comfort Inn, but both look spacious and fine.

BTW...thanks for the Best Western suggestion. I took a look and it also compares, but just adds more to the confusion, so will stick between these two.;)

La Quinta and Comfort Inn are both very comparable and we'd basically spend the half day exploring the shops near by and/or using hotel pool.

Comfort Inn is slightly more money but taxi would be cheaper to cruise port so it's a wash.

So basically it comes down to the shops near by - Harbor Shops vs Oakwood Plaza (not worried about restaurants).

What kind of shops does Harbor Shops have? I don't recognize many names. And is it walkable from Comfort Inn? Google maps seems to show walking on main roads (assuming that 17th street is busy)

I do recognize names at Oakwood Plaza such as KMart (which we used to have in Canada but no longer), Marshals, Old Navy.

Harbor Shops has a TJ Maxx and across 17th Street there is a Ross. You can definitely walk to them from the Comfort Inn via 17th Street or back streets (the hotel can give you directions or Royalcruz or BlueHerons might jump in with them - I know I've seen them before). While you say you aren't worried about restaurants, with the Comfort Inn you have a wider variety of local restaurants - not just chain restaurants that can be found any where in the US. Should you decide you want to do a little exploring you can also catch the Sun Trolley (one route starts/ends at Harbor Shops) just to sightsee or go to Las Olas and window shop. http://www.suntrolley.com

Good God not that Ramada!

I think you are making a mistake not taking another look at the Harbor Beach Inn. The location is far superior to the LaQuinta. Tons more to do in the area.

Harbor Beach Inn isn't taking reservations for another few months. I just called them and they don't have any reservation calendars prepared yet for next winter.

Harbor Beach Inn isn't taking reservations for another few months. I just called them and they don't have any reservation calendars prepared yet for next winter.

It seems bookable by Expedia. Maybe they are allocated a certain number of rooms so they can start selling them now?

It's just for one day, so you're decision is a good one. It has everything you need.

In the past I would have said that the shopping near Comfort Suites/SE 17th St was dreadful, really nothing there except for grocery/drug/liquor/hardware/optical, and a few random boutiques. A couple of years ago Ross and Dollar Tree opened, and this year TJ Maxx opened. So at least there is something there now, but still not much of a shopping area.

Oakwood has more shops, including Marshalls, and some entertainment, but it's not considered to be as fine a neighborhood as the port area.

America's discount stores really do offer great prices on name brands. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are my favorites. Ross has even lower prices but is not as fashionable IMO.

Edited by royalcruz

PS - Is Comfort Suites on South Federal Hwy a better area (near Embassy Suites at 17th street) than La Quinta?

Looks like it's available again today.

Yes, by a WIDE margin. The area around the LaQuinta can be iffy.

The dining in the port area is far superior. Not even a contest.

It's just for one day, so you're decision is a good one. It has everything you need.

In the past I would have said that the shopping near Comfort Suites/SE 17th St was dreadful, really nothing there except for grocery/drug/liquor/hardware/optical, and a few random boutiques. A couple of years ago Ross and Dollar Tree opened, and this year TJ Maxx opened. So at least there is something there now, but still not much of a shopping area.

Oakwood has more shops, including Marshalls, and some entertainment, but it's not considered to be as fine a neighborhood as the port area.

America's discount stores really do offer great prices on name brands. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are my favorites. Ross has even lower prices but is not as fashionable IMO.

Thank you. Shops that I've noted that we could browse at Oakwood are: Kmart, Marshalls, Old Navy, BJs, Big Lots, Dollar Star.

I believe we can walk to this area, right? I tried looking on goggle maps via street view and I'm only questioning since the sidewalks look narrow. But distance-wise, it states only 16 minute by foot.

Hello...hope you don't mind me stopping in but I'm looking for a hotel within 30 minutes of the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Our cruise is not till October out of Canaveral, but we have to go pick up our son at the Ft. Lauderdale airport tomorrow and we're looking to stay overnight.

Its me, hubby, 2 daughters 4 and 10 and our son who is coming in late tomorrow night. he's 15. Wanted to stay on the beach or very near the beach. Breakfast included is a plus.

HELP! Please. I'm running out of time. (we just found out the flight is coming in at almost 11PM which is why I'm looking so late. Two double beds and a sofa bed would be perfect. If not, we can make do with just two double beds for one night.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you. Shops that I've noted that we could browse at Oakwood are: Kmart, Marshalls, Old Navy, BJs, Big Lots, Dollar Star.

I believe we can walk to this area, right? I tried looking on goggle maps via street view and I'm only questioning since the sidewalks look narrow. But distance-wise, it states only 16 minute by foot.

Hi LuCruise... as a fellow Canuck I'll give my opinion. While LaQuinta is ok - I'm not a fan of Oakwood mall. It's what we here in Canada call a "Box Store Mall'. If you're into HomeDepot - it's the first store you get to and most of the stores are similar. They have K-Mart (think Wal-Mart) which you can go to any time at home - albeat, they're prices are better).

There are eating facilities there, but other than for take-out places I only remember one restaurant that was exceptional (can't remember the name) but it was near the entrance as you walked towards the mall.

Walking distance can be deceptive... We were lucky in that the shuttle driver took us over for free (tip of course), but once we ate and bought some stuff.. the walk back was dark and.. well just a 'little' long. The hotel is basically at a dead end street and we were not comfortable. I especially wouldn't want to be with 'little ones'.

17th Street.. Las Olas area.. Beach area would, in my opinion be better. Good Luck and have a great cruise.

Yes, you can walk, but Kmart/BJs/Big Lots are just under a mile away, so 15-30 minutes walk depending on how fast you walk. There are sidewalks most of the way, as well as walks across the parking lots. Hollywood Ale House is along the way and close, and they have good food. I agree with Toberman that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking on the dead end street at night (in April that means after 7:30), but in the daytime I would do it. It's not the best neighborhood so I don't like going there alone anyway, but I still go.

Edited by royalcruz