Review of our 13-day Princess Connoisseur Tour - Part 1 - Land Tour

pklein9747

We have just returned from a 13-day Southbound Princess Connoisseur Tour with the land portion first and then 7 days on the Grand Princess. We also scheduled one additional night in Fairbanks at the beginning of the trip and, at the end, 2 nights in Vancouver and 3 nights in Seattle.

We had the most amazing trip! In fact, we have referred to this trip as our "Lucky" trip as the weather was amazing with only one day of significant rain and temps were mostly in the 70's. Great weather meant great views and opportunities to see lots of animals.

Because I couldn't get enough of all the reviews on CC and learned so much from them, I have written a review on my blog: http://cruiselovers.blogspot.com This first review is just on the land portion. I will hopefully get around to reviewing the cruise portion and our post cruise over the next week.

And if you have questions...ask away. Our trip would not have been as successful without all the answers I received on these boards.

Pat

Thanks for a wonderful land tour review and great photos, especially those taken during the TWT. Looking forward to your review of the cruise portion.

On the TWT: during the times the driver stopped along the way for photo ops (other than the bathroom breaks), were you ever allowed to get off the bus for better views? Or did you have to take all photos from inside the bus?

Thanks for a wonderful land tour review and great photos, especially those taken during the TWT. Looking forward to your review of the cruise portion.

On the TWT: during the times the driver stopped along the way for photo ops (other than the bathroom breaks), were you ever allowed to get off the bus for better views? Or did you have to take all photos from inside the bus?

There was one stop along the way, along a ridge where we were allowed out of the bus to take pictures of the scenery (the picture at the beginning of the bus and the one of the winding road were taken there). Otherwise, we took pictures from within the bus. When we stopped for animals, most people put the windows down and were generous in stepping aside to let those from the other side of the bus get in and take photos.

Pat, Thank you so much for the detailed review and pictures. We decided against the Connoisseur Tour because one was not available that included all the places we wanted to go. I was also disappointed to hear that they don't run the double decker train between Talkeetna and Whittier. I was sooo looking forward to that. Oh well...I'm sure everything will be great and I can't wait to go!

Thanks again for posting your review.

It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 with a 24x optical zoom. I had seen a review a year ago by someone who had used the camera and I was very impressed. Purchased mine on Amazon and it is a great camera and easy to use. I did take a class at our local adult school, but it wasn't necessary. The automatic settings do almost everything you need. You can go to the photos and camera section of the cruise critic forums and there is a great thread just for this camera.

Thank you very much for your review. We are doing the same type of tour (but with Kenai added) and then a southbound cruise on the Coral in August. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits of the connoisseur tour.

I have us signed up for the Tundra Mountain golfing excursion as we are avid golfers. Your review was the first one I have seen and am now thinking of canceling. I certainly was not expecting a well manicured course, but thought we would enjoy the scenery and have fun saying "we played golf in Alaska". The course from it's website does not look as bad as you describe but you were there. Was the scenery worth while? did you see anything you did not see on the rest of your tour? I'd just as soon rest at the lodge or walk one of the trails instead of spending an afternoon of golf if it was really that bad....Thanks for your input.

Thank you very much for your review. We are doing the same type of tour (but with Kenai added) and then a southbound cruise on the Coral in August. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits of the connoisseur tour.

I have us signed up for the Tundra Mountain golfing excursion as we are avid golfers. Your review was the first one I have seen and am now thinking of canceling. I certainly was not expecting a well manicured course, but thought we would enjoy the scenery and have fun saying "we played golf in Alaska". The course from it's website does not look as bad as you describe but you were there. Was the scenery worth while? did you see anything you did not see on the rest of your tour? I'd just as soon rest at the lodge or walk one of the trails instead of spending an afternoon of golf if it was really that bad....Thanks for your input.

I, too, had gone to Black Diamond's website and viewed their videos. And we were going to play for the same reason...Golf under the Midnight Sun in Alaska... How cool! We live in a golfing community and play mostly for fun...we're not good by any means but enjoy the sport. Unfortunately, the course barely resembles the video on the webpage. The scenery is of mountains...nothing that you won't see over and over again on your trip. You'd be better off saving that money and spending it on another worthwhile excursion during the trip.

It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 with a 24x optical zoom. I had seen a review a year ago by someone who had used the camera and I was very impressed. Purchased mine on Amazon and it is a great camera and easy to use. I did take a class at our local adult school, but it wasn't necessary. The automatic settings do almost everything you need. You can go to the photos and camera section of the cruise critic forums and there is a great thread just for this camera.

Thanks. My husband had asked. He just bought a new camera, a Canon with a few different lens. He may want to rethink that now. He had a nice camera but wanted something that he could take really nice pictures and zoom in. We both loved your review.

Thanks so much for your review of your trip. The pictures were great and really brought your trip to life. We are going to be at similar lodges in Alaska ending with the train to our ship. Now we have a better idea of what to expect.

We have just returned from a 13-day Southbound Princess Connoisseur Tour with the land portion first and then 7 days on the Grand Princess. We also scheduled one additional night in Fairbanks at the beginning of the trip and, at the end, 2 nights in Vancouver and 3 nights in Seattle.

We had the most amazing trip! In fact, we have referred to this trip as our "Lucky" trip as the weather was amazing with only one day of significant rain and temps were mostly in the 70's. Great weather meant great views and opportunities to see lots of animals.

Because I couldn't get enough of all the reviews on CC and learned so much from them, I have written a review on my blog: http://cruiselovers.blogspot.com This first review is just on the land portion. I will hopefully get around to reviewing the cruise portion and our post cruise over the next week. Pat

(from "2015 Trip Report" thread)

13-day Princess Connoisseur Cruisetour on the Grand Princess with a post cruise in Vancouver and Seattle

I have the reviews on my blog: http://cruiselovers.blogspot.com

It is in several parts. Part 1 - the land portion is complete. Part 2 - the review of the cruise is up but I keep adding to it every day. Only have one more day to add. I will add Part 3 - Post cruise in Vancouver and Seattle over the next week.

Thanks for completing your Part 2 blog for the cruise portion. I very much enjoyed it as much as your land tour review. Great photos. Looking forward to Part 3!

(Maybe you should consider starting a new thread for the Part 2 review, so others can post comments or questions that are specific to the cruise. It might get overlooked otherwise, because this thread is titled "Part 1". I took your second quote from the "2015 Trip Report" thread.)

I loved reading your review. We are traveling on the Holland Oosterdam in July doing the cruise tour. We are doing a lot of the same activities. In Juneau we are doing the whale watch with Harv and Marv, Skagway-trip up the Klondike highway with Trails of 98 and in Ketchikan-Misty Fjords with Island Wings. Loved your beautiful pictures!!! Amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Thanks for completing your Part 2 blog for the cruise portion. I very much enjoyed it as much as your land tour review. Great photos. Looking forward to Part 3!

(Maybe you should consider starting a new thread for the Part 2 review, so others can post comments or questions that are specific to the cruise. It might get overlooked otherwise, because this thread is titled "Part 1". I took your second quote from the "2015 Trip Report" thread.)

Thanks...I still have one more day (sea day) to complete for the cruise portion and then will start a new post with Part 2.