"Madame, you have paid a very low price....."

OceanMonarch

First let me say, my husband and I love sailing on the QM2 and will continue to do so whenever we possibly can. But the actions of certain crew members can really have a negative effect on your opinion of Cunard especially if you are first time cruiser or new to Cunard. This is one of those situations (but not the only one) that I experienced recently on the QM2.

“Madame, you have paid a very low price….”

Standing in line to change my dining table selection, I was very surprised to overhear the Asst. Maître d’ of the Britannia dining room say this to several passengers who had requested to change their table/dining time. As each couple approached the desk, he asked when they had booked, proceeded to check his computer and remarked that they had either paid a very low price and/or booked late, including myself. I could see that the passengers were taken aback by the conversation and somewhat embarrassed.

Having been employed in the hospitality industry myself I do not believe the Maître d’ served any purpose by this rather off hand questioning of passengers. He may have a point, but I do not believe this is the way to approach the matter, especially since the conversations could be overheard by others. It was a credit to each of those guests that they left without making a scene. I for one expect more tact, especially from a senior member of staff.

Now that I am home I have thought about this and wondered if this had happened to other passengers recently on the QM2. This was certainly not the only occasion during our two recent voyages where a certain sector of the crew (mainly Eastern European/Russian) were not respectful in the way they dealt with passengers. It may be a cultural/language difference but it is not White Star Service.

Funny thing is when my husband and I sat in the Royal Court Theater one evening, we got chatting to another lady passenger who brought up the subject of the Maître d’ and his offhand manner on embarkation day – she had also been told that she had paid a very low price. She said that she was going to report this to guest relations but the following day when she went to thank the Maître d’ (her dining time had been successfully changed) he gave her a big hug and kiss. Go figure. :confused:

Did anyone else experience this rather bizarre behavior?

Personally, no since I've stayed in PG and don't pay a very low price. But Saver Fares and other late booking promotions don't allow preference of dining time. The maitre d' will try to accommodate requests but it is not possible to give everybody a table for two at the first sitting. These choices should - and do go - to those who paid full whack. And rightfully so.

Yes, you can complain to the Purser but in the end you are getting what Cunard advertised for your fare.

Presumably you and the other passengers were asking to be allocated early dining rather than the late they were given. A more diplomatic approach would have been to point out that their table time was not guaranteed but he would do his best to accommodate them.

But embracing passengers? Kissing them? Not good form, what? I will fully expect to find my room steward dossing down on my bed for an afternoon kip the way things are going.

David.

While I have not experienced what the OP did, my opinion of my Assistant Maitre d' was that he was officious and this was when QM2 was newly placed into service. Since I am considering whether to book another Cunard cruise or not, this is not particularly encouraging behavior from the MDR staff.

I am a bit surprised that his computer gave any indication as to what price a guest paid. That is none of the crew's business. If the ship is sinking, am I to be denied a place in a lifeboat because I paid less than the person before me? (Shades of Titanic!)

A respectful letter about this to Mr. Arnold Donald in Miami, copied to the executive in charge of Cunard Line, seems to me to be warranted.

Maybe the approach should be "Madame, based on your booking date.....".

I find it tacky for a high end line to speak to cruisers based on the price they paid for their cruise.....especially pointing out "very low price" for many to hear....

Not everyone cruises at a low price or books last minute out of choice... sometimes it's work or family commitments that makes people to wait until the last minute. Just because a person has an inside cabin on a lower deck does not mean they paid less "out of choice" to save $$ - could be they prefer insides (for the darkness/sleeping) and lower (for least ship movement).

I believe they could use the phrase "based on booking date" for the reason to be able or not able to change seating would be more tasteful. If it is due to price, then perhaps they could have something on their screen or something and point it out to the people........let them read it for themselves and at least keep it private.

I am a bit surprised that his computer gave any indication as to what price a guest paid. That is none of the crew's business.

A.

