tipping for retreat cabanas

retiredkid

we have booked a cabana for our 19 day cruise. do I tip the attendants (is that what they are called?) every time they do something for us like bring a meal or a drink, or do it daily, or like we do for the others, place something in an envelope and deliver it on the second last day? TIA

We had a retreat cabana for a 21 day cruise last January. It was really a b2b 10 and 11 day, so we tipped the attendants after the first leg (because one of them was reassigned to another area) and again at the end of the second leg.

The cabana attendants are part of the bar staff, but you will (should?) have the same attendants for the entire cruise. My practice for staff that are assigned to me for the duration (room stewards, waiter and assitant waiter, wine attendant and concierge) is to provide any additional tipping in cash on the last night. I would do the same for cabana attendants.

It is important to note, however, that beverage attendants participate in service charge sharing differently. Waiters and room stewards share in the daily hotel service charge; beverage attendants share in the 15% service charge on drink sales. Depending upon how much you have purchased in the way of drinks while in the cabana, you may want to adjust your tipping accordingly.

We tipped a little each day, and a slightly larger amount with a note at the end of each week. That was in case there was a staff change. I'd play it by ear. Some of the attendants are excellent. Some are just OK. Like anything else, show your appreciation based on the service level.

We had a retreat cabana for a 21 day cruise last January. It was really a b2b 10 and 11 day, so we tipped the attendants after the first leg (because one of them was reassigned to another area) and again at the end of the second leg.

This is important because generally speaking they are usually up there for a couple of cruises based on the attendants I have talked with.

I have always tipped on the last day of the cruise (the day before you debark). That said there was one time I didn't tip. I never ever ask them to get my lunch so all I ask them to do is ice the water. They didn't even do that. I told them that was all I wanted from them and he even admitted that he didn't keep up on that. Generally the service I've had has been really good.

This is important because generally speaking they are usually up there for a couple of cruises based on the attendants I have talked with.

I have always tipped on the last day of the cruise (the day before you debark). That said there was one time I didn't tip. I never ever ask them to get my lunch so all I ask them to do is ice the water. They didn't even do that. I told them that was all I wanted from them and he even admitted that he didn't keep up on that. Generally the service I've had has been really good.

We asked if they were both going to be there for the 2nd leg of our trip. One was, one wasn't. That was why we tipped at the end of the 1st leg as well as at the end of the 2nd leg. Because we were the only ones up there every day except one on our 21 day trip, we got some pretty exclusive service. Oh, there were days (only a few) where there were several others up there, but, most days, it was just us. If we had an excursion on a port day, we'd drop our stuff in our cabin, then head up for our cabana when we got back to the ship. Retiredkid, you're going to love the experience.

Excellent info, guys. thanks. Luna, I think it was smart to ask if they would be with us for both legs. I will use that info and tip accordingly.

Another question... (sorry if I'm a pest)

Are the hours posted for the cabanas referring to the 'staffed' hours? Or does it mean that we cannot use it outside of the posted hours either?

Again, thanks.

Are the hours posted for the cabanas referring to the 'staffed' hours? Or does it mean that we cannot use it outside of the posted hours either?

Again, thanks.

They'll occasionally use the area for a private party or a cabana dinner. For the most part, the hours refer to staffed hours. We never tried to head to the cabanas way outside the posted hours though.

We asked if they were both going to be there for the 2nd leg of our trip. One was, one wasn't. That was why we tipped at the end of the 1st leg as well as at the end of the 2nd leg. Because we were the only ones up there every day except one on our 21 day trip, we got some pretty exclusive service. Oh, there were days (only a few) where there were several others up there, but, most days, it was just us. If we had an excursion on a port day, we'd drop our stuff in our cabin, then head up for our cabana when we got back to the ship. Retiredkid, you're going to love the experience.

It's nice when it's like that. I was on the Noordam in April and it wasn't super busy. We did get some squatters one day :eek:. It was quite busy on the NA in November 2014.

Excellent info, guys. thanks. Luna, I think it was smart to ask if they would be with us for both legs. I will use that info and tip accordingly.

Again, thanks.

I want to say the hours are 9-5 but don't quote me on that. As POA stated there may be a cabana dinner so we might be booted out at around 3:30 that day. One poster mentioned on another thread about going up and sitting in there after hours with some wine. That will appeal to me since I won't have an outside perch on this cruise. I've never done it at night so I can't comment. There would be no bar service at that time. Not sure how light it would be either.

