How to carry $?

bookworm61

We just returned from Europe - 3 weeks, cruise and land. This time we tried something new and it worked very well. I bought some thin (fabric) shorts with large and deep pockets. Then I sewed Velcro onto the pocket openings so we could close the pockets and reinforced the entire pocket by double stitching all around.

Into these shorts went our extra money, credit cards and passports. We wore them over our underwear and under our outer pants. This was the best solution we have ever found. They were extremely comfortable and provided a high level of safety/security for all situations - walking, bus, trains, subway and airplanes. Being thin, they were undetectable and we could sleep in them if necessary. They were easy to wash and dried quickly.

We now jokingly call them our "money shorts". We would never again use an uncomfortable bulging money/passport holder around our waist.

In addition, I use a Pac Safe purse and my husband uses a Pac Safe messenger bag. He is a diabetic and must keep his testing supplies and insulin, along with other medications with him at all times. After many years of traveling, we know and use what works best for us. No fumbling, walk with a purpose and only keep a small amount of money out for the day.

Edited by jkspringtexas
Added reason for husband using a messenger bag.

DW always uses a safety pin to pin the zippers of her purse together!

A small, double (S-shape) carabiner can be used for the same purpose to tie the zipper to the strap or a two-way zipper together. They come in many colors that can match the purse and are less noticeable than the safety pin.

Keeping the wallet in an inside zipper of the purse rather than in the main compartment is also a good idea. Especially if the purse has a lot of inside zippers like the Baggallini purses. One would surely notice when the thief is rummaging inside the purse unzipping several smaller zippers to find the money.

I agree with all your other comments.

We just returned from Europe - 3 weeks, cruise and land. This time we tried something new and it worked very well. I bought some thin (fabric) shorts with large and deep pockets. Then I sewed Velcro onto the pocket openings so we could close the pockets and reinforced the entire pocket by double stitching all around.

Into these shorts went our extra money, credit cards and passports. We wore them over our underwear and under our outer pants. This was the best solution we have ever found. They were extremely comfortable and provided a high level of safety/security for all situations - walking, bus, trains, subway and airplanes. Being thin, they were undetectable and we could sleep in them if necessary. They were easy to wash and dried quickly.

We now jokingly call them our "money shorts". We would never again use an uncomfortable bulging money/passport holder around our waist.

In addition, I use a Pac Safe purse and my husband uses a Pac Safe messenger bag. He is a diabetic and must keep his testing supplies and insulin, along with other medications with him at all times. After many years of traveling, we know and use what works best for us. No fumbling, walk with a purpose and only keep a small amount of money out for the day.

Brilliant idea. You should market it!

I also don't like the money belts, but I use the "extra pocket" that you can buy and wear inside your pants or skirt. It comes with a loop that you can fit over a belt, but I often will just pin it inside my clothing (securely). It's easy to flip it out when needed, but usually I don't need to get into it as I will have a few euro and a single credit card (if needed) in an inside zipped pocket in my purse.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the exchange rate at ATM's regulated (all the same) or is the exchange rate determined by the ATM owner?

A good question with a not so simple answer. ATMs you would use will be part of a network (such as Star, Plus, etc) but this really has little to do with the actual exchange rate. Most international transactions involving North American ATMs are actually processed by Visa International. They set the rate which is based on the current wholesale rate of exchange (this is always changing) plus an additional 1% fee (built into the exchange rate). This is actually the best rate you can get anywhere. In Europe if you use a bank ATM (they are everywhere) we have never been charged any additional fees by that bank. But your home bank may or may not charge fees. In fact, years ago when DW and started extensive travel we moved our major bank accounts to Credit Unions which do not charge any ATM fees. Many US Commercial banks charge ridiculous fees which is why we swore-off commercial banks.