Good point...it isn't any of the crew's business except for the front office. Seems like the line is "classy" - but on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd class level distinction - not in the traditional sense of the word. Titanic-esque is correct

First let me say, my husband and I love sailing on the QM2 and will continue to do so whenever we possibly can. But the actions of certain crew members can really have a negative effect on your opinion of Cunard especially if you are first time cruiser or new to Cunard. This is one of those situations (but not the only one) that I experienced recently on the QM2.

Standing in line to change my dining table selection, I was very surprised to overhear the Asst. Maître d’ of the Britannia dining room say this to several passengers who had requested to change their table/dining time. As each couple approached the desk, he asked when they had booked, proceeded to check his computer and remarked that they had either paid a very low price and/or booked late, including myself. I could see that the passengers were taken aback by the conversation and somewhat embarrassed.

Having been employed in the hospitality industry myself I do not believe the Maître d’ served any purpose by this rather off hand questioning of passengers. He may have a point, but I do not believe this is the way to approach the matter, especially since the conversations could be overheard by others. It was a credit to each of those guests that they left without making a scene. I for one expect more tact, especially from a senior member of staff.

Now that I am home I have thought about this and wondered if this had happened to other passengers recently on the QM2. This was certainly not the only occasion during our two recent voyages where a certain sector of the crew (mainly Eastern European/Russian) were not respectful in the way they dealt with passengers. It may be a cultural/language difference but it is not White Star Service.

Funny thing is when my husband and I sat in the Royal Court Theater one evening, we got chatting to another lady passenger who brought up the subject of the Maître d’ and his offhand manner on embarkation day – she had also been told that she had paid a very low price. She said that she was going to report this to guest relations but the following day when she went to thank the Maître d’ (her dining time had been successfully changed) he gave her a big hug and kiss. Go figure. :confused:

This must be raised as a serious issue with Cunard, as MDs are supposed to be pillars of discression, with ALL discussions with ALL guests treated with the full respect of confidentiality, not broadcasted.

As a Cunarder, one is appalled.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

...I am a bit surprised that his computer gave any indication as to what price a guest paid. That is none of the crew's business. If the ship is sinking, am I to be denied a place in a lifeboat because I paid less than the person before me? (Shades of Titanic!)

A respectful letter about this to Mr. Arnold Donald in Miami, copied to the executive in charge of Cunard Line, seems to me to be warranted.

Probably not the exact price, but there would be a code for full freight versus promotions. I disagree with your view 100% because yes, he needs to know this so that the full fare passengers can get priority consideration. I also have to say that your "Titanic lifeboat" comparison is way out of line. You can give a letter to Arnold Donald a try and let us know if you get a response.

...Not everyone cruises at a low price or books last minute out of choice... sometimes it's work or family commitments that makes people to wait until the last minute. Just because a person has an inside cabin on a lower deck does not mean they paid less "out of choice" to save $$ - could be they prefer insides (for the darkness/sleeping) and lower (for least ship movement).

It really doesn't matter why somebody chose to book at a very late saver rate - whether it's work committments or if somebody is just being cheap. If somebody needs an inside in a specific place they'll be booking early because late promotions are generally category guarantees. One could hope for an inside mid-ship but end up with a forward oceanview.

Edited by BlueRiband

I very often book late, at a low price, sometimes so late (2 days before) that I am not even in the dining room system. I have never encountered this. I have always found the Maitre d' to be polite and helpful.

In fact, I am so well-known to the QV Maitre d' that he says 'Ah yes, you like first seating and a large table.'

As for hugs, I generally get a few each voyage on QV. It depends on the relationship you build up with the various staff members. A couple of them are even Facebook friends now.

BlueRiband,

I am not the agrieved party, so there will be no letter from me to Mr. Donald. But, in my estimation which I have had since my 1980 QE2 voyage, clearly, there is a class separation.

When one is dining in the Britannia Restaurant, other than those in the Club section of that venue, when one booked should be of consideration if my experience on other cruise lines is of importance in assigning dining times and tables on Cunard vessels. What one paid is of no importance and for a crew member to take that into consideration is totally wrong in my opinion.

I apologize if I offended you by my Titanic reference, but taking into account as to what one has paid, who one is, etc. offends MY sensabilities.

