Not Quite 'Live From' Rhapsody, 12th June

Having breakfast in the DL with a wonderful view. ImageUploadedByForums1434605924.503965.jpg.140e618b20dc1d16272b08ad25a60f28.jpg

Azamara Journey are tendering straight into town. We are docked outside, apparently with a choice of a bus for €1.50 or water taxi for €2.00.

Hi cinnamon, not sure what happened to your post from yesterday, but thanks so much for saying hello to Rina for us - she is really a wonderful person. She and her colleague (Patricia from ASpain, who is on Allure now) made our Rhapsody cruises last year just so more enjoyable.

Waiting for you next instalment of your trip.

Sorry, I've posted yesterday's again.

MYKONOS CONTINUED

Another beautiful day but mercifully a little cooler with quite a strong breeze. Maximum today is due to be 25C or 77F. We disembarked around 9.15 and found the Water bus service right by the dock. We are out of town a couple of miles. Two other ships are here, Norwegian Spirit and Azamara Journey but they are anchored in the bay and tendering. The dock is much better for RCCL tours as the buses pull up right alongside the ship. However the water bus has a booth selling tickets for €2.00 pp each way so we bought our return tickets too. No need for correct cash. The boats run every 15 minutes in the morning until most people are ashore and then every half an hour back from the town. I asked what time they stopped running and the answer was 'After all the cruise ships and ferries have sailed!'

I believe there was a bus service for €1.50 each way but I THINK the buses would drop people further away from the town centre. I would not want to drive here! You cannot take cars through the town unless you are prepared to squeeze down tiny alley like lanes as the locals delivering to businesses need to do. As a pedestrian it was difficult enough to keep out of the way of motor scooters and little vans. We had a lovely wander around the lanes, stopping for a coffee first and a freshly squeezed OJ second. Cappuccinos were €3.50 and the fresh OJs €4.00 each. A little dearer than in Chania generally for most things.

Eventually we wound our way out to the famous windmills. One of them looked well cared for and freshly painted. The others, like the Greek Economy, were sorely in need in care and attention. This week all the news is of Grexit and when/if it will happen. Speaking to the locals here it seems Mykonos is doing better than Crete, with lots of tourists flying in and many cruise ships visiting. It must be said that the town was swamped with cruise passengers today. As I was last here on a 6 berth sailing boat (cruiser) in1976 I must admit that there was not much I recognised, other than the 'Little Venice' houses. Although there were plenty of tourist tat shops, away from the harbour side, in the alleyways there were lots of upmarket businesses selling high end clothes and jewellery plus smart looking boutique hotels.

We caught the 12.30 water bus back and were able to sit on top this time. It was VERY windy but fun. It only takes about 13 minutes from the town to the ship's dock.

Today the WJ lunch included a Greek station with some very tasty dishes. Lots of people were having authentic food ashore but we are having so much wonderful food in the specialty restaurants for dinner we decided to have a simple lunch onboard.

We found a shaded, peaceful and reasonably sheltered spot on deck to watch the large number of ship movements in and out of the harbour. The NCL ship left at 3.00 pm.

I've just had my first swim of the cruise in the Solarium pool (salt water) and a dip in a hot but not bubbling Jacuzzi. The weather though is really cooling off, the first clouds are coming and I think a storm may be brewing. So far we've barely felt any movement and not known we were on a ship.

EVENING

Tonight we ate at Giovanni's with the special Indian Curry House menu. It starts from 6.30 pm with a cooking demonstration. This was not brilliant as the main Indian chef was wearing an inefficient head mike. There was feedback and poor quality sound, making it difficult to follow his commentary. I also take issue with having Chicken Tikka Masala which was invented by Brits and is not authentic. Mind you, when the food was served it was delicious. The best curry I've had on any ship. We had good company too with Mrs D and her other half, whose birthday we celebrated. This time the waiter Marlon played a clarinet for the birthday song.

We just made it to the 9.00 pm show, Ballroom Fever. Although we've seen it before it was still enjoyable. The night ended for us with the 70s party in the Centrum. I had a good old bop with the ladies I met a few days ago and found again that by the time I got into bed, the little man on my pedometer was celebrating the number of steps achieved. Yay!

DAY 8 KUSADASI

A note about the DL Concierge. Currently it is Karen from Trinidad but at the end of this cruise she is going to be the Loyalty Ambassador. She has been training up Aline from Rio in Brazil. What a wonderful young lady Aline is. Apparently the Current Concierge in the CL (Amet?) is leaving too and a new Suites Concierge will be arriving for the following cruise.

