NCL vs Royal Caribbean

talyman2001

So far I have only cruised twice (although thanks to research here on CruiseCritic, I consider myself an experienced cruiser!) My wife and I did a back to back on the Pearl for our honeymoon in January 2011, which was an amazing cruise, and a week to Bermuda on the Dawn in October 2014 which was a good cruise, but not as good as my Pearl cruise. I am booked on an Alaska cruise on the Jewel in September 2016.

I have been looking at the Quantum class on Royal Caribbean, and am very intrigued. I am hoping for some input from people who have cruised both and can give me any differences, both good and bad between the two. Thank you very much.

So far I have only cruised twice (although thanks to research here on CruiseCritic, I consider myself an experienced cruiser!) My wife and I did a back to back on the Pearl for our honeymoon in January 2011, which was an amazing cruise, and a week to Bermuda on the Dawn in October 2014 which was a good cruise, but not as good as my Pearl cruise. I am booked on an Alaska cruise on the Jewel in September 2016.

I have been looking at the Quantum class on Royal Caribbean, and am very intrigued. I am hoping for some input from people who have cruised both and can give me any differences, both good and bad between the two. Thank you very much.

The two lines are fairly comparable. The biggest difference you will see going to the Quantum class (or even the away ships on NCL) is the size of the ships and the amount of activities on the newer larger ships. You have only done smaller NCL ships up till now. The new ships have all sorts of crazy features such as water slides, rope courses, robotic bars, surf simulators, even things as crazy as bumper cars, skydiving simulators, fireworks, or trips over the side of the boat in a glass ball (features vary from ship to ship). I used to sail the smaller ships, but have recently switched to the larger ships because there is just so much to do its crazy.

6&8

OP: if you haven't already done so, you should consider asking your question on the RCI board as well.

My spouse and I have taken 6 cruises on NCL (among our other cruises), but have our first on RCI coming up this fall (the Anthem TA), so I've been spending time on the RCI board and the "countdown to Quantum" subforum. IIRC, the other day someone told a poster that if she liked Quantum/Anthem, she'd like NCL.

But as noted in the comment above, Quantum is a completely different type of ship from the Dawn and the Pearl. Not only is it much larger, but in some respects it is more like a floating amusement park. So do be prepared for those big differences.

Also, RCI does not have true freestyle dining as NCL does. Quantum is the first RCI ship to implement "Dynamic Dining." There's no MDR, and you can eat at no extra charge in five different venues on whatever nights you want, all much smaller than an MDR, and so most folks seems to be making reservations in advance, which to me defeats the apparent purpose of being more like "freestyle." There are also specialty dining venues, and the buffet.

I have sailed both, too. Like both. Been sailing NCL more recently, though. The entertainment on NCL is better. And, the Freestyle concept is more to my liking. Just show up to whatever restaurant you want when you're hungry.

As noted in many threads, dress code is very relaxed on both these days. But, you'll find fewer "suits" on NCL than RCCI, even though you don't find many on RCCL, either.

Lots to do on both lines...especially the bigger ships. Service has been a tad better on NCL than on RCCL. That doesn't mean service was anywhere near bad on Royal, though.

Hard not to have fun on any cruiseline, on any ship....unless you try really hard.

We have cruised both NCL and RCL. Loved both and as previously noted, the Freestyle Dining sways us to NCL more often than RCL. Have been on every NCL ship, but not every RCL Ship and none of the bigger ones (Oasis, Allure, Quantum) but looking forward to it sometime in the future. It was explained to me once that the smaller ships are a way to get to your destination, and the larger ships are a destination in themselves.

We have cruises booked on both lines and will continue to do so as the opportunities arise.

Turtles, I did post this to the RCL board as well. Surprised I thought of it. Good ideas are not usually my strong suit. :) I am getting good answers from both boards, so thank you for that!!! The Freestyle dining is why we decided to do NCL when we first started researching cruises back in '09. I am looking forward to trying one of NCL's bigger ships as well. We are thinking of trying the Getaway in a couple years.

We have been on every class of RCCL ship and have also been on the Pearl and the Epic. We loved the Pearl and were on it for it's first month. We were on the inaugural Epic cruise in the Caribbean and really did not like the layout of the rooms- really weird bathroom design and small, curved cabins. That being said, it is always great to be on a newer ship. We choose cruises by looking at the itinerary and price. We are booked on the Escape in December and are looking forward to another new ship. Can't go wrong either way!

I agree with most of what has been said, but will add that RCI still has a few 'formal' nights, where most will at least put on a tie and jacket (but not all). NCL's 'dress up, or not', has a lot fewer dressing up....

RCI still offers traditional dining on most of its ships, either assigned or anytime, and even the new 'Dynamic Dining' has an optional fixed where they follow the Disney model and rotate dining rooms with your assigned table and waiter.

Achieving top-tier loyalty status is much easier on NCL.

I would agree that entertainment on NCL is a bit better in general, but RCI's ship's have a slight edge in amusements offered.

And I like NCL's rewards for participating in Organised Staff Activities, where you can accumulate points and redeem them for logo merchandise at cruise end. Winners of the activities get extra points, on RCI only the winners receive anything, and what they receive are pretty 'lame' compared to what NCL offers.

Food overall is about the same on both. If you like ice cream, NCL wins easily.

There are other points plus or minus on either, but we have cruised NCL eight times and RCI four times and love them both....:)

RCI had the best soup ever on Mariner of the Seas, NCL better entertainment and better trivia prizes. We are itinerary oriented, done mostly NCL so far, but want to do some Pacific cruising, looking at RCI and perhaps trying HAL for the right cruise at the right price. Can't see paying for a floating amusement park, as we ignore the ones on land.

I would agree that entertainment on NCL is a bit better in general, but RCI's ship's have a slight edge in amusements offered.

NCL has certainly enjoyed a reputation for better entertainment, but we were on the Gem last month, our 6th NCL cruise, and found the entertainment this time around to be quite disappointing, including lame production shows. The OP is considering sailing on RCI's Quantum class, which has several shows created just for those ships that have been getting pretty rave reviews (including a full-scale production of We Will Rock You on Anthem of the Seas).

NCL has certainly enjoyed a reputation for better entertainment, but we were on the Gem last month, our 6th NCL cruise, and found the entertainment this time around to be quite disappointing, including lame production shows. The OP is considering sailing on RCI's Quantum class, which has several shows created just for those ships that have been getting pretty rave reviews (including a full-scale production of We Will Rock You on Anthem of the Seas).

I'll have to concede that point to you...The production of "Momma Mia" I saw on the Quantum, was the best show I have ever seen at sea...by contract with the owner's of that show, it had to be a complete, uncut duplicate of the Broadway production, even down to the intermission, and the choreographed "curtain call" at the conclusion. And the talent was much better than the usual seen on ships. They even had screens at the theater entrance scrolling the bio's, Playbill style, of the cast. They also had a terrific tribute Bon Jovi band. And they also had some other neat innovative shows.

By contrast, the Breakaway's "Rock of Ages" seemed to be a slightly condensed version of the original, but was very enjoyable nonetheless...

The Breakaway also had Slam Allen doing a great show when I was on board.

The regular bands and music on both were about equal, but I believe NCL has better 'guest' entertainer's such as comedian's, etc.

OP - what do you like to do on the ships?

One thing I like about the loyalty program with RCCL is the balcony discount that applies no matter the sailing...whereas for NCL, I don't see much of a benefit in booking.

With that said, NCL has more for my kids to do (minus kids club) so our last few cruises have been with NCL. When the RCCL Harmony is out - we will be going back!!!