Do you think the recent development of a new sort of cold war with the Russian Government had anything to do with this??

To offer my humble comments to yours, DDBINK1, whatever change there maybe in the world's geopoltical situation has nothing to do with the Eastern European crew's attitudes. For some time, even on HAL, there have been some negative experiences expressed about the good folk who come from those areas, i.e. Pinnacle Grill staff. My experience has been that many of these people have been replaced by the folks from other nationalities, mainly Indonesian and Filipino. The "service culture" is different in these areas than in Eastern Europe, I think.

This must be a significant cultural prism at work here. Eastern Europeans in general tend to come across as blunt and insensitive, even to their own folks and in their own language, and the language prism when speaking English does not help. But communication is a 2-way street, and listening to staff members, to them it seems that the typical British passenger (i.e. the majority of those they interact with) comes across as condescending and snobbish, while the Americans come across as argumentative. With such unpromising cultural characteristics, a collision course is not so surprising. Naturally, such broad-brush statements are necessarily inaccurate at best, and possibly unfair to those individuals who do not fit their national stereotypes, but considering the large number of staff and passengers, it must have some validity.

It is really hard to teach staff how to behave with customers when their cultural starting point is so much apart. They are trained to perform their job, and they are taught to stonewall and defer to management or customer service for anything they cannot cope with, but sometimes they have to fend off on their own, possibly dealing with less than nice passengers. The bluntness that seems inherent to Slavic culture is a real issue, that will have staff explain to uncooperative passengers that they must not help themselves at the buffet because ‘there is a norovirus outbreak that is caused by passengers not washing their hands after going to the toilet’. This is exactly the way they have been briefed, and they are probably spot on about the fact, but telling it as it is probably not the best way to handle passengers’ sensitivities.

I suppose that it is just the same with passengers not paying the full fare. Staff members know about it, and have been told what it means, without necessarily having absorbed how sensitive that information might be with passengers who are delighted having secured a good deal but may not want it broadcast.

The Maitre D' has to take into account the date if not fare when allocating tables, but I have heard it explained much more diplomatically on P&O.

I think there he explained that he would do what he could, but that it depended on the date of the booking. It sounds as if the man has learned how to say

Edited by Scriv

Reading through this thread a few things come across

There are cultural differences , and with a queue going out of the door, all wanting the same thing, maybe he should have phased the point differently.

When saver fares came out the T and C attached to them state you have no choice in the dining arrangements.

Then when people actually sailed under these fares the ship staff did try and start accommodating the wishes of those people who did not get what they wanted.

There may be many reasons why people book late, you can still pay the full fare quite close to sailing if you want choice.

Would it be better if Cunard stuck to its T and C and if you booked a saver/promo fare, where there is no choice of dining, then you had to stick with what you were given.

The info his has on his screen probably just states cunard/early saver/saver fare (not the amount). He would need that info so he could deal with the swapping.

Same as if you take off the auto grats the household staff will know.

I think there he explained that he would do what he could, but that it depended on the date of the booking. QUOTE]

But it doesn't. It depends on the contract. If I book a late Cunard fare I will have a guaranteed dining choice. If I choose to book the lower Saver fare I won't.

OK he could he put it better, but what he was saying effectively was "it's not in your contract"

David.

On my last cruise, booked four days before departure in New York, I had no table assigned. I spoke to one Maitre d' (from second floor) and was politely but bluntly told that all that remained was second seating. I accepted the fact and said that in that case I would eat in the Lido.

The next day I went to the MDR for lunch, so that at least I would get one MDR experience each day. While there I chatted with the other Maitre d' (third floor - who remembers me from previous voyages) and mentioned how full the ship must be. Without complaining, I explained that I'd decided to have lunch each day in the MDR and dinner in the Lido each night rather than go to second sitting. He immediately said that there was a table that had just come available and he would put me on it. It was the best set of people I've ever sat with, all of us placed there for the first time on night 2.

I thought that was fantastic service and planned to pass him an envelope on the last night, which I had not done in the past. Unfortunately I ended up ill on the last day and went to bed at 5pm instead. I'll have to look out for him when I'm next on in August.