I would just like to sit with DH in peace and quiet with a glass of wine or a cuppa coffee. I surely don't want, nor need, to be waited on. So if we can sit in our cabana really early in the morning or a little later at night, that would be perfect. thanks again for all the replies, cruisers.

I would just like to sit with DH in peace and quiet with a glass of wine or a cuppa coffee. I surely don't want, nor need, to be waited on. So if we can sit in our cabana really early in the morning or a little later at night, that would be perfect. thanks again for all the replies, cruisers.

I think it would likely be fine except on the evening of the cabana party should they have it.

I want to say the hours are 9-5 but don't quote me on that. As POA stated there may be a cabana dinner so we might be booted out at around 3:30 that day. One poster mentioned on another thread about going up and sitting in there after hours with some wine. That will appeal to me since I won't have an outside perch on this cruise. I've never done it at night so I can't comment. There would be no bar service at that time. Not sure how light it would be either.

We tried one evening around 9pm. We brought up a bottle of wine and glasses, but security kicked us out.:eek:

Virtually everything else on a ship has a tip built into the charge. Is it different with a cabana? If there is a tip built in, why would you tip extra?

DON

I'm not sure how a tip would be included. The stewards are from the beverage dept. no drinks, no tip. That said, no one is under any obligation to tip.

Hey cruz chic, we had our cabana experience on Noordam, too. We enjoyed it so much that we've already reserved a cabana on Nieuw Amsterdam next March. We also enjoyed watching the attendants chase out potential "squatters" (after politely explaining the area, of course).

We never tried to use the cabana outside of the stated hours. We usually go to the dining room for breakfast, which doesn't open until 8AM. After breakfast, we'd go for our walk, then pick up our books and whatever else we wanted with us for the day and head up to the cabana. Sometimes we'd order lunch from the limited menu and other times we'd go down to the Lido. My favorite part was the strawberries and champagne every afternoon.

Hey cruz chic, we had our cabana experience on Noordam, too. We enjoyed it so much that we've already reserved a cabana on Nieuw Amsterdam next March. We also enjoyed watching the attendants chase out potential "squatters" (after politely explaining the area, of course).

We never tried to use the cabana outside of the stated hours. We usually go to the dining room for breakfast, which doesn't open until 8AM. After breakfast, we'd go for our walk, then pick up our books and whatever else we wanted with us for the day and head up to the cabana. Sometimes we'd order lunch from the limited menu and other times we'd go down to the Lido. My favorite part was the strawberries and champagne every afternoon.

Once you've had a cabana it's hard to do without.

Tipping on a cruise is done on the last evening...not daily and certainly not "service by service"!

Golly! We've been breaking your rules for decades. I told my wife that we were "doing it wrong," and that there are hard and fast rules on how to tip on a cruise ship. She's distraught. I'm deeply saddened. In fact, I'm crying so hard that the tears are running down my legs. :)

Edited by POA1

Golly! We've been breaking your rules for decades. I told my wife that we were "doing it wrong," and that there are hard and fast rules on how to tip on a cruise ship. She's distraught. I'm deeply saddened. In fact, I'm crying so hard that the tears are running down my legs. :)

:D:D:D

Now that really made me LOL!

Tipping on a cruise is done on the last evening...not daily and certainly not "service by service"!

Well, ignoring the fact that bar and spa services have a service charge added each time they are provided, for staff who have served you for the entire voyage, that's certainly appropriate.

But there are occasions where you receive one-time services and where tipping with the service are appropriate--such as room service delivery, for example.

It's a Canadian and American thing. We can't help ourselves. Where I'm from, if you want to express discontent with service or food, you only leave a 10% tip. It's supposed to be a statement. Only if you're really dissatisfied do you leave no tip. So it's not surprising that on both sides of the border we just have to tip for extra services in the moment to ensure it gets to the intended destination and not a tip pool. Neither method is wrong and I'm sure (not that I'm in the know) the ship service industry is used to both. But I will say that when I was younger I went on a get-out-of-town cruise to cheer up a friend. We had a wonderful time and servers were super attentive. People couldn't help us enough. I thought it was because we were young, beautiful and having a party. Haha! We just didn't read the part where service charges were included... I see now and laugh out loud