"Madame, you have paid a very low price....."

OceanMonarch

I would be inclined to ask the Maitre d' just exactly how many staff on board were privy to the price I paid and how it was relevant to a simple request to change my dining time. I am sure all passengers are fully aware that there are no guarantees with the late saver fare but this should not deter them from requesting a change and accepting the outcome...

If the ship is sailing full it's not possible to grant every dining request, thus the fare prioirty system. Nothng wrong with asking for a change, but there is something wrong with demanding a change. While I'm obviously not there to see the entire passenger/Maitre D' exchange, I sometimes speculate how far a passenger tried to pursue their request where if one argument doesn't work then they try another, then another, until finally the answer "no" is considered "lacking in White Star Service ".

I recall a cancelled flight were Ms. Louis Vuitton Carry On repeatedly went to the gate agent arguing that evething "sucks, stinks, and is stupid". Long story short, she didn't get onb the next plane. Human nature being what it is some service people will just write somebody off if they think the passenger is demanding an entitlment they don't deserve. Not saying this is what the OP did but I can see it happening.

Edited by BlueRiband

I would be inclined to ask the Maitre d' just exactly how many staff on board were privy to the price I paid and how it was relevant to a simple request to change my dining time. I am sure all passengers are fully aware that there are no guarantees with the late saver fare but this should not deter them from requesting a change and accepting the outcome.

/QUOTE]

He wouldn't be privy to he price you had paid, just to the type of booking you had. And this is information that he needs to have to run his dining room efficiently. I don't believe all staff would need or want this information but certainly it would be available to purser staff.

David.

If the ship is sailing full it's not possible to grant every dining request, thus the fare prioirty system. Nothng wrong with asking for a change, but there is something wrong with demanding a change. While I'm obviously not there to see the entire passenger/Maitre D' exchange, I sometimes speculate how far a passenger tried to pursue their request where if one argument doesn't work then they try another, then another, until finally the answer "no" is considered "lacking in White Star Service ".

I recall a cancelled flight were Ms. Louis Vuitton Carry On repeatedly went to the gate agent arguing that evething "sucks, stinks, and is stupid". Long story short, she didn't get onb the next plane. Human nature being what it is some service people will just write somebody off if they think the passenger is demanding an entitlment they don't deserve. Not saying this is what the OP did but I can see it happening.

I am the OP and having worked in guest relations most of my adult life I understand that there are in fact, three sides to each and every story. I know that it is very challenging working in the hospitality industry, you work long hours, have very little time off and guests can be very, very demanding; generally my sympathy tends to err on the side of the staff member. Always observing and listening, I will often hand out those little White Star Service comment cards when I observe a staff member handle a difficult guest situation well. And I did this on more than several occasions on both May crossings. I guess I just can't switch off from my day job.:)

I mentioned on my original post that the Maitre d' does have a point (when assessing passenger's requests) but he should have been much more respectful in how he interacted with passengers; they all asked politely (those that I heard) and left when he beckoned the next in line. You are correct when you say that I am not entitled or maybe deserve a particular request (it is just a request after all ) but passengers should always feel valued and that their request will be handled with respect and discretion.

We do not have saver fares in the US just to clear that issue up.

To offer my humble comments to yours, DDBINK1, whatever change there maybe in the world's geopoltical situation has nothing to do with the Eastern European crew's attitudes. For some time, even on HAL, there have been some negative experiences expressed about the good folk who come from those areas, i.e. Pinnacle Grill staff. My experience has been that many of these people have been replaced by the folks from other nationalities, mainly Indonesian and Filipino. The "service culture" is different in these areas than in Eastern Europe, I think.

I have found the Eastern European cultures a bit more gruff around the edges but not in a bad way. Americans tend to be a bit overly happy and gregarious on Vacations. Compare that to some Eastern European natives and they are more reserved and measured around strangers. (at least that is how I see it). Now sometimes there are language translation and emotion translation to interpret between cultures too. It makes for interactions to be difficult but also interesting. The OP noted it could have been some cultural and language issue with how the MD interacted but maybe also a training issue.

I always hope everyone has a great time on their voyages / vacations and doesn't let a short interaction with a crew member make them too upset.

It's not about "class", it's to do with the terms and conditions of the fare booked. On UK bookings there are 3 types of fares - Cunard fares which come with full dining preference choice, Early saver fares which have second prority for dining preference and Saver fares were you don't get to even express a preference.

If dining time/table size is important it's best to book the Cunard fare - there are other benefits of course.

We just book a promotion fare for May, 2016. Free upgrade from Britannica Club to PG2 - "Open dining." What class of fare is this, and will we be affected if we eat in the MDR one night?

I'm a little surprised at some of these responses. Tolerance of poor service perpetuates poor service.

As for your Eastern European friend, in my experience of business dealings with people from that area of the world the use of a phrase such as "but madame, you paid so little" is an invitation for a "tip" to secure the seating preference you desire. A handshake with a $20 bill tucked in it would likely remove the roadblock however distasteful you find that concept.

When Eastern Europeans say no, they really say no, when they add ambiguity to the response there is usually a reason.....

See also FIFA, The International Olympic Committee, and any business deal in Eastern Europe or China (but for a little more than $20).

Edited by Winchester Ranger

...We do not have saver fares in the US just to clear that issue up.

You are correct in that the Cunard/Early Saver/Saver fare structure is only in the UK. However some late promotions in the US will stipulate in the fine print that the fares are guarantee category, no choice of dining time.

Out of interest then, for our American cousins, what Cunard fare structures do they have.

In the UK we have Cunard-full bells and whistles and choices.

Early Saver-2nd choice for the bells and whistles and slightly cheaper.

Saver-Can be a lot cheaper ,but not always, tends to appear much nearer to sail date, with no choice of bells and whistles at all.

They each come with their own set of TC

Do the Americans just have the one set fare (that may fluctuate) with TC , and occasional promo fares that appear anytime with their own set of TC

I think there he explained that he would do what he could, but that it depended on the date of the booking. QUOTE]

But it doesn't. It depends on the contract. If I book a late Cunard fare I will have a guaranteed dining choice. If I choose to book the lower Saver fare I won't.

OK he could he put it better, but what he was saying effectively was "it's not in your contract"

David.

Yes, I agree, balf. I thought that at the time - although they may well have some 'first come first served principle' within the Select or Cunard Fare in case of busy times ? I was editing my post to say this, but I ran out of posting time.

Edited by Scriv

..Do the Americans just have the one set fare (that may fluctuate) with TC , and occasional promo fares that appear anytime with their own set of TC

We in the US have just one fare structure, although the actual number can vary at any point due to the POLAR algorithm. Some have reported seeing a fare change during the same browsing session.

Some sailings from the US will have a special promotion but it will have a specific promotion code which must be used. I've tried mock bookings and using the code won't allow one to chose categories that don't quality for the discount nor any dining options.