When people book a cruise they know the conditions attached to the price they pay. If they don't like the conditions then book another fare.

Which does not mean that they cannot ask nicely if it is possible to be moved to another dining time. And which does not mean that the Maitre D' should be telling them that their request can't be accommodated due to the low price they paid.

Had he said "Due to the conditions attached to the fare you booked / your late booking date I cannot promise that we will be able to honor your request" I don't think this discussion would be on here. You do not tell customers, in front of other customers, that they were cheap and didn't pay full price hence... not your problem. That's highly unprofessional in any area of customer service.

People book when they book. Some wait for a low price, some look for a vacation and by chance find a low price. Different fares come with different restrictions so I think it's fine if the Maitre D' knows when a guest booked his voyage it's just not on him to tell other guests in public why he can't provide a different dinner seating. Collect requests, make a list, use the necessary criteria to determine who gets to switch (booking date, price, shoe size, eye color) and then let the guests you were able to move know.

Presumably you and the other passengers were asking to be allocated early dining rather than the late they were given.

A more diplomatic approach would have been to point out that their table time was not guaranteed but he would do his best to accommodate them.

But embracing passengers? Kissing them? Not good form, what? I will fully expect to find my room steward dossing down on my bed for an afternoon kip the way things are going.

David.

In my case I was more than happy with late seating. I just requested any table not on the lower floor; the other passengers had a variety of other requests. But nobody that I heard asked for early dining, and a table for 2 by the window. That would have been a little cheeky.:)

Absolutely agree. The Maitre d' is frequently the first member of staff guests have an extended interaction with, and it is important that this interaction follows White Star protocols.

And while Cunard have this facility on embarkation day to assist passengers with dining requests, passengers will continue to ask for changes.

Which does not mean that they cannot ask nicely if it is possible to be moved to another dining time. And which does not mean that the Maitre D' should be telling them that their request can't be accommodated due to the low price they paid.

Had he said "Due to the conditions attached to the fare you booked / your late booking date I cannot promise that we will be able to honor your request" I don't think this discussion would be on here. You do not tell customers, in front of other customers, that they were cheap and didn't pay full price hence... not your problem. That's highly unprofessional in any area of customer service.

People book when they book. Some wait for a low price, some look for a vacation and by chance find a low price. Different fares come with different restrictions so I think it's fine if the Maitre D' knows when a guest booked his voyage it's just not on him to tell other guests in public why he can't provide a different dinner seating. Collect requests, make a list, use the necessary criteria to determine who gets to switch (booking date, price, shoe size, eye color) and then let the guests you were able to move know.

Well said. My thoughts entirely.

I just booked now for an August cruise since we just found out when my husband can get the time off. Okay, we are on a balcony guarantee. We are not cheap and cruise several times a year. This will be our first time on a Cunard ship and this "class" issue has me a little concerned. I hope this is an isolated incident. Still, looking forward to this transatlantic!:)

Living in the US I don't know what you mean by this. :confused:

I just booked now for an August cruise since we just found out when my husband can get the time off. Okay, we are on a balcony guarantee. We are not cheap and cruise several times a year. This will be our first time on a Cunard ship and this "class" issue has me a little concerned. I hope this is an isolated incident. Still, looking forward to this transatlantic!:)

It's not about "class", it's to do with the terms and conditions of the fare booked. On UK bookings there are 3 types of fares - Cunard fares which come with full dining preference choice, Early saver fares which have second prority for dining preference and Saver fares were you don't get to even express a preference.

If dining time/table size is important it's best to book the Cunard fare - there are other benefits of course.

Edited by Host Hattie

I would be inclined to ask the Maitre d' just exactly how many staff on board were privy to the price I paid and how it was relevant to a simple request to change my dining time. I am sure all passengers are fully aware that there are no guarantees with the late saver fare but this should not deter them from requesting a change and accepting the outcome.

I found the female sommelier to be quite rude to one of my table companions on the last night of our cruise (after they had spent a considerable amount on wine evey other evening) and had it been me, I would have complained about her attitude.