Restrictions on redeeming RCI Visa points?

OK, I've done a search on this and managed to get myself more confused than I was when I started. :)

I want to redeem some points for a fare discount on a cruise booked under BOGOHO. But under the conditions tab on the redemption site there is the following language:

"...Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain's Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits..."

So my question is: Will I forfeit my balcony discount by applying points to this reservation since it is a C&A benefit?

Excuse me, but I want to weigh in here with a RANT......

We have always saved our points up until we have the 125,000 for a Free 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, and then use the points for that. You get more value that way because the price of the Ocean View Cabin can be as much as $2,500 (instead of only 1,250).:cool:

Anyway, When we tried to redeem our points on a cruise we already had booked, we were told we could NOT use them because of the BOGOHO sale.

I argued "It has been going on now for 2 1/2 YEARS and it's really not a sale because they are discounting 25% and they raised the prices 30%!!

"Too Bad" was RCI's reply.

Besides That, it is not even costing RCI anything because Bank of America is footing the bill! :mad:

You CAN however, use the points for reduction in price (at 1 dollar per 100 points) or for OBC.

So, after 15 years of putting EVERYTHING on our Visa Card, I have used up our points as cruise discounts, and am canceling the card - IT'S USELESS, and I can get much better returns with other cards.

Excuse me, but I want to weigh in here with a RANT......

We have always saved our points up until we have the 125,000 for a Free 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, and then use the points for that. You get more value that way because the price of the Ocean View Cabin can be as much as $2,500 (instead of only 1,250).:cool:

Anyway, When we tried to redeem our points on a cruise we already had booked, we were told we could NOT use them because of the BOGOHO sale.

I argued "It has been going on now for 2 1/2 YEARS and it's really not a sale because they are discounting 25% and they raised the prices 30%!!

"Too Bad" was RCI's reply.

Besides That, it is not even costing RCI anything because Bank of America is footing the bill! :mad:

You CAN however, use the points for reduction in price (at 1 dollar per 100 points) or for OBC.

So, after 15 years of putting EVERYTHING on our Visa Card, I have used up our points as cruise discounts, and am canceling the card - IT'S USELESS, and I can get much better returns with other cards.

I feel much the same way. There are better cards to use. Royal's card was good when we could get up to 4% back on the "free cruise" type redemptions, but since all fares are now some sort of "special" (but not less expensive) fare, and since we cannot use the C&A balcony discount with the "free" cruise redemption, then there is not much incentive to use Royal's card.

I would suggest you call them for the discount. I applied mine online and it was first declined because of the bogo sale and then was decided it could be used .. was a big mess for a while.

Good post, I almost expected such a good thing could happen. That's probably why I just go the OBC route. Not the most efficient use of points, but with the limited points I get each year, it is at least something. This time it paid for my Nellie's cabana.