I'm thinking of Alaska...

SnowshoeCat

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think my fellow solos will best understand my concerns. So here goes:

I would like to take advantage of a good fare I found for a southbound Alaska voyage on the Millennium (really? it has two "n's" in it :o). Anyway, a little about me. I have traveled solo for much of my adult life. It's only the last few years that I have taken up cruising, and I've had mixed results. I keep trying, hoping to really love it. I love the idea of it. Unpacking once, not worrying about where/when to eat, and even though I'm an introvert and enjoy my own company, I like to meet people, too.

But I also dislike being part of the crowd. I found an active, small-group vacation in Alaska that was more than twice as expensive as the cruise, even with the airfare. Most of the activities were available as shore excursions.

And as far as timing goes, I thought I would prefer September because the kids should be in school, but the August departure actually has a better rate.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking. I would just love to hear your opinions/observations about anything that might help me make a decision. Thanks!

I have sailed the Millennium twice as a solo, once for 11 nights, and once for 16 nights. I have also sailed solo to Alaska, though not on the Millennium. And yes, the two 'n's throw me too.

I would not hesitate. I don't think that the time of the year should be a concern. There generally are fewer children on Alaskan cruises. I have actually done three.

If you have specific concerns, I would be happy to help if I can. Alaska is so worth seeing.

Lesa

Hi,:) I have been sailing solo with Celebrity for many years and yes, it is

spelled Millennium. I would say go and have a great time:). I just sailed

to Alaska last month~I went on Solstice. I had a wonderful week:D

and hope you will too!...I have sailed Millennium twice over the years

and enjoyed both of my cruises on her.......go and have fun!:D

I'm booked on the 9/11 Solstice 11-night Alaska this year. Never been, and am very excited (if I can only get myself to pull the trigger on final payment next weekend!).

Not sure what your concern is. You say you don't want to "be part of the crowd." Does that mean you'd rather be in a small group than on a ship with 2,000+ people? Then by all means, the small-group vacation might be the right choice.

Is it just the shore excursion part that's not appealing? I agree, the farm herding that can often happen with ship excursions can be off-putting. For Alaska, where practical, I'm going with smaller private tours. But I'll have a few of the ship ones, and just have to deal with that.

You know yourself best. Trust your gut and have fun!

I think private shore excursions might be the answer. Join the roll call, see if other people have arranged any you could join, and research others if not. Never been to Alaska, but most cruise ports seem to have private alternatives.

I'll be solo on the Sept 4 Millennium sailing southbound so you wouldn't be the only one! :-) And the ship still has about 200 empty cabin so prices may yet go down.

Sally

This is the sailing I'm looking at. The rates are good (I may even spend the extra for an OV), and equally important, the airfare is good. There are some great deals on summer sailings, but the airfare is high, and the connections are bad. I'm picky about my flights.

I am doing a 14night solo trip on Norwegian Sun. Had not planned it but the rates were too compelling. The. Cruise starts June 29, 2015 this Monday. I am excited. Go for it.

I agree. Thanks for the heads up. See you onboard!!

I've done a lot of solo travel also, in all varieties. Sometimes I am introverted and sometimes not. I like my alone time but sometimes I feel like chatting with someone. Never really had a problem finding someone to talk to.

I think my biggest problem with solo cruising is the dining. I usually like to eat with someone and preferably not someone new at each meal. It becomes quite repetitious to answer all the first encounter questions - where are you from, what do you do, etc. So I usually opt for a large group fixed dinner seat. It gives me someone to chat with each evening about the happenings of the day. The problem here is that with so many options available for dining each night, some nights you end up at a large table with only a few people.

Still lots of room on the Sept 4 Millie!

Sally

There's a ton of good Alaska deals right now. So many choices. Is there a preferred itinerary amongst those that have done it?

I much prefer those cruises that leave and return to Vancouver over those from Seattle. For the former, you go INSIDE Vancouver Island, where there is a lot to see, and calm sea. For the latter, you go OUTSIDE Vancouver Island, where you are fairly far off-shore, and can encounter some pretty heavy waves.

I also much prefer Glacier Bay to trips that include Tracy Arm. They only allow a few ships daily into Glacier Bay National Park, so many itineraries do not include this.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to experience an Alaska cruise. Is there a preferred itinerary, and best time of the year?

I'm in the UK, so would expect the air fares to be high.

Hi,:) I went to Alaska for the the 4th time back in May:D...I got really

lucky with the weather......it was sunny EVERY DAY:D....with rain only

part of the day while we were in Ketchikan.....but the rest of the

day the sun was shining.

Everyone has their opinions about when to go.....you have to remember

the Alaska season is short......starts in late April/Early May and ends

in Mid September.

I cruised in Alaska later in May last year and the weather was lovely. Have only been in that part of the world once, so can't say if it was lucky or usual weather for that time of year.

One thing you might want to consider is the type of activities you would like to do in port. From what I can remember, some excursions have a very limited "season ". For example, the dog sledding ones. The ports of call boards may be of assistance on this point. I hope you get to go and have a great time.

I just booked the August 21 Millennium cruise. It will be my second cruise as a solo . The first was just a short 4 day Caribbean and I did fine. This will be a little different, but I am excited. The price was extremely good for 1 person.

Just got back from 17 days in Alaska, 14 nights cruising. There was a lot of kids running around the ship. I am not used to that because I usually cruise while schools are in session. I absolutely loved Alaska and the cruise, not the food,lol. You can enjoy yourself in spite of parents letting their kids run around unaccompanied on the ship, in the night clubs at midnight, etc.

I cruised in Alaska later in May last year and the weather was lovely. Have only been in that part of the world once, so can't say if it was lucky or usual weather for that time of year.

One thing you might want to consider is the type of activities you would like to do in port. From what I can remember, some excursions have a very limited "season ". For example, the dog sledding ones. The ports of call boards may be of assistance on this point. I hope you get to go and have a great time.

Yes, I wanted to do a whale watching on Monday but that was over because the whales had already migrated I was told.[emoji19]

• 1 month later...