Seattle to Vancouver Amtrak Question

jormot

We have decided to move our reservation from R/T Seattle to R/T Vancouver but are still going to fly into Seattle to save some cash. Our idea is to take the Amtrak the morning of the cruise to Vancouver. My only concern is going in the morning of. I know flying in the day of is such a bad idea but I have little experience with Amtrak. Has anyone taken the train to Vancouver the morning of? What was your experience? Has anyone missed the boat due to Amtrak issues? I can't believe how much effort has gone into this trip and we are still a year off!!!!

Sincerely, I have never heard of a significant train delay during the cruise season that has signicantly impacted anyone's arrival in Vancouver. Any delayed arrival would be measured in minutes. The train station to Canada Place is about 7 1/2 minutes by cab.

Also keep in mind that when something DOES come up, Amtrak will run additional buses to Vancouver.

And, you're only 150 miles away from the pier.... worse comes to worse you can rent a car and drive ! Or use one of the other options (Quick Coach, Bolt Bus, Greyhound, cruiseline transfer. It's not like you'd be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no alternatives.

We just took the Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver and back. We were "lucky" and were delayed. There was an engine issue, so they had to do some maneuvering, but got us on the tracks an hour late. Because we were late, there are schedule times for trains at certain spots and we had to slow for the scheduled train to pass those locations.

We did get to Vancouver by 12:45. I think we were actually lucky being late (even though I had to calm myself down and repeat "the ship doesn't leave until 5" over and over) because when we did start the check in and immigration process, it took us 15 minutes.

On the way back to Seattle, we had a 5 minute delay.

I echo the sentiment that you should be all right. You are almost there... and barring any extraordinary circumstances, you will make it one way or another. I have taken this exact train ride and it is beautiful. I would caution you, though, that the line at King Street Station in Seattle is very long. Unless you have purchased Business Class tickets which has their own dedicated check-in line at the station, you really should plan to be there very early. We arrived at about 6 am and I was shocked at how many people were already there.

Just a heads up. :) It will be an early start!

• 4 weeks later...
We have purchased business class tickets for the morning Amtrak Seattle-Vancouver trip. What time do we need to be at the station?

If you want to check your bags, be aware there is a strict bag drop cutoff at 45mins before departure - not 'be in the queue to drop bags by T-45' but 'physically hand your bag to the station staff by no later than T-45.'

If you are carrying on your own bags (Amtrak is pretty generous with bag sizes, up to 2 per person weighing 50lbs each) you can show up much closer to departure (30 mins is what Amtrak recommends, but I've arrived at Vancouver 20 mins and Portland 5 mins before departure without any problems). However, unless you have booked specific seats already you'll still be allocated those first-come, first-served at King St and most folks will ask for the water side seats (which are also the doubles in bus class, with the singles on the side away from the water).

In short, to maximise your chance at a seat with a view, I'd suggest being there at least 30mins early - and an hour if you need to check bags.

We do this train route a couple times a year for cruise connections.

One time last year the train did break down, delaying the journey by about an hour and a half while they waited for a replacement engine car to arrive so even in the worst case scenario I think you'll still have plenty of time.

Just a heads up that the food is terrible (microwaved) and runs out so pick up something to eat prior to the train. The Seattle train station does not have food outlets so maybe grab a subway sandwich at the airport.

If you want to check your bags, be aware there is a strict bag drop cutoff at 45mins before departure - not 'be in the queue to drop bags by T-45' but 'physically hand your bag to the station staff by no later than T-45.'

If you are carrying on your own bags (Amtrak is pretty generous with bag sizes, up to 2 per person weighing 50lbs each) you can show up much closer to departure (30 mins is what Amtrak recommends, but I've arrived at Vancouver 20 mins and Portland 5 mins before departure without any problems). However, unless you have booked specific seats already you'll still be allocated those first-come, first-served at King St and most folks will ask for the water side seats (which are also the doubles in bus class, with the singles on the side away from the water).

In short, to maximise your chance at a seat with a view, I'd suggest being there at least 30mins early - and an hour if you need to check bags.

Are you saying it's possible to book specific business class seats in advance? If so, how do I do this?

Are you saying it's possible to book specific business class seats in advance? If so, how do I do this?

Phone the station or go in person a day or two before. We do the latter the day before our train - it's very convenient as we live close by the station here in Vancouver. This close to departure they have very accurate numbers, so the odds of adding or removing carriages is very low.