Most European banks have stopped exchanging money (except for their own customers) which now forces those who want to exchange cash to deal with various money changing kiosks. These guys charge you in several ways including discounting the exchange rate and sometimes adding commissions. While none of this is a big deal for those just exchanging a few hundred dollars it does add up for those of us who need lots of money while traveling.

And finally we should mention credit cards. Most charge a foreign transaction fee ranging from about 2.5% to about 4%, But a few credit cards such as the CapitalOne Master Charge and Andrews Federal Credit Union charge zero fees (which is why they are popular with frequent travelers). AMEX (which is not as widely accepted) charges 2.7% on most of their cards except their Platinum which has no foreign transaction fee but does cost $450 a year for the card.

Hank

One place where pickpockets hang out is near signs that say beware of pickpockets. Why so I hear you cry. Well human nature is such that when many see that kind of sign, the inclination is to check where one's wallet it. Guess what? You just gave away where your wallet is!

Personally, I use credit cards for everything everywhere I travel for every purchase large or small. This past June I arrived in Europe with €50, £20 and about $50 US both left over from previous trips and the US money my carry around money I left. Not once in a three week period did I spend any cash and came home with the same bank notes still neatly folded in my wallet. Only way to travel in the 21st century.

One place where pickpockets hang out is near signs that say beware of pickpockets. Why so I hear you cry. Well human nature is such that when many see that kind of sign, the inclination is to check where one's wallet it. Guess what? You just gave away where your wallet is!

Personally, I use credit cards for everything everywhere I travel for every purchase large or small. This past June I arrived in Europe with €50, £20 and about $50 US both left over from previous trips and the US money my carry around money I left. Not once in a three week period did I spend any cash and came home with the same bank notes still neatly folded in my wallet. Only way to travel in the 21st century.

Carrying no cash would be ideal but for some odd reason many of the private tour companies want you to pay the driver in cash at the end of the tour. For a group of 5 people this can be over 500 Euro's. This is a challenge and seems quite unfortunate in this day and age. I assume these tour companies want cash to avoid taxes or card fee's. No other reason that I can think of.

Carrying no cash would be ideal but for some odd reason many of the private tour companies want you to pay the driver in cash at the end of the tour. For a group of 5 people this can be over 500 Euro's. This is a challenge and seems quite unfortunate in this day and age. I assume these tour companies want cash to avoid taxes or card fee's. No other reason that I can think of.

It may also be due to the drivers not having card readers. I have to say that the pickpocket issue is something to be aware of but is not a reason to never use an ATM or carry cash. There are many threads here that concur getting local currency from ATMs is convenient and relatively safe.

Silly as it sounds, we put a portion of our cash divided between DH and I in plastic snack baggies inside and under the insert in our shoes (this is travel to destination).

I also wear a pair of nice black travel pants (that don't zip off, to call attention to them) that have a hidden zipper pocket inside another pocket to put cash in for the day and I pin the zipper as well. Got them from Travel Smith years ago and save them for only travel. DH also has a pair designed for men, they look like Dockers. He also wears a money belt, an actual belt with a zipper inside that goes thru your belt loops.

I also carry a Pac Safe purse cross body, it's a rather stylish purse, (we have seen women wearing a strap with no purse, as it had been cut off, you'd think she would have noticed the weight gone). Some of these purses have clips in them to attach my pocket camera, besides all the clips to keep your zipper tight. My sister in law calls my purse Fort Knox. Most pick pockets will move on to easier prey and leave me alone.

Ok, if you have money and CC in your shoes, underwear, bra, belt, pinned to your pants, etc. how do you get your cash out to buy anything? This makes me think of the couple I saw in Rome with the woman reaching inside the man's shirt to unzip his money pouch to get some cash to buy gelato.

A handful of Euro for taxi or a cold drink.

Plastic for everything else, grab some more Euro at an ATM if needed.

This is what we do. You'll also need cash for trinkets, but more formal shops will also take credit cards.

We don't ever bother with exchanging cash before leaving, or even changing cash airport currency exchanges. ATM's all the time now.