Upgrades - When Sold Out?

newbie_mke

Hi,

We are first time cruisers and cruising on June 20th. Have an Obstructed Oceanview Guaranteed. I just looked at the Princess Site, everything except Interior and Suite are Sold Out.

What are chances we get an Upgrade? :-) When can I expect to know?

Cheers!

Hi,

We are first time cruisers and cruising on June 20th. Have an Obstructed Oceanview Guaranteed. I just looked at the Princess Site, everything except Interior and Suite are Sold Out.

Cheers!

There is no way to know, its a crap shoot.

It might be assigned a couple of days before sailing.

Princess has this down to a science.

You will get your cabin assignment at any time up until you arrive at the pier. The only thing guaranteed is your cabin in the category you booked, or better. Anything can happen but chances are better that passengers in obstructed ocean view or oceanview cabins will be offered and upgrade or upsell rather than upgrade you. Edited by Pam in CA

Hi,

Cheers!

Since most people want an upgrade (especially if at no cost), chances are slim.

Obviously you would not be assigned an inside cabin.

If Princess wants to fill the full suites, they can offer upsells or upgrades to those in mimi-suites or balcony cabins. If there are takers, then some in a lower category may be offered their previous cabins.

But sold out means there still could be GTYs for unobstructed oceanview, balconies and mini-suites still to be assigned.

So might you get an upgrade? Always possible. If you get one, it could be to a higher category obstructed oceanview or an unobstructed oceanview.

Once you get your assignment, please come back and let everyone know what happened.

My first Princess cruises, had a balcony guarantee or two...

but for those we got a quick assignment....

Call me crazy, but I booked a guarantee....and have a feeling I will find out at the pier!!

My upcoming cruise is also sold out...

Yep, I did it to myself...

<smacking myself>

Bernadette

Here's an example of what happened to me... for my upcoming cruise to Alaska at the end of June, I had booked an ocean view obstructed guarantee. I then was assigned (same day) an unobstructed ocean view cabin. Then, a few days later, I was offered an upsell (upgrade for a fee) to a balcony.

You just never know, you could likely get an ocean view obstructed, undo or far less likely, a balcony, but don't count on it. You should be able to check your personalizer, or the boarding pass and luggage tags, before heading for the pier and find out what your cabin assignment is.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have figured out when the upsell may come. I keep checking to see what is still availbable on my sailing. On my future Alaska cruise, I noticed a huge amounts of balconies still available , 5 weeks from sail date. My obstructed cabin, only a couple still available. Got the upsell offer and grabbed it. Had it not come, was quite happy with my cabin choice . Same thing happened last year for Alaska but we were too late getting a balcony when the return call came back to us.

I wouldn't count on this happening but really nice when it does. Noticed that

other weeks balcony cabins are gone so I don't think upsells or upgrades will happen on those sailings.I think Upsells are offered if Princess needs your cabin, not because they are just being nice to us.

Our practice is to book the cabin we are perfectly fine with and give the option of them offering an upgrade or upsell that we can accept or decline. It's kinda like a "bird in the hand..." scenario.

On our currently booked voyage in February, we picked an "obstructed" cabin on Royal's Emerald deck because it really isn't obstructed at all but the price reflects the category. If we get an offer to upgrade at no cost (which probably won't happen) or get an upsell to a mini (which is more likely if available) we will make a decision at that time. If nothing happens.....that's fine to because we are where we chose to be.

Will it help to knowyou have company while you wait, NewbieMke?

I am also waiting for an assignment (OC gty leaving one week after you, though different ship and itinerary). We have booked plenty of gty cabins on different lines; if one is flexible (as we are), gty works out fine. My OC category shows sold out as do the next couple Oceanview categories above it. That might mean the line has hidden inventory, or will offer somebody an Upsell, or perhaps they will give us an upgrade. Of course I am hoping for the upgrade, but mostly I'llbe happy to be on the ship.

Please come back and let us know when you get your assignment; I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. If it helps as you wait, we have been to Alaska three times, first in an inside, then twice in obstructed ocean views. Each time we had fun and we were able to find public spots to enjoy the view. The money saved on the cabins was directed toward other vacation pleasures. Wherever your cabin, plan to get out and enjoy the ship.

On our currently booked voyage in February, we picked an "obstructed" cabin on Royal's Emerald deck because it really isn't obstructed at all but the price reflects the category. If we get an offer to upgrade at no cost (which probably won't happen) or get an upsell to a mini (which is more likely if available) we will make a decision at that time. If nothing happens.....that's fine to because we are where we chose to be.
I absolutely loved my Emerald deck "obstructed view" balcony cabin. Loved the quiet, the location near the aft stairs, and the fact that I could check to see if there were Promenade deck loungers available. I wouldn't have changed for a free upgrade or upsell.

I absolutely loved my Emerald deck "obstructed view" balcony cabin. Loved the quiet, the location near the aft stairs, and the fact that I could check to see if there were Promenade deck loungers available. I wouldn't have changed for a free upgrade or upsell.

That's good to hear as we have an "obstructed view" balcony on Emerald deck forward on Royal in August. What made it even better was that we got it for the inside price! Can't wait!!!

Does Princess still sometimes allow people to swap assigned gty cabins for another in same category? They let me do it once, though that was probably about 5 years ago.

OP, if the answer to the above question is yes or maybe, perhaps see if a better cabin is available in your category....maybe E231 is better and is currently available.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise and just get out to enjoy the ship and ports.

To give you an idea of the timeline, we got the upsell offer for a July 18 Alaska cruise this past Tuesday (June 9) at about 7:15pm The offer was balcony to mini suite for $149 per person. I immediately called back and left a message. They finally called back at around 1pm on Thursday and we got it.

To give you an idea of the timeline, we got the upsell offer for a July 18 Alaska cruise this past Tuesday (June 9) at about 7:15pm The offer was balcony to mini suite for $149 per person. I immediately called back and left a message. They finally called back at around 1pm on Thursday and we got it.

Thank you for giving a timeline. The timing of your offer sounds similar to that cited by San Diego Sue.

OP is sailing in 8 days and I sail in 15 days.

If your time line is typical, the first round(s) of Upsell offers for our cruises was likely completed weeks ago. Have people experienced Upsell offers in the final week or two before a cruise, or might Princess be more likely to be in free upgrade mode in the last couple weeks?

Does Princess still sometimes allow people to swap assigned gty cabins for another in same category? They let me do it once, though that was probably about 5 years ago.

OP, if the answer to the above question is yes or maybe, perhaps see if a better cabin is available in your category....maybe E231 is better and is currently available.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise and just get out to enjoy the ship and ports.

Yes, if cabins are available in that category

Yes, if cabins are available in that category

It is very nice that Princess allows such swaps.

OP, see if you can swap to a cabin between life boats for a bit more of a view. I think one is available in your category at the moment. Grab it before somebody else.

Starry Eyes - I called Princess and swapped to E231. Thanks a lot!

Excellent. Those cabins between life boats tend to be the first obstructed ones booked. So, perhaps the person who originally booked it got the upgrade (or upsell), leaving a less obstructed cabin for you. That is the next best thing to getting the upgrade or upsell yourself. Emerald deck, as others have mentioned is convenient, so you should be well positioned.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Starry Eyes

That's exactly why we have booked this cabin (E702) a couple of times on both the Royal and Regal.