In 2012 we had a wonderful extensive private tour of Ephesus so are just planning to stay in Kusadasi. After my now customary breakfast of cappuccino, fruit and toast in the DL we met up with Mrs D and her DH to go ashore and find the Hamam for the Turkish bath. The men are not joining us though.

Just spent 40 minutes unsuccessfully trying to find the Hamam and sitting in a coffee shop by the seafront now. Queen Victoria and Thomsom Spirit also in port.

So, the coffee bar was next to a hotel which had a modern Turkish Bath. We may have missed the authentic Hamam experience but Mrs D and I indulged in a Sponge down, soaping and massage. It was certainly interesting. No swimsuit required, we were given an oversized tea towel and lay down on a heated marble slab. What followed in the Turkish bath stays in the Turkish bath, as they say. Suffice to say we had a good time for €40.00. The deep massage which was done in a dry curtained area certainly did what it was supposed to do.

After lunch back with DH in the Park Cafe onboard we are back out a cafe with Wifi by the seafront.

KUSADASI CONTINUED.

We did a little shopping in the Bazaar and returned to the ship in time for a short nap before dinner. In the DL I gave the bar steward Oumesh a WOW card. He has been so good. We were booked in Giovanni's for 7.00. Had wanted 8.00 but it was full from 7.15 to 8.30. After all the rich food of previous nights we chose a little less tonight. We shared the Tomato and Mozzarella salad. DH had a steak and I had the Veal stuffed with mushrooms which was really tasty but again rather rich. We both chose Canoli for dessert but I wasn't keen on it so Oswin served me a spoonful of Tiramisu.

The show tonight was billed as Beatles music, Magical Misstery tour. As ever the clue was in the title. Four girls singing very original arrangements of Beatles songs, partly accompanied by the orchestra and one of them also played piano. They were very good but as an audience we took a while to warm up, partly caused I think by them starting with gentle ballads when I think most of us expected rock music. We had met up again with the two Ladies I have sang and danced with and after having a photo taken together we went upstairs to the pool party. It was cool and windy so we didn't stay long.

DAY 9 AT SEA.

Very sunny again when we woke. The Forecast is for 29C (83 F) so I'm sure the open decks will be packed again with sunbathers. There is a special breakfast at 9.00 in the show lounge for C&A Platinum and above. Also at 10.30 a backstage tour for Diamond and above. Mind you this clashes with an officers cook off in the Centrum which sounds like fun. Passports have to be collected too, times according to cabin deck. It starts at noon for deck 8, our deck 3 is from 1.45-2.30. Last collection time ends at 3.15 for deck 2. DH has offered to queue up for us, only one person needed per party.

DH will start his 24 hour Wifi package later today so he can follow the cricket scores, I can post my blog and tomorrow morning we can check in for our flight on Monday at 10.30. I'm sure the speeds will be very slow with so many onboard but it is the best day for us to have it.

Sitting on the Promenade deck in beautiful sunshine. Not easy to find seats anywhere outside with so many dedicated sun worshippers. I chose to watch the cook-off rather than backstage tour. Also visited the Future Cruise desk. Lovely Swedish girl, Felicia, found us a great price on Navigator out of Southampton for September 2016. The choice was the UK deal, with a Premium drinks package or the US price without. The latter was roughly £375 pp cheaper. We don't need the drinks with the DL or CL by then so opted for the US price.

Had lunch in the MDR, very peaceful.

Formal Dinner tonight in Chops with two other couples we've met onboard. Should be fun.

It is 3.30 pm and we are sailing through the Dardanelles. Not that you would know it from the ship's announcements. Only that Bingo is being played in the theatre. We are passing through one of the most important strategic areas of the 1st World War and very important to all Anzacs. A mention of it by the captain would have been nice. The Monument on the European side is very distinctive with a large Turkish flag flying. I don't know which side is Gallipoli though.

DAY 9 CONTINUED

What a wonderful afternoon and evening. The views as we sailed through the straits for a few hours were great and the weather was perfect. After changing for Formal night we enjoyed drinks in the DL then dinner in Chops with both couples we have got to know. It was a real party evening and the 8.00 pm meal ended at 10.45. Much chat, laughter and fun.