To be fair it's been a couple of years since we actually traveled in Bus Class on the Cascades, as the good deals stopped allowing upgrades just coach class seats - so it's possible that they no longer take advance seat reservations. Amtrak website merely says it varies based on each train route so some do, some don't.

Edited by martincath

We have business class seats booked also and there is not an option to choose seats in advance unless that has changed recently.

There is no advance seat selection however if you get to the station early there is a person there assigning seats to b/c pax....so the earlier you are there the better the selection.

There is no advance seat selection however if you get to the station early there is a person there assigning seats to b/c pax....so the earlier you are there the better the selection.

Thanks for this info. I called Amtrak and they told me the same thing although they had no advice about how early to get to the station for the 7:45 train.

Thanks for this info. I called Amtrak and they told me the same thing although they had no advice about how early to get to the station for the 7:45 train.

Thanks for calling and confirming. Everything I have seen up until this thread was no assigned seats.

I have read many of the Amtrak threads and some suggest getting to station as early as 6 am. Checked bags need to be checked in 45 minutes prior so that puts us back to 7am. I haven't talked it out with my DH yet, but I think we are going to get to the station between 6 and 6:15. Business class has dedicated lines, so that will help but I still want two seats together, which will mean the more popular side of the car in business class. We would be fine with the single seat side of the car but would prefer the other.

...but I think we are going to get to the station between 6 and 6:15. Business class has dedicated lines, so that will help but I still want two seats together, which will mean the more popular side of the car in business class. We would be fine with the single seat side of the car but would prefer the other.

Yes, that is exactly the only configuration they had left when we did this. We took the singles across the aisle from each other but it was kind of a drag. I let him have the window. :)

I think more and more people are beginning to realize the beauty of Business Class. Yes, the seats are more expensive BUT the best part, in my book, is being allowed off the train first to go through Customs in Vancouver. This alone is worth it if you are on a very full train.

So my coworkers have said the train station and the cruise port are right next to each other. I was planning on taking the train from Mount Vernon to Vancouver....Do I need to take a cab?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Your coworkers either mean Skytrain, have extraordinarily long legs, or are just plain wrong.

The Amtrak station (Pacific Central) isn't very far, ~1.5 miles, but unless you're traveling very light you will need a cab. If you only have a carryon/backpack, Skytrain is an option, but there is nowhere to put large suitcases on the older lines which run from beside Pacific Central to Waterfront, which is basically just beside Canada Place.

I'd always take a cab with typical cruise luggage - expect to pay $10 to get near CP, then an extra few bucks while the meter ticks up as you wait in the long line of cabs to enter the pier. Or just get out nearby and walk in - same entrance as the Pan Pacific hotel leads you right up the main internal corridor toward the luggage drop & cruise check in at the far end.

Your coworkers either mean Skytrain, have extraordinarily long legs, or are just plain wrong.

The Amtrak station (Pacific Central) isn't very far, ~1.5 miles, but unless you're traveling very light you will need a cab. If you only have a carryon/backpack, Skytrain is an option, but there is nowhere to put large suitcases on the older lines which run from beside Pacific Central to Waterfront, which is basically just beside Canada Place.

I'd always take a cab with typical cruise luggage - expect to pay $10 to get near CP, then an extra few bucks while the meter ticks up as you wait in the long line of cabs to enter the pier. Or just get out nearby and walk in - same entrance as the Pan Pacific hotel leads you right up the main internal corridor toward the luggage drop & cruise check in at the far end.

Hm.... I am going on the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to California, so I was going to pack my rolling carryon and a messenger bag (maybe a sleeping bag for the last part of my trip). Hmmmmmm.... thinking thinking.

Waterfront station which is next door to Canada Place is the old CP train station now used as a terminus for our rapid transit, sea bus and west coast commuter express routes - Amtrak and Greyhound use the old CN station - AKA - Pacific Central station for long distance Amtrak and Via rail services.

While you could take Skytrain from Waterfront to Pacific Central as others have stated those cars aren't all that great for luggage - a cab would cost between $10 - $15.00.

Hope this clears up the confusion on the train stations.

Cheers!

Dennis

Hm.... I am going on the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to California, so I was going to pack my rolling carryon and a messenger bag (maybe a sleeping bag for the last part of my trip). Hmmmmmm.... thinking thinking.

While for a number of reasons I personally wouldn't use SkyTrain to get from Pacific Central Station to Waterfront Station and then walk to Canada Place. However, with the luggage you are talking about you will have no problem. The fare is $2.75 pp so if you are alone then its a deal but if there are 2 or more of you then you may care to opt for the $10 cab fare and avoid having to schlep your luggage around town.