Yes, there is an upgrade fairy!

rpcv77

I am not nearly as experienced as many here. My understanding is as follows.

If you absolutely do not want to move, have your TA Mark your reservation "no upgrade".

If you will only want an upgrade to a higher category (not within your current category) have reservation marked meta upgrade only.

Even with all of this, I have heard of cases where Princess still moved folks to places they did not want to be, though folks were sometimes able to go back to their original cabin.

We marked meta upgrade only, and did not find out about our good fortune until we were checking in at the pier. We were so surprised, that we thought it was a mistake. At present it seems that free upgrades are becoming increasingly rare.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your input. We'll see what happens!:D

Is it typical for a cruise lines to ask you if you want to get a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking? I'm a first time cruiser and I wasn't sure if I should say yes. We currently have a balcony room booked mid ship. We chose this option because of the potential for motion sickness. We were asked if we would want to get upgraded to a mini-suite, if one should become available. Any thoughts?

Free upgrades are becoming scarce. Also even with a meta-upgrade to a mini, you could end up at the very front or very back of the ship. There could be more motion for you in these areas.

Free upgrades are becoming scarce. Also even with a meta-upgrade to a mini, you could end up at the very front or very back of the ship. There could be more motion for you in these areas.

Thanks for the tip. I certainly don't want to have a stateroom anywhere other than the mid ship. Is it possible that they would give us an upgrade at the time of check in? If they do, can we decline it at that point?

It is far more likely that you would be offered an Upsell than receive a free upgrade. In that case you will know exactly where the new cabin is located and how much it will cost you for the upsell. You can accept or refuse the offer at that time.

We accepted one for last month and refused one for the end of 2015. You can look at your cruise and see how many cabins appear to be available. That will give you some idea if an upsell may be possible.

Enjoy your cruise.

It is far more likely that you would be offered an Upsell than receive a free upgrade. In that case you will know exactly where the new cabin is located and how much it will cost you for the upsell. You can accept or refuse the offer at that time.

We accepted one for last month and refused one for the end of 2015. You can look at your cruise and see how many cabins appear to be available. That will give you some idea if an upsell may be possible.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the tip. We are currently booked for a balcony stateroom, mid ship. It appears that all of the mini-suites are sold out. As for paying for an upsell, we'll pass on that. I believe we'll be happy with our original choice.

The Upgrade Fairy is alive and well. Just last week, we received an upgrade from a BF Balcony to a B2 Premium Balcony. No one called, no one sent an email, the upgrade just appeared on our cruise personalizer.

Abracadabra, Thank You, Princess!!

While I am sure that upsells are still alive and well, also, our new assignment was an upgrade.

I would have been happy in the BF balcony, but I am thankful when we are awarded an unexpected complimentary upgrade.

Edited by redtogo

The Upgrade Fairy is alive and well. Just last week, we received an upgrade from a BF Balcony to a B2 Premium Balcony. No one called, no one sent an email, the upgrade just appeared on our cruise personalizer.

Abracadabra, Thank You, Princess!!

While I am sure that upsells are still alive and well, also, our new assignment was an upgrade.

I would have been happy in the BF balcony, but I am thankful when we are awarded an unexpected complimentary upgrade.

Pleased to hear she is alive and well, fingers crossed for our June cruise.

When we booked our cabin, we specifically asked for one on the Plaza deck because of its convenient location. We were asked if we would take an upgrade. We told them only if it was to a disabled cabin on the same deck.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

Nicely done. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Judy !

I was just checking CC this am and saw your post. Hope all is well with you.

We had a mini reunion b2b cruises Nov.3 and NOv. 8 2015 on the Regal. We are still keeping in touch. If you go to the Regal Princess cruises and scroll down to Nov. 8 2015 you will find our roll call. Look for Bugsy and go to his "live from". He had over 100,000 hits. He has tons of pictures of the Regal activities and pictures of us.

Sali