DAY 10 ISTANBUL

We are docked again in Istanbul. Again, great views to wake up to. We are heading into town to visit the Cisterns and have a wander around the Old Town. Pre-cruise we were on an organised tour so it will be good to see places we missed then. Going to try to take the Tram.

The Wifi time runs out shortly so my final instalment may be once we are home, tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.

DAY 10 (ISTANBUL) CONTINUED

We love Istanbul. It is a beautiful and yet chaotic city, dirty in places, spotless in others, with some of the friendliest local people we've met anywhere. Yes, the street vendors are VERY pushy and persistent. They are not aggressive or threatening though. A polite but firm no will eventually succeed even though they have every argument in the book to match your refusal. The pedestrian paths are very uneven and great care is needed when walking around. I have no idea how people pushing wheelchairs managed.

We walked for 15 minutes (slow pace) to the tram stop Tophane, left out of the dock gates towards the Galata Bridge, as instructed by members of the ship's crew. We discovered later though that had we turned right, away from the direction we were heading, that stop is a shorter walk. I forget the name but can look it up once unpacked at home. There are ticket (Jeton) machines that take Turkish coins and notes of 5, 10 or 20 Lira and give change. We bought our tokens, 4 TL each, regardless of distance. The Jeton is a red plastic disc which you put into the turnstile slot to enter the platform. When travelling to the Old Town, make sure you cross the road from the port to head the correct way. The crossing points are at the stations. It was a fairly quick journey to Sultanhamet, with views over the water en route.

We found the ticket office for the Basilica Cisterns (a single story building with a red pantile roof) and paid our 20 TL each entrance fee. I paid an additional 10 TL for the audio guide but it wasn't worth it. You can read the signs which tell you just the same information. Beware. It is very dark, slippery and with lots of steps down and up. It took us quite a few minutes for our eyes to adjust to the gloom but it was well worth it. An incredible place, especially remembering it is 1,500 years old. When we re-emerged into the warm sunshine we sought out a cafe with Wifi. BTW, you come out at a different place from the entrance, around a corner.

We repaired to a restaurant/cafe in a side street. I had a delicious Lemon/Mint tea, served in a Cafetiere type pot (French press). DH had coffee and for our 20 TL we also had very clean toilets and half an hour of fast Wifi which enabled us to check-in for our flights back to LHR. We spent another hour or so wandering through the craft stalls at the Hippodrome, did a little shopping, sat in the shade watching the world go by then caught the Tram back. By 1.00 pm we were back onboard, extremely weary and with over 9,000 steps recorded so far. The return Tram was much busier with lots of passengers standing.

Many people were sunbathing on deck and the WJ was fairly busy for a port day. We did a Trivia, only losing on the Tie-Break, rested a bit, packed the cases then sat out on the Promenade deck for a while. After a welcome shower we checked our bill at GS, collected a photograph that they had to reprint after cutting someone out of the picture and had our final DL drinks, saying goodbye to new friends. Our last dinner was back in Giovanni's with Oswin as our waiter again. It was very quiet in there. On such a beautiful evening in a stunning city we couldn't resist a walk around on deck 10 admiring the lights all around. With the alarm set for 4.30 am we had our luggage outside by 10.00 and lights out by 10.30. Shame it was noisy above us though, as despite being very tired, sleep was illusive for some time.

DAY 11 HOMEWARD

After the chaos of Embarkation, with at least 2 other ships in port today and I think another expected, RCCL decided to commence Disembarkation at 5.00 am for Self-Assist and 5.40 am for coloured tags, which was the time we were assigned. WJ breakfast began at 5.00 with MDR at 5.30. With the alarm set for 4.30 (!!) I woke at 3.15 and couldn't get back to sleep. We were up at the WJ by 5.05 having first discovered it was too early for the bills to have been printed and Guest Services couldn't access the system that early! We'd had a query about our OBC from the future cruise booking which hadn't been credited late last night. However, the bill arrived outside our cabin by 5.30 and all was well.

So at 5.40 we duly reported to MDR deck 5 which was the allocated departure lounge for Platinum, Emerald and Diamonds. It was deserted, with no staff member and no announcements. Eventually someone came, who called up someone else on her radio and told us that Green 2, the first number, had been called. We disembarked, found no queue for Immigration then couldn't find luggage as there was no signage and no staff other than local baggage handlers who didn't speak English. Eventually we found the luggage and went out to await our pre-booked private transfer which was half an hour later. There were no seats and lots of people waiting for other companies. The first RCCL coaches arrived at 6.05 and began loading their airport transfer passengers.

