Flowrider on Explorer

The Flow rider does have set times its open.

It also has times when its Boogie Boarding and Stand up Surfing at different times.

Just Sign your Waivers and you will get a wrist band at their Sign up stand, and then you will be able to join the Line when you like.

I think you can also book some 1 to 1 time with an instructor too.

You will have a great time on the Flowrider

Keep an eye on the cruise compass for opening times and type of surfing. FlowRider does open quite long throughout the day compare to other activities.

You will just get in line and wait for your turn once you have signed your waiver.

You do get a good several minutes each or sometimes until you fall.

Edited by sky0000547

Best thing to do is look for a cruise compass that matches up with your sailing. When you find one you can figure out what times the flowrider is open during your cruise and if you want to go try it. Usually boogie boarding is in the early afternoon from 1:30 until muster drill time on your first day. That would be a great time to try it out as it should be less busy(just remember to pack a bathing suit in your carry on). Have fun.

Hi, I am a flowrider addict...

I haven't been on the Explorer but in general ships with a single flowrider has stand-up from like 8 to 11 and boogie board after that. I am not sure if they are doing advanced stand-up which is usually 8 to 9 on the explorer. There are height limits for both stand-up and boogie, with stand-up being about 6inches taller. How long you get to go is sort of up to the rider up to a limit which is usually longer than you can go. When you first start stand-up they will usually give you two tries the first time or two.

jc

Hi, I am a flowrider addict...

I haven't been on the Explorer but in general ships with a single flowrider has stand-up from like 8 to 11 and boogie board after that. I am not sure if they are doing advanced stand-up which is usually 8 to 9 on the explorer.

jc

JC, thanks for the info. I am on Indy this October and will have to ride in the morning. It will be first time I will be on a ship with just one wave. I think I will rental it on port days.

We returned from Allure in the med last week. Advanced had 3-5 riders from 9-10 in the morning and open riding from 10-11, which varried from 3 to no more than 7 riders. The longest lines were maybe 20 minutes. It was amazing and they heated the water as well.

JC, thanks for the info. I am on Indy this October and will have to ride in the morning. It will be first time I will be on a ship with just one wave. I think I will rental it on port days.

We returned from Allure in the med last week. Advanced had 3-5 riders from 9-10 in the morning and open riding from 10-11, which varried from 3 to no more than 7 riders. The longest lines were maybe 20 minutes. It was amazing and they heated the water as well.

Andrew

You need to join me on the Navigator next May 2016.... in Norway. :eek: I think the lines will be pretty short....:D

I have read here that on the Navigator that they don't do any advanced stand-up sessions. On the Liberty, Freedom and Independence they usually do on sea days.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

Andrew

You need to join me on the Navigator next May 2016.... in Norway. :eek: I think the lines will be pretty short....:D

I have read here that on the Navigator that they don't do any advanced stand-up sessions. On the Liberty, Freedom and Independence they usually do on sea days.

jc

I will check out the open hours as soon as we board Indy. I planned to rent it out on Allure a few times, but it was so quiet there was no need too. I was invited and joined the sports desk crew one night for 2 hours of "closed" riding. A lot of fun was had that night.

As for Norway, "Det ville være fantastisk", but sadly it doesn't work for my calender. I was hoping to do Explorer in Alaska, but DW said our son is to young for AK. I begged to differ, but she is right.;)

Sounds like long enough, looks exhausting, thanks for info

It is not as easy as it looks--LOL

but wait in line for your turn- as soon as you fall or wipe out your turn is over

Andrew

jc

I was hoping the no Advanced stand-up on Navigator was more of of a Galveston thing than anything else, and they would change the policy once they reposition to FL, since in that market it's more of an expectation (plus more people who cruise RC due to the Flowriders). Every time I went to complain they told me it was because only 2-3 people could ever do advanced anyway, so they never did advanced or BOTB.

I can't imagine you'd have much company at an advanced stand-up session in Norway in May. :eek:

I was hoping the no Advanced stand-up on Navigator was more of of a Galveston thing than anything else, and they would change the policy once they reposition to FL, since in that market it's more of an expectation (plus more people who cruise RC due to the Flowriders). Every time I went to complain they told me it was because only 2-3 people could ever do advanced anyway, so they never did advanced or BOTB.

I can't imagine you'd have much company at an advanced stand-up session in Norway in May. :eek:

Sounds perfect!!! Anyone with experience of how heavy a wet suit you need when the temps are in the 50s....:eek:

jc

You do get a good several minutes each or sometimes until you fall.

The longest stand-up runs are measured in seconds, not minutes. For beginners, 95% of the turn is the time it takes the staff member to load you in and get you steady. Once they let go the ride will last 0-10 seconds. For advanced riders, they will carve, do tricks, and get tired and wipe out within about 30 seconds to a minute. I find the longest rides are when someone gets to the point where they can stand completely still and ride in one spot for an eternity. My family calls that the "statue man". Usually after about a minute the instructors will splash them or do something else to distract them so they fall.

Sounds perfect!!! Anyone with experience of how heavy a wet suit you need when the temps are in the 50s....:eek:

jc

Just hope that they will have them open. :eek: I have heard that under a certain outside temperature they don't run them. I say turn up the water temperatures and add a hot tub to the waiting line-up area.:p

The longest stand-up runs are measured in seconds, not minutes. For beginners, 95% of the turn is the time it takes the staff member to load you in and get you steady. Once they let go the ride will last 0-10 seconds. For advanced riders, they will carve, do tricks, and get tired and wipe out within about 30 seconds to a minute. I find the longest rides are when someone gets to the point where they can stand completely still and ride in one spot for an eternity. My family calls that the "statue man". Usually after about a minute the instructors will splash them or do something else to distract them so they fall.

I calculate 2 minutes per person in line as a solid average. First timers take 2 minutes to load in, give instruction, hold their hand and then the sports staff release their victim.:D Then they get a second quick load in right after. The somewhat better rider loads themselves and falls after 20-40 seconds. A solid rider usually rides for 2-3 minutes and then feels guilty and does something that they know will wipe themselves out. But on average it is usually 2 minutes per person.

I love the expression "statue men". There is also the up and down the wave rider, you know they ride to the top and then down to the bottom of the wave and then repeat the cycle for a minute or so.

I will be unhappy if I drag my happy butt all the way to Norway and the flowrider is closed. I will rider no matter what the temps are... Heck I have surfed in rain, wind and horrible seas.

I know the staff hate cold cloudy, rainy days, but...

jc

I will be unhappy if I drag my happy butt all the way to Norway and the flowrider is closed. I will rider no matter what the temps are... Heck I have surfed in rain, wind and horrible seas.

I know the staff hate cold cloudy, rainy days, but...

jc

That's the spirit, after all they made neoprene for a reason. For high temps they need Vegas misters and for cold days out door heaters or a cantilevered hot tub for the people in line to hang out in.