Our driver turned up with a 15 seater minibus for just the 2 of us and with hardly any traffic we were at the airport by 7.00 am. You have to put ALL your luggage on an X-Ray machine to enter the terminal. Not easy with large cases, lifting them up. Then we found that check-in for a 10.30 flight only commenced at 8.00. There seemed to be a distinct lack of seating but at the back of the terminal is a cafe area so we found space at Cafe Nero for a Cappuccino.

After checking-in (with an airline official looking at passports first) we went through Passport Control again. Interesting that there were 4 passport checks to board (plus arrival at the airport) and to leave Turkey there were 3. Including having our photo taken. Once Airside there are dozens of fast food outlets, bakery, Sbarro and Burger King included. This is one occasion when an Airline Lounge would have been very welcome. At 8.50 we got a Gate number. However I couldn't access the free 15 minute Wifi as it wouldn't recognise my UK mobile number which was required for Login. After we arrived at Gate 300 they switched to Gate 202, so quite a few more steps on the pedometer. ;)

I have to say that I am not impressed with Turkish Airlines, however I did watch a movie, The Water Diviner, set in Istanbul in 1919 with flashbacks to Gallipoli. I recognised the skyline shots and a scene in the Cistern which previously would have meant nothing to me.

We were 25 minutes late landing and the baggage took a while. Met our taxi driver though and was home by 2.10 pm UK time.

Now proper Wifi at home. Yay. I am shattered after waking so early but just updating here before having a sleep.

I have brought home all the Cruise Compasses so am happy to answer any questions.

Cinnamon

An extra thought this morning.

Rhapsody had the worst plumbing of any of the 20+ ships we have been on. The toilet brush was needed almost daily with extra water poured into the bowl from a glass.

Sorry if this is TMI but when at home with a proper flushing loo it came to my mind that I hadn't written this. :(

Having said this, in retrospect, because of the great ports, wonderful weather and meeting some really lovely people it was probably in our top 5 cruises out of 35. :) :)

Edited by cinnamon

Thanks so much for the detailed review. I'll be going to Santorini and departing from Istanbul in late September, so the info was helpful. Couple questions:

In Cafe Nero at Istanbul airport, can I assume there were basic breakfast items offered? We have an extremely early flight (6AM on Lufthansa) and are wondering if any breakfast will be available.

In Istanbul for the Cistern, I've heard there are often long lines. Do you remember about what time you got there, and if you had to wait, either for tickets or to get in (or are they the same)? By the way, I think the tram stop north of Tophane is Findliki.

Thanks again, and welcome home!

Edited by roothy123

Well what a great read, I thoroughly enjoyed it! We felt your pain re disembarkation and the airport - we had 3 hours of sitting round before being able to do a bag drop then a further 3 hours before the actual flight, there were others from the cruise that had late afternoon early evening flights so guess I should moan too much! Speak soon

Well what a great read, I thoroughly enjoyed it! We felt your pain re disembarkation and the airport - we had 3 hours of sitting round before being able to do a bag drop then a further 3 hours before the actual flight, there were others from the cruise that had late afternoon early evening flights so guess I should moan too much! Speak soon

I'm leaving from a hotel to go to the airport. I have a very early flight on LH. Therefore, I'm thinking that if I get to the airport 2 hours pre-flight, I will be fine, especially that early in the morning. Do you and Cinnamon think that will be plenty of time? Once you guys found things open for check-in, did things run fairly quickly and smoothly?

Cafe Nero at Istanbul airport, can I assume there were basic breakfast items offered? We have an extremely early flight (6AM on Lufthansa) and are wondering if any breakfast will be

In Istanbul for the Cistern, I've heard there are often long lines. Do you remember about what time you got there, and if you had to wait, either for tickets or to get in (or are they the same)? By the way, I think the tram stop north of Tophane is Findliki.

Thanks again, and welcome home!

There was no queue around 9.45 when we arrived there, although it was fairly busy inside. When we emerged there was a line. Like most sites in Istanbul I think, start as early as possible. I think it opened at 9.00.

There was plenty of food available. DH had an almonds croissant which he said was far superior to the pastries on the ship.

I imagine 2 hours would be fine, as long as it's early and the traffic minimal to get there.

Edited by cinnamon